: Why should I buy a Mac?

Felixtrio
Apr 5th, 2010, 08:37 PM
I have been thinking of getting a new 27" iMac later this year. I have an old iMac that is about 9 years old. It is so clunky slow and is limited on what it can do.

My main stay has been a 5 year old dual core AMD PC.

A couple of days ago I let my intentions known to a friend who works with computers and Web sites. His reply was, "Why do you want a Mac when your PC can do everthing a Mac can do."

So, my question to you is, "Why should I buy a Mac?" What can a Mac do that you can't do with a PC?

Felix

wslctrc
Apr 5th, 2010, 08:50 PM
Why not ask what can a pc do that you can't do with a mac?

with a pc you can get frustrated with lock ups
with a pc you can buy extra virus protection
with a pc you can defrag on a regular basis
with a pc you can reload windows for the 3rd time this year
with a pc you can be told you caused a fatal error
with a pc you can be repeatedly asked are you sure you want to perform this operation
with a pc you can say I got more machine for less money and try to convince yourself
with a pc you can still put up with windoze

pcronin
Apr 5th, 2010, 09:15 PM

with a pc you can buy extra virus protection
with a pc you can be repeatedly asked are you sure you want to perform this operation
with a pc you can say I got more machine for less money and try to convince yourself
with a pc you can still put up with windoze

My 20" iMac locks up sometimes too. Any machine will lock when you thrash the hard drive hard enough.
buy virus protection? never! http://clamav.net
defrag - at least you can run spinrite on it
Funny, my work laptop has been running Win 7 since I installed it in Aug, and no desire to reload yet...
again, my 20"er has had fatal errors too
OS X asks every time I install programs I download... so what's that point?
take a look at the actual dollar amounts. Mac pro tower without monitors for 3k, or full dual display machine for the same or even less on sale.
BootCamp. windoze(sic) on Mac hardware too..

My experience with PC hardware and Mac hardware is about the same. Both work great when new, both start suffering after multiple installs and removals of programs.

OP ask yourself why you have been running a PC for the last 5 years, and why your 9 year old mac needs replacement. Do you think you need OS X Snow Lep to do your daily work? Would Windows 7 or a Linux distro do everything you need? Also consider your budget.

I'm an advocate for best tool for the job within budgets.

DDKD726
Apr 5th, 2010, 09:18 PM
For me its about the user experience. I love working in this OS, if windows offered me the same user experience, I would use windows, but it doesn't so here I am typing this on a Mac Mini using 10.6.3 the best OS available in my opinion.

wslctrc
Apr 5th, 2010, 09:19 PM
My 20" iMac locks up sometimes too. Any machine will lock when you thrash the hard drive hard enough.
buy virus protection? never! http://clamav.net
defrag - at least you can run spinrite on it
Funny, my work laptop has been running Win 7 since I installed it in Aug, and no desire to reload yet...
again, my 20"er has had fatal errors too
OS X asks every time I install programs I download... so what's that point?
take a look at the actual dollar amounts. Mac pro tower without monitors for 3k, or full dual display machine for the same or even less on sale.
BootCamp. windoze(sic) on Mac hardware too..

My experience with PC hardware and Mac hardware is about the same. Both work great when new, both start suffering after multiple installs and removals of programs.

OP ask yourself why you have been running a PC for the last 5 years, and why your 9 year old mac needs replacement. Do you think you need OS X Snow Lep to do your daily work? Would Windows 7 or a Linux distro do everything you need? Also consider your budget.

I'm an advocate for best tool for the job within budgets.

relax it was a joke!

fellfromtree
Apr 5th, 2010, 09:23 PM
I don't understand the argument.
Apply the same logic to any other consumer product. Car, tv, bicycle, lawnmower, whatever.
What is the argument?

pcronin
Apr 5th, 2010, 09:27 PM
relax it was a joke!

I'm just saying that Mac ownership isn't all apple pie ;)

wslctrc
Apr 5th, 2010, 09:27 PM
I don't understand the argument.
Apply the same logic to any other consumer product. Car, tv, bicycle, lawnmower, whatever.
What is the argument?

There have got to be 100 posts on this same argument/question/request that turn into brow beating and fanboy comments and don't end well.

Elric
Apr 5th, 2010, 09:29 PM
I say, less headaches. More time with friends and Family... and for the budget conscious... RESALE VALUE.
But that's my 2 cents, you can borrow it if you'd like.

Bjornbro
Apr 5th, 2010, 09:34 PM
Why should I buy a Mac?
If you have to ask, it's probably best that you stick with your AMD PC. :rolleyes: But if you insist, check here. (http://www.apple.com/getamac/)

i-rui
Apr 5th, 2010, 09:52 PM

my experiences are very different than yours. I have probably 10 times as much software on my mac pro and it's very stable. I have a few programs on my tablet pc running xp and it's buggy as hell.

pcronin
Apr 5th, 2010, 09:56 PM
my experiences are very different than yours. I have probably 10 times as much software on my mac pro and it's very stable. I have a few programs on my tablet pc running xp and it's buggy as hell.

10 times as much software as what?

DR Hannon
Apr 5th, 2010, 10:04 PM
Just get a Mac because I SAID!!!!!

i-rui
Apr 5th, 2010, 10:09 PM
10 times as much software as what?

as what's on my pc tablet. and the mac pro is rock solid, and the tablet is flakey.

pcronin
Apr 5th, 2010, 10:09 PM
Just get a Mac because I SAID!!!!!

Well there's the definitive answer.. I think that will just have to close the thread lol

SINC
Apr 5th, 2010, 10:28 PM

I gotta call BS on that one. The Mac is far superior on that front. I've installed (and only had to trash ;) ) hundreds of Mac programs without a single ill effect.

Try that on your PC. :rolleyes:

fjnmusic
Apr 6th, 2010, 03:28 AM
New guy asks a question. Why should I get a Mac? Lots of people with vast experience answer the question. Some sarcastic, some helpful, all true. Debate ensues over merits of PC's and Macs. Mac fanboys outnumber PC fanboys. Mac side prevails. Original poster never appears again. Rinse and repeat.

ScanMan
Apr 6th, 2010, 04:15 AM
^ Well said.

pcronin
Apr 6th, 2010, 07:20 AM
And fjnmusic, you forgot to add someone has actual experience with mac hardware/software not being perfect, and gets called out as "bs".
*shrug*
I know what I've experienced. I'm glad i'm the exception not the rule. SINC, I'm not saying that they go wonky at the same rate, just that all platforms I've used start going wonky after a time. *nix and *BSD included in that

SoyMac
Apr 6th, 2010, 11:14 AM
... I have an old iMac that is about 9 years old... My main stay has been a 5 year old dual core AMD PC.

... "Why should I buy a Mac?" What can a Mac do that you can't do with a PC? If you use both a Mac and a PC, and you have to even ask this question, then obviously a Windows PC is best for you.

jamesB
Apr 6th, 2010, 11:18 AM
I'm glad you finally cleared that up...
just that all platforms I've used start going wonky after a time. *nix and *BSD included in that
The key words here being "I've used"
And yes, you can rest assured you are the exception.

Sho
Apr 6th, 2010, 03:50 PM
To me windows consumer level is way too much of a pain. Get rid of the registry and the dlls and windows would be fine. Oh wait that's OSX.

Server and corperate level is fine seeing as everything is planned and tested.

I've used PC's and apple computers since I was a child. I stopped using macs for quite some time. Guess which time I was happier?

ScanMan
Apr 6th, 2010, 03:58 PM
I've used PC's and apple computers since I was a child. I stopped using macs for quite some time. Guess which time I was happier?

When you were a child?

Sho
Apr 6th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Old people can browse the interwebs as well. Ok, I'm not that old.

Yes, I've been using computers since I was five. I'm 26 soon, so that makes it about 21 years. I don't know what is so hard to understand. Did I word it wrong?

I was much happier using apple products. I've had two macs break down in front of me, they weren't even mine. Break down as in hardware failure. Hell I have a G4 350 behind me that still works; which is running OSX 10.4 How many PCs in the same volume fail. I can't count the amount. The only PC that's going to be in my home is my windows sever 2008.

pcronin
Apr 6th, 2010, 04:23 PM
I'm glad you finally cleared that up...

The key words here being "I've used"
And yes, you can rest assured you are the exception.

Thanks, I was having trouble sleeping before.

I just wanted to let the OP and everyone else know that no hardware is bullet proof and magical. No matter how many people have no trouble at all, there's always a chance that anyone could end up being the exception and being soured.

If it's in the budget, and you want something you're not going to itch to upgrade within a few months, then by all means get the Mac. If the budget looks thin, you want to run certain programs not available in OS X, or if you actually *like* getting inside your machine and tinkering, buy a PC.

If you're only upgrading because of a shiny factor, you are upgrading for the wrong reasons.

wslctrc
Apr 6th, 2010, 04:37 PM
If you're only upgrading because of a shiny factor, you are upgrading for the wrong reasons.

What's wrong with that? I know of many who just want the newer shinier version. Why? Because that's what they want, that's a problem? I have a MBP 2.4 last version before the unibody, nothing wrong with it but I am seriously thinking of upgrading because I can. Only thing stopping me is going from matte to glossy screen, still unsure.

SINC
Apr 6th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Only thing stopping me is going from matte to glossy screen, still unsure.

Then do what I did and order one with the matte screen. It's a beauty, but be prepared to shell out about $200 extra for it. ;)

wslctrc
Apr 6th, 2010, 05:05 PM
Then do what I did and order one with the matte screen. It's a beauty, but be prepared to shell out about $200 extra for it. ;)

I looked when I went to order it and didn't see where to specify matte, backed out to think more.

lastman2009
Apr 6th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Buy what you are going to use or make do with what you already have. No need to argue, cajole or discuss. If no one else likes it then tell them to pound sand (or salt as you prefer)

Sho
Apr 6th, 2010, 05:22 PM
Look at the $1699 one

jamesB
Apr 6th, 2010, 07:46 PM
I looked when I went to order it and didn't see where to specify matte, backed out to think more.
MacBook Pro 15" -> Configure -> Display...

I do not see this option in the 13" MBP.

wslctrc
Apr 6th, 2010, 08:02 PM
the 13" is what I am looking at

Paddy
Apr 6th, 2010, 08:04 PM
There is no matte option for the 13" MacBook Pro. Only the 15" and 17" have this option. It's an additional $60.

Ottawaman
Apr 8th, 2010, 08:14 AM
So I see the OP posted the same question at a PC centric site.
Why should I buy a Mac? (http://www.thecomputermechanics.com/forums/showthread.php?44064-Why-should-I-buy-a-Mac)

I find the thread there painful to read as the same old stereotypical arguments are being made against the Mac platform.

I guess somethings never change.

wslctrc
Apr 8th, 2010, 09:43 AM
I frequent that web site as well, have for a few years and always find the same comments from the same people about the same things, kinda like ehmac :lmao:

okcomputer
Apr 8th, 2010, 12:13 PM
I find the thread there painful to read as the same old stereotypical arguments are being made against the Mac platform.

Ugh. Always disheartening to read ignorant posts when it comes to Macs vs PCs.

Truth is, Windows 7 has been a breath of fresh air in terms of crashing and other annoyances. My father's HP laptop hasn't crashed since he got 7 - crashed several times with Vista.

I really hate when people argue that you can do things on one platform that you can't do on the other(s). Every kind of software is available for all platforms. Some of it is free on some platforms, some of it is much better designed on other platforms, but overall it comes down to the UI and the stability. In those regards (after using XP, 2000 and Vista), I prefer Macs. And Windows 7 seems to be pretty stable, but I still don't like the interface.

OP: Buy the 27" i7. :)

SoyMac
Apr 8th, 2010, 06:54 PM
...Truth is, Windows 7 has been a breath of fresh air in terms of crashing and other annoyances. My father's HP laptop hasn't crashed since he got 7 - crashed several times with Vista.... overall it comes down to the UI and the stability. In those regards (after using XP, 2000 and Vista), I prefer Macs. And Windows 7 seems to be pretty stable...Dad inherited a Mac as his first ever computer, and I would never dream of switching him to a cheaper Windows box when it's time to upgrade hardware.
But maybe things really have changed with Windows, and I might be behind the times.

The following issues might be from the pre-7 days, so now I'm curious (seriously);

1. When your dad gets a new peripheral/camera/music player, does he have to download the drivers for Win 7, and if yes, do they never cause his machine to falter?

2. Does your dad have to run anti-virus software?
2.a. Does he never get viruses?
2.b. If he runs anti-virus software, does his machine suffer because of it, or not?

3. Does your dad have any trouble with software upgrades? Is it easy with 7?
3.a. What about installing 3rd party software (Adobe, Corel, online purchases) - smooth?

If these issues are now resolved, then it looks like Microsoft really has come a long way with 7!

pcronin
Apr 8th, 2010, 09:16 PM
Ugh. Always disheartening to read ignorant posts when it comes to Macs vs PCs.

Truth is, Windows 7 has been a breath of fresh air in terms of crashing and other annoyances. My father's HP laptop hasn't crashed since he got 7 - crashed several times with Vista.

I really hate when people argue that you can do things on one platform that you can't do on the other(s). Every kind of software is available for all platforms. Some of it is free on some platforms, some of it is much better designed on other platforms, but overall it comes down to the UI and the stability. In those regards (after using XP, 2000 and Vista), I prefer Macs. And Windows 7 seems to be pretty stable, but I still don't like the interface.

OP: Buy the 27" i7. :)

I agree about Win 7, however while you can find the 'type' of software on all platforms, there may be certain titles that one or the other doesn't have. Recently there are more inroads (steam port) for gaming.

No reason you can't dual boot on an iMac either.

laserbluemini
Apr 9th, 2010, 01:34 PM

i absolutely hate this on my windows. why the heck do I need to confirm a copy and paste. and for some of my games, it asks me if i trule want to open the game. like wtf I just double clicked it to play the game...

windows should give an option for triple click to ignore these confirmation windows. lol.

pcronin
Apr 9th, 2010, 02:53 PM
i absolutely hate this on my windows. why the heck do I need to confirm a copy and paste. and for some of my games, it asks me if i trule want to open the game. like wtf I just double clicked it to play the game...

windows should give an option for triple click to ignore these confirmation windows. lol.

Google for UAC settings. Vista and 7 both allow you to turn this to the point it only comes up when it is really needed (ie OS X style)

okcomputer
Apr 9th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Google for UAC settings. Vista and 7 both allow you to turn this to the point it only comes up when it is really needed (ie OS X style)

From the PC thread:

You can turn that off, if you know what your doing

He wrote it in defence of Windows, I think this is actually adds to the Mac "pros" list... You shouldn't need to know a hell of a lot to change basic settings on your computer..

Worst comment from that PC thread:

Maybe I'm just used to Windows and KDE for Linux, but dang it seems like you gotta do 15 steps just to complete one task.

I'd love to know what he was trying to do that took 15 steps! Haha.

Sho
Apr 9th, 2010, 03:31 PM
It's a hyperbole, it does take more effort to get things to work in linux. (apparently my sentences as well.)

The reason I dislike windows is the hickups I've always had. Windows programs locking up for a few seconds. I've reinstalled windows just to have it crash on me. This never stopped from windows 98.

If the iMac can do what you want it to get it, if it can't get the PC. Yes apple products are more money. However, you pay for quality.

lastman2009
Apr 9th, 2010, 05:32 PM
They worked on Vista for how long and when it comes out it is so despised that no one wanted to use it so then practically overnight Win 7 comes out and it is fine and dandy. Thing is that I played with 7 and other than some cosmetic differences, it runs pretty much the same as XP.

laserbluemini
Apr 9th, 2010, 07:20 PM

omg saviour!

Luckily, I only use my PC for games. It's just a gaming console for me lol, so I don't live with it everyday. hehe

laserbluemini
Apr 9th, 2010, 07:27 PM
From the PC thread:

He wrote it in defence of Windows, I think this is actually adds to the Mac "pros" list... You shouldn't need to know a hell of a lot to change basic settings on your computer..

Worst comment from that PC thread:

I'd love to know what he was trying to do that took 15 steps! Haha.

lol i hate it when they say just reformat your computer more, change this setting, change that bios, mod this, apply that, etc. I tell them(PCs) I shouldn't have to, then they proceed to tell me that I need to if I want my computer to run fast.

right... just buy a mac and I only press update once in a while.. omg I paid a premium for that?! yes. because my time is very expensive. In the amount of time it takes to optimize a stupid PC, I should be making lots of money instead.

it's like driving an F1 on public roads.. you need a computer to start the engine.. you need smoother roads cuz the F1 can't take pot holes.. you need to wear helmet cuz theres no windshield.. lol.

fjnmusic
Apr 10th, 2010, 06:12 AM
So I see the OP posted the same question at a PC centric site.
Why should I buy a Mac? (http://www.thecomputermechanics.com/forums/showthread.php?44064-Why-should-I-buy-a-Mac)

I got a kick out of this one: :clap:

Throw in your limited mac experience.

with a pc you can buy virus protection
with a pc you can still put up with windows

Let me google that for you (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=free+mac+software)

I don't have money to throw away, but after dealing with microsoft for 15 years, I finally had enough and went to a mac where I have not looked back.
I won't lie, I have had my mac lockup once and I've seen the spinning wheel a few times, but over the course of 3 years, I would say that is a better track record than my pc's
My mac has never needed reformatting, defragging, protection from virus, nor told me I caused a fatal error. That in itself is worth paying a bit more.
And pc users don't try and out do the other with the latest and best of everything or try upgrading, modding, overclocking to squeeze everything they can before they upgrade?
Waiting on the pc users/inexperienced mac users to bash these comments.

wslctrc
Apr 10th, 2010, 08:31 AM
They worked on Vista for how long and when it comes out it is so despised that no one wanted to use it so then practically overnight Win 7 comes out and it is fine and dandy. Thing is that I played with 7 and other than some cosmetic differences, it runs pretty much the same as XP.

I like this. It could be used in their promotional ads. I can hear it now.

Windows 7! The new XP!

Ottawaman
Apr 10th, 2010, 10:02 AM
The Mac complaints I hear from pc users;
Too expensive
No good apps
Can't game
Not customizable
Can't upgrade
Hardware lagging PC hardware

wslctrc
Apr 10th, 2010, 10:13 AM
The Mac complaints I hear from pc users;
Too expensive
No good apps
Can't game
Not customizable
Can't upgrade
Hardware lagging PC hardware

I hear the same things.
It is almost in that order too!
It bogles the mind why people put up with windows and the problems.

Too expensive - my time and trouble is worth more than the difference
No good apps - hmm let me google that for you
Can't game - hmm read any good news lately?
Not customizable - why ruin a good thing? Besides most I know just buy a PC and use it.
Can't upgrade - See above. Although storage and memory can be.
Hardware lagging PC hardware - PC needs the newer hardware to keep up to mac speeds.

Commodus
Apr 10th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Regularly dealing with both sides of the equation, I can say a few things.

In Windows' defence, Windows 7 is good; there's no doubt that the new taskbar was influenced heavily by Apple, but the OS generally gets out of the way more than it has.

That said...

Some of the truisms about Windows still exist. Security is always important, but why is one of the first concerns in getting a Windows PC the kind of AV software you're going to load up? And yes, while customizable hardware is very nice, I can't tell you how many people have small but persistent problems because mainboard X has problems when mated with video card Y. Or it turns out that a particular case or component is noisy.

Apple certainly isn't immune to problems; it's using a lot of regular components. But because it can customize the design and will know exactly what tolerances it has to work with, it often gets a stable, quiet system. The iMac is an example of how well this can work. While I wish the hard drive were more accessible, there's something to be said for having a whole Core i5 or i7 desktop tucked into the same space as a 27-inch display, and potentially never having to plug in anything except for power and your iPod.

Gaming should take a very interesting turn in the near future thanks to Valve. With Steam and all of Valve's Source engine games coming to the Mac in a matter of weeks, a lot of the "but Macs don't play games" arguments go right out the window. You won't be able to play Bad Company 2 (yet), but launching directly into Left 4 Dead 2 or Counter-Strike Source from Mac OS X is one less reason to boot into Windows or to get a Windows PC.