: Mail and attachments

Mark Whitcombe
Oct 7th, 2002, 09:26 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get Mail to properly deliver attachments to a Windoze machine?

And, in general, is Mail worth using seriously? (I work with about 50 e-mails a day, using Eudora).

Peter Scharman
Oct 9th, 2002, 11:54 PM
I don't personally know all the Eudora preference settings, but your problem likely lies with the attachment encoding. There are several types of encoding, and not all work with all platforms and e-mail programs. I use Outlook Express (I prefer v4.5) and use "Appledouble" as the default encoder and have only once had to switch to Base 64/MIME to get an attachment through to a Windows user. If your version of Eudora doesn't have Appledouble, I suggest downloading a copy of Outlook Express and giving it a try. smile.gif

Mark Whitcombe
Oct 10th, 2002, 12:00 AM
Found two good tips on http://www.macintouch.com/mail.app01.html#oct8 in which:

A) "The workaround for this problem is to make sure that one's attachments are the very last thing in the message. Before attaching files, place the cursor at the very end of the mail message. If there is nothing-- not even a line break-- after the attachment, Mail.app won't create any more inline text blocks, and the recipient should see only the one attachment. "

and B) "zap the resource fork from your file before sending it (using e.g. GrimRipper contextual menu item, found on VersionTracker), Mail should be able to skip the appledouble encoding and send a single base64 encoded data fork (i.e. file)"

Seems to work for me -- and that means I'm still using Mail (and mothballing Eudora)