: Help setting up new Lexmark with AE

joyanne
Apr 11th, 2010, 09:52 AM
Just got a new Lexmark X5400 All in one printer and wanted to set it up wirelessly with the AE. Can this be done? It works fine when plugged in directly to my MBP but when I plug it into the AE I can't find it on the list as a remote printer. What is my next step if it can be set up remotely on the AE? Thanks for any input.

Joyanne

johnb1
Apr 11th, 2010, 08:37 PM
I think you have to use bonjour to add it, or make it a network. all I remember is that it used WiFi so you could either have wireless printer or Internet, but sadly, not both, afaik

just a l'il something for now

JB

joyanne
Apr 11th, 2010, 11:10 PM
I looked for a bonjour printer but couldn't find one. I looked under print & fax in the system preference but nothing showed up. When I did this with another printer a bonjour connection showed up but I can't remember if I had to look somewhere else. How would you suggest I find a bonjour printer as I think that is probably what I have to do. Also why would that interfere with internet access? thanks

Joyanne

johnb1
Apr 12th, 2010, 12:35 PM
yeah--I"m going on memory here. My mom bought a Lexmark X 4515, so I had some experience with it. try looking under 'help'..ahh, here we go-just set up the printer as per the given instructions, print a test page, then plug it into the USB port
on the AE...hmmm, that's so crazy it just might work....yeah, my mom just used it wirelessly (no AE) and that's where the problem cropped up...

the only way to know if it works is to try it...

JB

broad
Apr 12th, 2010, 03:07 PM
in my experience lexmark printers dont work when used through airport base stations, be they express, extreme or time capsule

its super aggravating, as many of the models will appear in the airport utility and look like they *should* work, but dont.

i should add that this has been the case with 3 different models of lexmark, and i gave up after that. there might be some that do, but i havent seen one yet

SoyMac
Apr 12th, 2010, 03:33 PM
^^ Agreement with broad.

I bought a wireless Lexmark for Mom, and even checked to see that Lexmark claimed it was OS X compliant.

We tried and tried and tried to get it to work wirelessly, even got a replacement sent to us from Lexmark, and it never worked wirelessly.

We gave up.

WhatAGuy
Apr 12th, 2010, 04:16 PM
I have a Lexmark X7675 that's wireless. It works great with my system. iMac 27" OSX 10.6.3

broad
Apr 12th, 2010, 08:32 PM
you are confusing a wireless printer with a wired printer that is being made accessible wirelessly through an airport device.

two very different things