: Are these keyboards USB 2.0?

SnowX
Mar 31st, 2010, 01:31 PM
http://www.exchange3d.com/cubecart/images/uploads/aff2265/Apple-Keyboard//Apple-Keyboard-8.jpg

I maxed out my 5 USBs on my Mini and have seen this keyboard for sale, cheap. Wondering if the Bus on it is 2.0.

Thanks!

John Clay
Mar 31st, 2010, 01:40 PM
USB 1.1.

Apparently the forum doesn't like 3 letters in capitals when it's a short post.

screature
Mar 31st, 2010, 01:48 PM
USB hubs are cheap too and would get you a lot more ports than a keyboard. :)

Rob
Mar 31st, 2010, 01:57 PM
Get a USB2 hub with it's own power supply.

If you've maxed out the ports on your mini, then you might not have enough power available through the the USB ports to power more devices in the chain. A USB2 hub with it's own power supply would provide additional power for the extra USB devices, and reduce the power load on the mini.

SnowX
Mar 31st, 2010, 02:28 PM
Yeah... that's what I thought. I'll still buy the keyboard since it's only $12, however I'll start looking for a powered hub. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

John Clay
Mar 31st, 2010, 02:36 PM
Yeah... that's what I thought. I'll still buy the keyboard since it's only $12, however I'll start looking for a powered hub. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

IOGear makes a nice one that you can lay flat, and plug cables into from behind.

IOGEAR - GUH227 - 7- Port High Speed USB 2.0 Hub (http://www.iogear.com/product/GUH227/)

mikef
Mar 31st, 2010, 03:24 PM
I'm partial to this one:

Macsimum News - Everything HerePlus releases 13-port USB external hub (http://www.macsimumnews.com/index.php/archive/everything_hereplus_releases_13-port_usb_external_hub/)

13 ports would be fantastic. Right now, I've got a stackable Belkin 7 port that allows another 4 ports to be added.

John Clay
Mar 31st, 2010, 03:48 PM
I'm partial to this one:

Macsimum News - Everything HerePlus releases 13-port USB external hub (http://www.macsimumnews.com/index.php/archive/everything_hereplus_releases_13-port_usb_external_hub/)

13 ports would be fantastic. Right now, I've got a stackable Belkin 7 port that allows another 4 ports to be added.

13 ports would be nice, especially at that price. Too bad they plug in all around, rather than a bar shape. Hard to find space on a desk for a cactus.

gordguide
Apr 1st, 2010, 02:09 AM
Keyboards and mice are all 1.1, because there is absolutely no way possible for either to use up the bandwidth of 1.1, let alone 2.0. You could have ten crack-crazed monkeys banging on the keys of ten keyboards as fast as possible simultaneously, and it still wouldn't get to USB 1.1 speed.

It's similar to "the internet" (which cannot possibly use up the bandwidth of a 10-base-T ethernet) or an optical drive (which cannot possibly use up the bandwidth of even a lowly 33 MHz version of an old IDE bus).

You should have your KB + mouse plugged directly into the Mac. Do not use a hub with either.

Use a hub on (one of) the other USB ports on the Mac, and plug your 2.0 stuff there.

chas_m
Apr 1st, 2010, 08:05 AM
Most awesome 4-port USB hub EVAH:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/zoom/tardis_hub.gif

John Clay
Apr 1st, 2010, 09:06 AM
Keyboards and mice are all 1.1, because there is absolutely no way possible for either to use up the bandwidth of 1.1, let alone 2.0. You could have ten crack-crazed monkeys banging on the keys of ten keyboards as fast as possible simultaneously, and it still wouldn't get to USB 1.1 speed.

It's similar to "the internet" (which cannot possibly use up the bandwidth of a 10-base-T ethernet) or an optical drive (which cannot possibly use up the bandwidth of even a lowly 33 MHz version of an old IDE bus).

You should have your KB + mouse plugged directly into the Mac. Do not use a hub with either.

Use a hub on (one of) the other USB ports on the Mac, and plug your 2.0 stuff there.

This isn't true. Most new keyboards have USB 2.0 ports, so you can plug in peripherals. Further, it's rather easy to saturate a 10Base-T ethernet connection, as there are many residential connections faster than 10Mbps. Rogers offers a 50Mbps connection, nearly 5 times faster than 10Base-T. Much faster connections exist commercially.

gordguide
Apr 1st, 2010, 12:28 PM
" ... This isn't true. Most new keyboards have USB 2.0 ports, so you can plug in peripherals. ..."

The keyboard and mouse operate at less than 1.1 speed. If a hub is part of that package, one would expect the hub to be of adequate performance, thus 2.0. Useless for the KB, though, and unnecessary for the KB or mouse bandwidth.

" ... Further, it's rather easy to saturate a 10Base-T ethernet connection, as there are many residential connections faster than 10Mbps. Rogers offers a 50Mbps connection, nearly 5 times faster than 10Base-T. Much faster connections exist commercially. ..."

If you have a 50 Mbps connection at home, fine. I don't, and no-one I know does. It would be interesting to see how many of ehMac's 32,000 members do ... I would expect you wouldn't need to take the socks off to count them.

John Clay
Apr 1st, 2010, 12:31 PM
Just because you don't know of anyone with a connection faster than 10Mbps doesn't mean it "cannot possibly" exist. 10Mbps+ connections are common in cities these days, both over cable as well as DSL.

gordguide
Apr 1st, 2010, 12:35 PM
Well, I hope you enjoy using yours. You do have one, right?

John Clay
Apr 1st, 2010, 12:44 PM
Well, I hope you enjoy using yours. You do have one, right?

I have 8.5Mbps DSL, but Rogers' 25Mbps and 50Mbps services are available in my area. As are faster DSL connections.

screature
Apr 1st, 2010, 12:47 PM
Videotron in Quebec sells 30 and 50Mbps connections. Expensive suckers... but they sell them.

SnowX
Apr 1st, 2010, 03:36 PM
gordguide is looking for a fight.

I went out at lunch today and bought the IOGear 7 port Hub. I did see a USB 2.0 keyboard, however it was more expensive than the hub. I can see how this can be handy though to plug in a USB stick or card readers. Copying pictures from my SD card through my keyboard is excrutiatingly(sp) slow. Not that it'll be an issue now that I have 7 new ports to fill up!

Thanks for the advice screature, Rob and John Clay!

SnowX
Apr 1st, 2010, 03:46 PM
Just to clarify to gordguide my reason for my initial question: I maxed out my ports on my mini and was tired of switching out cables to transfer my pictures from my SD card, therefore a USB 2.0 keyboard would have been very useful.