: CoreDuo Mac Mini 2GB RAM Chip?

fyrefly
Apr 5th, 2010, 08:47 PM
Hey, I'm hoping to take my CoreDuo Mac Mini (Late 2006 model) to 2GB of RAM. I've found a deal for a 2GB RAM stick - will that work? I know I can't go above 2GB of RAM, but can I just use one 2GB stick?

I looked at Other World Computing and it seems to say I can't, but I'm unsure.

monokitty
Apr 5th, 2010, 10:13 PM
It will work.

DR Hannon
Apr 5th, 2010, 10:29 PM
I thought you could go to 3 gigs of ram.

Trevor...
Apr 6th, 2010, 04:51 AM
How good a deal? You might be further ahead with a pair of 1GB sticks

The original Intel Mac Mini's only support 2GB of memory - if you install a 2GB stick you have to leave the second slot empty and you will lose dual-channel support.

The original Intel Mac Mini's have the first revision of the 945 chipset from the original Pentium D's which only support 2GB known as Lakeport-G the revised version known as Calistoga didn't appear in Mac Mini's until the Summer 2007 model.

screature
Apr 6th, 2010, 11:39 AM

Well, my1.83GHz CoreDuo has 3GB of RAM in it that registers, so at least for that model you can go up to 3GB.

fyrefly
Apr 6th, 2010, 12:57 PM
It will work.

How good a deal? You might be further ahead with a pair of 1GB sticks

The original Intel Mac Mini's only support 2GB of memory - if you install a 2GB stick you have to leave the second slot empty and you will lose dual-channel support.

The original Intel Mac Mini's have the first revision of the 945 chipset from the original Pentium D's which only support 2GB known as Lakeport-G the revised version known as Calistoga didn't appear in Mac Mini's until the Summer 2007 model.

Well I can get a 2GB stick for $30, and right now I can't find a 1GB stick on sale for less than ~$28. So Almost half price.

Well, my1.83GHz CoreDuo has 3GB of RAM in it that registers, so at least for that model you can go up to 3GB.

Are you sure it's not a Core2Duo? I don't think the CoreDuo can actually use more than 2GB of RAM.

John Clay
Apr 6th, 2010, 01:02 PM

Core Duo minis will only use 2GB of RAM, regardless of how much may show up when installed. Core 2 Duo minis will only use 3GB of RAM, regardless of how much may show up when installed.

screature
Apr 6th, 2010, 01:08 PM
Well I can get a 2GB stick for $30, and right now I can't find a 1GB stick on sale for less than ~$28. So Almost half price.

Are you sure it's not a Core2Duo? I don't think the CoreDuo can actually use more than 2GB of RAM.

Yes my Bad. :o I've had so many versions of the Mini I have lost track... Core2Duo, you can install up to 4GB of RAM but only 3GB can be addressed.

DR Hannon
Apr 6th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Core Duo minis will only use 2GB of RAM, regardless of how much may show up when installed. Core 2 Duo minis will only use 3GB of RAM, regardless of how much may show up when installed.

Thanks, for clearing that up for me.;)

IllusionX
Apr 7th, 2010, 09:27 AM
swapped my mini 1.1 (late 06??) with a core2duo.. won't boot up with a 2gb stick.

screature
Apr 7th, 2010, 10:25 AM
It should, sometimes the sticks can be really hard to seat. Open 'er up and double check that it is all the way home. If it is you could have some bad RAM or it is something else.

CanadaRAM
Apr 7th, 2010, 01:29 PM
swapped my mini 1.1 (late 06??) with a core2duo.. won't boot up with a 2gb stick.

Of course, because it is the motherboard chipset that is the limitation -- you changed your CPU but you didn't change the memory controller on the motherboard.

screature
Apr 7th, 2010, 02:03 PM
I thought he meant he swapped the whole Mini... now it makes sense.

IllusionX
Apr 8th, 2010, 09:49 AM
doh, i know, but shouldn't it at least take 1x 2gb??

anyhow.. i kept the 2x1gb in the mini.. and finally installed the 2x2gb in my Aopen M965... :(