: Defrag help!!

kloan
Oct 11th, 2002, 02:01 AM
I need help. My hd is massively fragmented. I tried running Norton Speed Disk, and it kept going and going and going. Apparantly is was stuck on fragment 32 of 159,000-and something... after about an hour or two a error window popped up telling me that is couldnt defrag my disk because of cross-files something or rather and that i had to run norton disk doctor to fix it. I ran it and it told me that I had a major problem with the catologue something and that it needed to be booted from the disk. I cant find the damn disk!!! I booted from my Jaguar install cd and ran disk doctor and it said my hd appeared to be ok. So........ I have no idea what to do. My hd is totally fragmented and my computer is waaaaaay too slow for its own good. Any ideas anyone??

Peter Scharman
Oct 11th, 2002, 09:32 AM
Did Norton say you MUST boot from the CD to complete the repair, or that it could repair more effectively if you booted from the CD? If it gave you the option of continuing the repair, it might have been able to fix the problem anyway, thus the "No fault found" after the re-scan. I would say to run Norton again and then run Speed Disk again and see what happens. By the way, ALWAYS run Disk Doctor before attempting a derfag or you run the risk of losing data that is not properly catalogued. Good luck! ;)

Peter Scharman
Oct 11th, 2002, 09:41 AM
I forgot to mention that you must boot from a Norton CD or any other bootable drive that has Norton on it, be able to defragment the entire hard drive. This a good case for the argument of partitioning hard drives. If you had partitions each including a System Folder and Norton, you could have both a back up System Folder and an easy and fast way to scan and defrag your files

kloan
Oct 11th, 2002, 04:47 PM
It told me I must boot from the cd, but I lost the damn cd so I'm stuck.
(no partitions either)

Peter Scharman
Oct 11th, 2002, 10:59 PM
Don't give up yet. If you can't borrow or find your Norton CD, there's the possibility of creating a RAM disk and putting a minimal System Folder and Norton on it. I don't have experience with OSx/10.xx, but if it doesn't have RAM Disk option, do you also have System 9?

MacNutt
Oct 12th, 2002, 03:31 AM
More problems with disk fragging et al concerning Jaguar and Pismo PowerBooks........

Screw this nonsense.....I'm buyin a G4! tongue.gif

PosterBoy
Oct 12th, 2002, 05:29 AM
Speed Disk doesn;t work correctly iin OS X if it isn;t run from a boot disk. It needs to have access to every file in every part of the disk it is working on and that is something that X doesn;t let it have.

However, if you can get a boot disk and run a full disk optimise using Norton 7, you will be amazed at the speed increase.

--PB