: Amazon is Coming to Canada

DavidH
Apr 12th, 2010, 05:22 PM
The Feds have cleared Amazon to open up shop here in Canada.
I am glad they are opening up here, and they should not have had to jump thru so many hoops.

I get very frustrated with "Canadian Politics" trying to dictate Canadian Media Content.

The books that are going to be available for the iPad are going to be very limited for the same reason i.e. Government Regulation on Canadian Content.

Other examples include not getting the Pandora Application or Hulu.

Oh well at least one small victory today.
DavidH

Sorry I should have included the link to the story which just came out today.
Amazon cleared to open warehouse - The Globe and Mail (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/amazon-cleared-to-open-warehouse/article1531726/)

I am not sure what they will be carrying.

wonderings
Apr 12th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Does this mean we will have access to all the things on the Amazon.com store? The Canadian store currently is limited to books movies and music, where as the US its pretty much everything but the groceries.

RunTheWorldOnMac
Apr 12th, 2010, 05:34 PM
Huh? Amazon has been here for years... what do you mean? Are they now able to sell everything else that amazon.com sells?

wonderings
Apr 12th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Huh? Amazon has been here for years... what do you mean? Are they now able to sell everything else that amazon.com sells?

They have always had to ship from the states. Now they can have a warehouse in Canada. Some group of small book store owners, or something of that nature was petitioning that they would not be allowed in Canada. Not surprised they let Amazon in.

i-rui
Apr 12th, 2010, 05:41 PM
Does this mean we will have access to all the things on the Amazon.com store? The Canadian store currently is limited to books movies and music, where as the US its pretty much everything but the groceries.

thats what i want to know. in the past they had some great prices on electronics and software, but couldn't ship those items to canada.

wonderings
Apr 12th, 2010, 05:46 PM
thats what i want to know. in the past they had some great prices on electronics and software, but couldn't ship those items to canada.

I have bought 5 or 6 watches from Amazon.com in the past. Lately its getting harder to find watches they will ship to Canada. The price and variety they have is unmatched from what I have found.

RunTheWorldOnMac
Apr 12th, 2010, 06:56 PM
This story doesn't really elude to what this means; hopefully it means they can sell other goods.

Amazon gets approval for Canadian distribution centre (http://www.cbc.ca/fp/story/2010/04/12/2874877.html)

mgmitchell
Apr 12th, 2010, 09:54 PM
So, we'll be able to buy mp3's? LIkely not, huh.

zlinger
Apr 13th, 2010, 12:27 AM
I noticed that you can buy Bacon-wrapped Filet of Top Sirloin Steaks on Amazon.com... I hope they have same day delivery if they try this in Canada?

chas_m
Apr 13th, 2010, 01:31 AM
Reading this story more closely indicates that it has diddly-squat effect in the near-term on Amazon.ca. It just means that they can improve their distribution (lower costs, hopefully) of delivering goods to Canada.

In the LONG TERM this will likely help Amazon.ca to suck less and be more like Amazon.com, but that will probably take time.

soon2bemac
Apr 13th, 2010, 12:09 PM
I always assumed they just used a partner to ship in Canada as i've just about always got everything I've ordered next day even though the free shipping says 4-7 days or something.

Not sure what difference this will make but if it opens up other stuff thats only on the .com site I think that would be cool. If thats the case I think I can finally just give everyone Amazon gift certificates for all occasions now.

mguertin
Apr 13th, 2010, 01:19 PM
This story means that instead of using 3rd party fulfilment warehouses they will now be able to open and use their own. This means that they will be allowed to buy goods inside canada to ship to their consumers in canada. Up until this point they most likely had to buy US merchandise and do all of the paperwork and costs to clear it across the border and let it sit in a 3rd party warehouse.

This means shorter supply chain which hopefully means price reduction for what they do sell in canada, but I'm not going to hold my breath. At the end of the day it means amazon gets to make more money and whoever was doing their 3rd party fulfilment here in canada will be crying and/or scrambling to try and find someone to fill their bins. Who knows ... maybe amazon will just buy whatever company is already doing their fulfillment here and just rebrand it.

Atroz
Apr 13th, 2010, 09:29 PM
I read some place else that Amazon had been using CanadaPost for this fulfilment and now that they can go it alone they switched to UPS.
BAD NEWS.
I really liked Amazon for their usage of CanadaPost as they were convenient for me. Generally dropping off packages in my secure mailbox. I hope they give UPS the OK to leave the package at the door and nobody takes it. I don't want to be running to the far side of town by 6pm to pick up my shipments. If this is what happens, then I'll be unlikely to continue with Amazon.

Smoothfonzo
Apr 16th, 2010, 05:23 PM
I read some place else that Amazon had been using CanadaPost for this fulfilment and now that they can go it alone they switched to UPS.

If that's true, then that's disappointing. Starting last year, I noticed a big difference in the speed they'd ship things, mostly due to CanadaPost, at least where I'm located. I hope they keep it as an option. I've always had mediocre experiences with UPS. They always seem to take their time, and I could only imagine people would complain if it went back to being slow again.

Paddy
Apr 16th, 2010, 06:53 PM
I don't think they'll do this for shipping absolutely everything in Canada, but it would appear that they're getting close. In the US, they use the US Postal Service for any smaller packages that are sent regular shipping. If you want something faster, or it's a large package, then they use UPS. (Not sure if they use USPS Priority Mail or not - I usually opted for the free shipping when I lived in the US)

The folks at RedFlagDeals seem convinced that Amazon is using UPS exclusively, but that's not entirely my experience. I got a book via Canada Post in March (just checked the shipping notice to be sure). Three books shipped in February came via UPS, as did six books shipped at the end of January and several orders shipped in Dec. In November, five books came via Canada Post, as did all the rest of my orders in 2009. So it would appear that they've changed how they send anything more than one book perhaps. (?) I haven't noticed any decrease in the speed I get things via UPS - it's still amazing, living in Toronto. I've had things in 36 hours - with the FREE shipping.

Either way, it's not too big a deal for me, since I work from home and am usually here for deliveries, but I certainly can understand the consternation of those for whom this is going to be really inconvenient. Voice your concerns to Amazon - it's the only way they'll know people aren't happy.

I do know that UPS has been very aggressive in their pricing to compete with the USPS in the US, so it wouldn't surprise me if they worked hard for an expanded role with Amazon here.

Chapters pricing and lack of selection tend to send me back to Amazon most of the time...

Smoothfonzo
Apr 16th, 2010, 07:43 PM
I haven't noticed any decrease in the speed I get things via UPS - it's still amazing, living in Toronto. I've had things in 36 hours - with the FREE shipping.

Yeah, if you live in Toronto. Unfortunately, my experience has been that they're slower the further you are away from one of their hubs, making Canada Post much more accessible. There are no hubs in Northern Ontario, which makes UPS much less viable. For this to work more efficiently throughout Canada, UPS needs more Canadian hubs.

Paddy
Apr 16th, 2010, 09:22 PM
Absolutely. Both of my sisters-in-law live in the boonies - one in Apsley and one in Burks Falls, and when I send stuff to them from Amazon it takes days longer. I'm no fan of UPS - not after some of the battles I've had with them over brokerage since moving back to Canada! In the US, they were great - but so is the US Postal Service, so they have some stiff competition.

doglips
Apr 16th, 2010, 11:24 PM
Everything I order seems to come via UPS now which similarly to what was stated above is also very inconvenient for me compared to my local postal outlet. :mad:

I did email amazon.ca about this a couple of weeks ago and got a polite response saying in effect "we'll use the best business practices blah blah ..." and they would pass my concerns on to their shipping people. Nothing has changed so far. :ptptptptp

Jason H
Apr 16th, 2010, 11:31 PM

Nope, they have groceries too! Well, it was a beta program for I think the Seattle region only. I'll have to check on that.

Paddy
Apr 17th, 2010, 03:41 AM
Amazon.com has groceries for delivery anywhere in the US these days.

They even have some absurdly expensive eggs (http://www.amazon.com/Mission-Mountain-Eggs-Pasture-Organic/dp/B003GWDOGQ/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&s=grocery&qid=1271486043&sr=1-16) (it's not clear just how many you get, but there are 2 doz. in the picture and they weigh 3.3 lbs, so that's about right...

And then there are some jokers at work (http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00032G1S0/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1271486188&sr=1-9&condition=all) in the grocery section - Amazon seems not to have noticed! :lmao:

mpuk
Apr 17th, 2010, 01:02 PM
BAD NEWS.
I really liked Amazon for their usage of CanadaPost as they were convenient for me. Generally dropping off packages in my secure mailbox. I hope they give UPS the OK to leave the package at the door and nobody takes it. I don't want to be running to the far side of town by 6pm to pick up my shipments. If this is what happens, then I'll be unlikely to continue with Amazon.

Huh, I have the exact opposite feelings. Canada Post service for delivery is so spotty for me. I've ordered from Amazon.ca about 5 times total. I think the order was delivered to my door and on time once. A house would be fine, but anyone in a condo or apartment gets screwed by CP.

I have switched to Amazon.com for books. Cheaper books, and the cost is about the same when you consider the extra shipping. At least I know it will come on a specific day, and I don't have to find the book on the floor - open, or have to go to the local 7/11, or have it not show up at all!

dhalver_xeno
Apr 17th, 2010, 04:11 PM
In the US, they use the US Postal Service for any smaller packages that are sent regular shipping. If you want something faster, or it's a large package, then they use UPS. (Not sure if they use USPS Priority Mail or not - I usually opted for the free shipping when I lived in the US)

The last three packages I got from Amazon to my US address were shipped via a company called "Lasership". Two were pretty sizeable boxes of stuff and one was just a pocket knife.

Lasership has got pretty lousy tracking. It shows "Shipment has left seller facility and is in transit" and then there is no update until it pretty much just registers as "Delivered" after it's delivered.

dhalver_xeno
Apr 17th, 2010, 04:33 PM

Actually Amazon.ca has had a very limited selection of electronic items for a little while now, but they are hardly the bargains that can sometimes be had on Amazon.com.

I just bought a Canon Powershot SD780is from Amazon.com for US$176.54. The same camera sells at Amazon.ca for C$249.99. Futureshop currently has it on sale for $219.99. On top of that, Amazon.com doesn't charge me Florida sales tax and there is currently a promo with the camera where I also get a 4GB Class 6 SD card for free.

So even factoring in a 3% exchange rate on my credit card, I'm saving about 25% on the same camera and that's not factoring in the free 4GB SD card.

Even if Amazon.ca does start selling more of the stuff that Amazon.com sells, I still don't think we are going to get the same deals that the US gets.

Btw, Amazon.com does sell groceries. ;)

Jason H
Apr 17th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Amazon.com has groceries for delivery anywhere in the US these days.

Btw, Amazon.com does sell groceries. ;)

Found what I was referring too. Home | AmazonFresh (http://fresh.amazon.com/)

Groceries with reasonable prices, but delivery to the Seattle area only. Most of the stuff on amazon.com is dry goods or stuff otherwise available through mail order. I'd love to buy my groceries online, especially with the prices and customer service of amazon.com!

Paddy
Apr 17th, 2010, 08:45 PM
Where do you live? In the Toronto area, Longo's has an online grocery service called Grocery Gateway (http://www.grocerygateway.com/). I have friends who haven't got a car and have two small children (making shopping via taxi difficult to say the least - what do you do with the car seats while shopping etc.?) and they use Grocery Gateway all the time. However, outside the GTA, the options seem pretty nonexistent at the moment. :(

Jason H
Apr 17th, 2010, 09:07 PM
Where do you live? In the Toronto area, Longo's has an online grocery service called Grocery Gateway (http://www.grocerygateway.com/). I have friends who haven't got a car and have two small children (making shopping via taxi difficult to say the least - what do you do with the car seats while shopping etc.?) and they use Grocery Gateway all the time. However, outside the GTA, the options seem pretty nonexistent at the moment. :(

The thing I find with grocery gateway is that its about the same price as walking across the street to Rabba :D

gordguide
Apr 18th, 2010, 07:40 PM
The goods Amazon sells through their US website to US addresses are not blocked from shipping to Canada by any government regulation or policy; that is a limit imposed by the companies Amazon buys from.

Similarly, things like Hulu which is restricted to US audiences (or US-assigned IP addresses, to be more specific) has nothing to do with government policy or regulation.

The copyright holders in the US who supply the content impose this limitation on Hulu because they would be breaking the law if they offered content they have no copyrights to. Copyrights are sold on a nation-by-nation basis; most of Hulu content is owned by a different company (eg a show's rights could be owned by CTV in Canada, Fox in the US). To allow Hulu to broadcast to Canada, Hulu would have to buy the rights from both CTV and Fox in that example. They don't, they buy them from Fox only.

jagga
Apr 19th, 2010, 12:23 AM
Has anybody ordered anything from Amazon.com; anything besides CD/DVD's and Books? I'm looking to purchase a Timbuk2 bag - which is not available locally at any store in Toronto [The Q or the HAL] and Amazon.ca doesn't have "anything" from Timbuk2.

I also loathe having to race by TTC to make it to UPS' Jane/Steeles wearhouse by 6pm which is impossible for me as I work until 6 this month. Who was the maroon at UPS that thought of this idea.

Paddy
Apr 19th, 2010, 11:43 AM
I haven't ordered anything but DVDs or books - and was surprised to see that you can order the laptop bags (and software, which I also checked) from Amazon and have them delivered to a Canadian address. The problem of course is that they will probably use UPS, and UPS charge an arm and a leg for brokerage, since Amazon.com doesn't have a Canadian tax number. You will have to pay this at the door, along with the Canadian GST & PST owing. It can really add up. The only companies I regularly order from in the US have Canadian tax numbers (the sales tax will be applied as you check out) - NewEgg.ca and LandsEnd are two that have this.

Timbuk2 list this company (www.guelphbrandstrategies.com) as their Canadian distributor - try contacting them and seeing if there are actually any stores with the bags in Canada. Can't hurt...

Zappos ships to Canada for a flat $10 - you could call them and ask who they normally ship with: Buy Shoes and Handbags - Canada.Zappos.com - Timbuk2 Bags (http://canada.zappos.com/n/es/d/722313299/page/1.html).

It's too bad that more of the US companies won't use the post office - Canada Post's brokerage is a flat $5.

Smoothfonzo
Apr 19th, 2010, 03:40 PM
I'd also recommend bags by Pakuma. I have one and it's really great. Lots of room, many pockets, and a memory foam cocoon for the MacBook.

Welcome to Pakuma (http://www.pakuma.com/)