: defragmenting app recommendation wanted

since84
Oct 6th, 2002, 01:59 AM
What applications are you using to defragment hard drives running OS X? With all the talk about how OS 10 fragments hard drives, I decided to check mine and realized I no longer know what to use. I used to use Norton's Speed Disk but haven't upgraded my Norton and wasn't planning to. I ended up using the defrag program on the Disk Warrior CD. It did the job but took forever (okay, not forever, but nearly an hour-and-a-half)

So what else is out there that works with 10 and is relatively speedy?

PosterBoy
Oct 7th, 2002, 03:37 AM
I use norton speed disk, but you have to reboot from the CD and do a full disk optimisation. takes its sweet time.
I think that Drive 10 has a GUI defragger

--PB

robert
Oct 7th, 2002, 11:36 AM
Okay, I need a defrag. app. as well.
I see that Norton Utilities 7 and DiskWarrior 2.1.1 are both $145 CDN.
Norton runs with 9.2.2 and 10.1 or higher.
DiskWarrior runs with 9.2.2 only. (the web page says it will have a OSX version soon-NY Macworld quote)
So Mac guru's and other highly intelligent folk, whats the best buy for my money? Are they the same and its personal prefereence?
Thanx for listening (reading)
Robert :confused:

islander
Oct 7th, 2002, 12:23 PM
AFAIK the one you used (PlusOptimizer) is the only GUI defragmenting app available at the moment for X. (I don't know if there's a CLI way to defrag.) Given the HUGE number of files in OS X I'm not surprised it took you as long as it did. Seems to me in the past I've had defragging take that long or longer on seriously fragmented pre-X disks. I understand that fragmentation is by-product of updating done on OS X: i.e., every time a new update is installed you get more fragmentation.

islander
Oct 7th, 2002, 01:21 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Robert:

Norton Utilities 7 and DiskWarrior 2.1.1 <...> whats the best buy for my money? Are they the same and its personal prefereence? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, you'll likely get recommendations both ways. But for my money it's Disk Warrior all the way. DW doesn't claim to do nearly as much as Norton but what it does is well done. It has rescued me many a time when nothing else would--including on OS X. Norton OTOH caused me endless grief and I will never use it again on any Mac OS.

Since a fully OS X version of DW isn't out yet, to use it you boot from its CD. It does its thing on the OS X disk or partition and then you're OK.

PlusOptimizer, the defragmentation app included on the DW CD, is also OS 9.x-based.

I haven't defragged my OS X partition yet although PlusOptimizer shows that I have a lot of fragmentation. According to the UNIX-type gurus on some sites, defragging OS X isn't necessary unless you have a huge level of fragmentation on an overcrowded disk. (They then advise you to buy a larger drive.) But apparently defragging won't hurt either.