: iPad: Whole Unit Replacement - Battery or Repair(s)

monokitty
Mar 13th, 2010, 10:44 PM
Apple's iPad Battery Replacement Program Forgoes New Battery, Replaces iPad - Mac Rumors (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/03/13/apples-ipad-battery-replacement-program-forgoes-new-battery-replaces-ipad/).

Several MacRumors readers have noticed that Apple has posted information on its iPad Battery Replacement Service, which allows users to receive a replacement should their device's battery no longer hold a charge. The service will cost $99 plus an additional $6.95 shipping and applicable taxes.

"iPad Battery Replacement Service" is a bit of a misnomer, however, as instead of swapping a new battery into a customer's existing iPad, Apple will simply send the customer a new iPad.

Devices that have been damaged or had unauthorized service or modifications performed on them will not be eligible for the program.

Likewise, if the iPad is damaged (smashed screen, other problems), the unit cannot be repaired and thus will likely cost a fair amount to replace (if not the full amount of a new one) save for battery replacements (if the unit isn't damaged). This is what I had figured. Now it's confirmed.

i-rui
Mar 14th, 2010, 12:15 AM
well that's not very 'green'

monokitty
Mar 14th, 2010, 12:19 AM

iPads sent in for battery replacements will likely be flipped and show up in the refurb store.

i-rui
Mar 14th, 2010, 12:25 AM
but refurbs would get new glass & back wouldn't they? So i still think it'd be more green to just replace the battery.

On the other hand if my battery needed to be replaced I wouldn't mind just getting anew one...

John Clay
Mar 14th, 2010, 12:25 AM

You're kidding yourself if you think Apple will simply junk them. For one thing, they'd lose hundreds on every unit replaced. In the long run, it's greener, as they'll be able to ensure that all the parts are disposed of properly, and not in local landfill.

Andrew Pratt
Mar 14th, 2010, 01:05 AM
I wonder if they'll do this with iPods, iPhones and the like as well? My SiL has a 3 year old iPod nano that won't hold a charge now.

monokitty
Mar 14th, 2010, 01:41 AM
I wonder if they'll do this with iPods, iPhones and the like as well? My SiL has a 3 year old iPod nano that won't hold a charge now.

They do. iPods have always been whole unit replacements when it comes to their battery exchange program. They return a refurbished unit back to you.

ScanMan
Mar 21st, 2010, 10:27 PM
Some won't really want their whole unit replaced. Diamond iPad (http://www.mervisdiamond.com/tacori-diamonds)