: My eMac is six years old today...

dona83
Apr 13th, 2010, 12:10 PM
I bought my eMac when I sold my MBP to get a PC ultraportable for work but still wanted to stay in the Mac world somehow. I've since sold that ultraportable to get a way faster ultraportable but my eMac which turned six years old yesterday (this gen was released on April 13, 2004) is still going very strong and I see me eventually passing this computer down to my son when he's old enough to use a computer. It's not the fastest machine for sure but there is really nothing it can't do and the G4 1.25Ghz seems to outperform an Intel Atom 1.6Ghz any day. It makes me wonder that anyone considerring a netbook or nettop should be considerring a used iBook G4 or eMac/iMac G4 instead. Not it's not brand new but it's a lot more computer for the same money or less!

Now I'm just waiting for Autodesk to finally put their money where their mouths are and release AutoCAD for Mac so I can finally trade my ultraportable for a MacBook Air!

SINC
Apr 13th, 2010, 12:27 PM
My eMac is about the same age, a 1.25 Ghz bought new as well. It sits, not even plugged in, down in the basement, but last I used it, it was still a great machine. I have never thought about what I might do with it now that I have both a Mini and a MBP, not to mention an original Bondi Blue iMac.

i-rui
Apr 13th, 2010, 12:52 PM
the biggest problem with G4s is their flash performance. Other than that they're still good machines for everyday computer tasks.

Bjornbro
Apr 13th, 2010, 03:50 PM
Now I'm just waiting for Autodesk to finally put their money where their mouths are and release AutoCAD for Mac...
Are you just wishing or have you actually heard something? (ehMac needs an excited anticipation emoticon.)

dona83
Apr 13th, 2010, 10:39 PM
Are you just wishing or have you actually heard something? (ehMac needs an excited anticipation emoticon.)

I've heard something for the past four years... :(

Bjornbro
Apr 14th, 2010, 02:03 AM
I've heard something for the past four years... :(
Yeah, me too. :-( I just thought, no hoped, that there was something new announced.

dona83
Apr 20th, 2010, 01:32 PM
Well lookee lookee, beta version of AutoCAD 2011 for Mac has been leaked, Photoshop or real? Who knows!

AutoCADder: AutoCAD 2011 natively on Mac? (http://autocadder.blogspot.com/2010/01/autocad-2011-natively-on-mac.html)

Mac native AutoCAD 2011 sighted in beta SDK | Architosh (http://architosh.com/2010/04/mac-native-autocad-201-sighted-in-prbeta-sdk/)

bgw
Apr 21st, 2010, 12:24 AM
My eMac is stored safely away in its box:(. I hope to bring it out one day and upgrade it.

ldphoto
Apr 21st, 2010, 12:56 AM
I have a 1.25GHz USB 2.0 eMac acting as my media server with a 1.5TB external drive. I may retire it soon though, and either sell it or keep it as a computer for guests to use. I bought it used for a couple hundred dollars about a year ago.

Luc

switch
Apr 22nd, 2010, 11:00 AM
Happy B-day to your eMac!!! I had a 1Ghz eMac with USB 1.1. It was my first Mac ever and loved every moment of it. Now i'm using an old G5 and a newish MBP. Once I made the leap to using a Mac, I never looked back! The eMac was an awesome machine.

digitddog
Apr 22nd, 2010, 06:17 PM
Happy B-day to your eMac!!! I had a 1Ghz eMac with USB 1.1.

My sister has exactly the same model (or perhaps even the version earlier) and continues to use it faithfully to this day. It's a terrific machine that's run flawlessly all these years. I keep thinking she should upgrade, but can't think of one valid reason she really should.