: Pile of scrapped Imacs

SaltyG4
Apr 14th, 2010, 08:01 AM
Was at the Toronto hazardous waste dump a couple of days ago on Commisioners street. Saw a whole pile of nice looking flat screen Imacs just sitting there. I bet you can't reclaim them, but you never know. Now that was a waste.

lastman2009
Apr 14th, 2010, 08:27 AM
Not so valuable that they can be trashed but far too valuable to give away to someone who could use one

Ain't capitalism great!!!?!!

IllusionX
Apr 14th, 2010, 09:54 AM
ahh..

entreprises will usually throw them out. at least big ones do. Other will use them until they literally break down.. ie no longer usable.

but Staples stores and some other places will take your old computers and recycle them.. as parts or as a whole for 3rd world countries or for education.

SoyMac
Apr 14th, 2010, 10:12 AM
That's a shame. :(

I would think that most cities have a "Take it Back" program for electronics.

In Ottawa, see:
http://www.computerrecyclersottawa.com/

pcronin
Apr 14th, 2010, 10:28 AM
Enterprise and Gov'mnt policies about computer equipment disposal prevent giving away or selling old equipment. Most now require them to be sent to recyclers that dispose of them, opposed to donating to students/staff/low income folk.

It is a mini tragedy to be sure.

monokitty
Apr 14th, 2010, 11:32 AM
All those iMacs likely have problems with them (bad screen, or bad logic board, or bad something else). I doubt they're in working order to donate to the needy.

andreww
Apr 14th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Agreed. Companies (even the government) will pass on working computers to employees before they went to the dump. If any of them worked they would have been snapped up by somebody.

mguertin
Apr 14th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Agreed. Companies (even the government) will pass on working computers to employees before they went to the dump. If any of them worked they would have been snapped up by somebody.

Not true in many cases, as an early poster pointed out many many gov't and other large companies have policies in place that prevent them from being able to do that. When the machines are "retired" they have to be destroyed to ensure no critical data gets out there. Any companies that have to adhere to the Sarbanes Oxley legislation for example will likely not be able to sell/give away/redistribute their machines at all. They must be destroyed.

Gene B
Apr 14th, 2010, 02:00 PM
No problem getting rid of old computers here in Brantford.

The Personal Computer Museum, Brantford, Ontario, CANADA (http://www.pcmuseum.ca/donations.asp)

monokitty
Apr 14th, 2010, 08:10 PM
Not true in many cases, as an early poster pointed out many many gov't and other large companies have policies in place that prevent them from being able to do that. When the machines are "retired" they have to be destroyed to ensure no critical data gets out there. Any companies that have to adhere to the Sarbanes Oxley legislation for example will likely not be able to sell/give away/redistribute their machines at all. They must be destroyed.

Stupid. It'd be better to remove hard drives and destroy those. Then give away or sell the rest of the machine. Of course, with complicated machines like iMacs, removing hard drives from dozen of these machines at a time would involve enormous labor. In that case, it really is easier to just junk the machine as a whole - and costs less to do so, even if it is a waste.

Trevor...
Apr 14th, 2010, 08:31 PM

That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard and SOX says nothing of the sort, further sending computers with sensitive material to a computer recycler is just about the stupidest thing you could do if your looking to keep data secure.

Not so valuable that they can be trashed but far too valuable to give away to someone who could use one

Yeah... when I was involved in preparing computers for donation there was nothing we liked more than somebody sending us a pallet of their garbage - the odds of any of those machines being economically repairable is slim to none.

mguertin
Apr 14th, 2010, 09:58 PM
That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard and SOX says nothing of the sort, further sending computers with sensitive material to a computer recycler is just about the stupidest thing you could do if your looking to keep data secure.

Not sure where you've read all the SOX stuff from or if it's changed since it came into being, but when I had to implement it there was a whole section on how you had to deal with machines that had any sort of access to any accounting data (which in a big company is pretty much all the machines) and they had to be destroyed by a company certified to destroy data (in our case it was somewhere in markham) and I had to witness the machines going through the muncher.

Maybe it was an internal thing for the large company that we were bought out by (which was the reason we had to do SOX compliancy) ... but I'm pretty sure it was part of the SOX compliancy itself at the time.

As far as ridiculous I agree, but not a policy I set into place, I was just a peon following the rules :D

greydoggie
Apr 15th, 2010, 03:15 AM

That depends on what department and maybe what level of employee. A lot of them if you want to keep your old computer they will set it up for you for home use and if you need just a hard drive for some reason they will let you take that too with the right paper work filled out.