: trouble viewing site in IE

pjm
Apr 15th, 2010, 02:23 AM
I am putting together a little site (4 Keys Media (http://www.4keys.ca)). I design and upload from my Mac. I can view the site without issue in Safari, Firefox, and Chrome but have problems when viewing the site in IE. Does anyone know if this is because I am using a Mac to put the site up? Or what I can possibly do to resolve this issue with the site in IE? Thanks for your time.

groovetube
Apr 15th, 2010, 08:43 AM
I there, looks fine on IE7 from here

broad
Apr 15th, 2010, 08:44 AM
are you using the mac version of IE? its unsupported and borderline useless on today's web

grubincan
Apr 15th, 2010, 09:17 AM
What problems exactly? and which version of IE?

If you just mean the header font - that's likely because the font you chose is probably not installed on the PC. Most people would go with an image for a fancy title - but you could also use a downloadable font (see sites like this: Font Squirrel | Handpicked free fonts for graphic designers with commercial-use licenses. (http://www.fontsquirrel.com/) for more info on using @font-face )

SINC
Apr 15th, 2010, 09:38 AM
Here's how your site looks in IE8 via VMWare Fusion:

johnnyspade
Apr 15th, 2010, 12:01 PM
It looks like the world of web design is pretty new to you. One of the best ways to hone your skills is to pick your site apart and see how it renders in different browsers. It's really the best way to learn. Comb through the source of other sites as well to see how their put together.

As another poster has indicated you've specified a font for that header - Chalkboard - that very few will have so it's going to render in their default font. And you haven't even listed any backups for the font-family so the browser can't even move to your second choice.

Paddy
Apr 15th, 2010, 12:04 PM
If you want a font similar to Chalkboard that is installed on pretty much every computer in the universe, use Comic Sans. Would I actually recommend that font though, from a design perspective? Uh, no. It doesn't project a professional image (neither does Chalkboard, actually) - it's the sort of font you'd find on an elementary school site (and overused there too). Either use something a tad more sophisticated, or if you want to use Chalkboard, make the header an image. Headers as images are ok - but read on.

You should also consider doing your layout in CSS - tables-based layout has pretty much gone the way of the dodo. And validate your pages and CSS using the validators at w3c.org - you've got quite a few errors at the moment. If you're going to use XHTML, remember to close all your tags etc.

A few other notes - the Whistler Happy Pets site has stretched pictures on the index page (almost all of them!) - looks really bad as a result. And the text boxes in this case should not be images - the text is all different sizes and weights and the text should absolutely be search-engine readable, which it is not when it's an image. These aren't headers - they're vital bits of information.

G-Mo
Apr 15th, 2010, 12:06 PM
It's impossible to guess what the issue might be, without knowing what version of IE your question refers to. To be honest, it seems to have various problems in multiple versions of IE as well it has minor display issues with Firefox, Chrome and Opera on a PC (some of that has to do with font choices, others with code choices).

To be honest, and I don't want to be rude here, there's a lot of problems with the site right from the design to the code. For a site that on it's homepage states that "[w]eb design is our specialty. We take pride in our work, so when we build your site it has to not only meet your needs, but our own high quality standards," the site itself does a poor job of reflecting those standards.

a7mc
Apr 15th, 2010, 12:59 PM
To be honest, and I don't want to be rude here, there's a lot of problems with the site right from the design to the code. For a site that on it's homepage states that "[w]eb design is our specialty. We take pride in our work, so when we build your site it has to not only meet your needs, but our own high quality standards," the site itself does a poor job of reflecting those standards.

Man, I'm glad someone said something. It sucks to have to lay out the truth, but facts are facts. If you have to ask a question as simple as this, you have no place designing web pages for others. Period.

Aside from that, every browser, especially IE 6 and 7 in particular, deals with HTML and CSS rendering in their own way. You need to know those differences and account for them with browser targeted CSS if you want the site to look the same across all browsers. If you don't know how to do this, go back and re-read my first paragraph.

A7

Paddy
Apr 15th, 2010, 01:29 PM
Man, I'm glad someone said something.

+1

I was trying very hard to be encouraging without being too negative...pjm clearly has a great deal to learn at the moment.

We all have to start somewhere, but usually it's a good idea to have a certain level of expertise before you start marketing your services to others. ;) There are scads of online resources - either start there, or take a class.