: Mac Mail question

Funkynassau
Apr 8th, 2010, 07:07 PM
This is weird, it happens several times a day and really annoys me. I will type up an email, with the correct email addy, and hit Send and the little wheel thing will churn for a few minutes then I'll get a box that asks me which server to use, even tho the correct one is highlighted. So I hit Send again and usually it'll go that time. Or maybe not, and I have to do it again! There is nothing wrong in the email addy nor the server info. What causes this and is there a fix?

Another question, on receiving my email Sometimes I open my mail program enter my password, and then by the account name I see a triangle in blue and white. I click that and a box pops up and I have to click on Take all accounts online. This often happens in the morning. Why does this happen and is there a fix?

Right now the sending thing is acting up, it times out and I have clicked on the correct server and the wheel spins...is it my ISP having a problem or is it me or my Mail program? Whatever, it's super annoying.

Thanks,
Funkynassau

monokitty
Apr 8th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Under Mail > Accounts > [your account] > Tab: Account Information - make sure there aren't multiple SMTP servers. If there are, delete any that aren't applicable. It's possible the wrong SMTP server is selected as the default, hence why the first attempt to send mail always fails. (See attachment # 1.)

As per your second question, make sure all accounts are being checked for new mail automatically. (See attachment # 2.)

Atroz
Apr 8th, 2010, 08:47 PM
I suspect that what is happening is that your Email service provider's server is just too busy. Those message are normally just a failure to login or connect and that is often because they are too busy.

Funkynassau
Apr 8th, 2010, 10:39 PM
Lars, everything seems to be as it should be. This is an intermittent problem but it does occur maybe 8-10 times a day, which to me is too many. The box that says use only this smtp server is checked.

For question 2, all accounts are set to check for email automatically. Perhaps Atroz is right, and the server is busy, but this happens almost every morning on start up.

Thanks for the replies!