: Restore specific OS X Apps from install CD...

MannyP Design
Sep 30th, 2002, 12:09 AM
Does anyone know if there is a way to restore specific applications from the OS X install CD (rather than do a massive re-install)? Apps like iMovie and iDVD, etc. aren't easily restored, unlike the OS 9 CD.

Any takers? ;)

TIA,
Manny

PosterBoy
Sep 30th, 2002, 02:50 AM
yes. You have to look through the System Restore CDs (without starting up from them) and find all of the parts of the PKG/DMG ( I can;t remember which they are) files of the specific apps you want to restore. Some of them are spread across two or three of the CDs (depending on your restore set, most desktops have 4 disks now) but it can be done. I have done it once. It takes some time, but it is possible.

On the other hand, if you back up all your data and do a full erase and install of your system you will notice a speed increase. more of a hassle to get things back to good though.

--PB

MacNutt
Sep 30th, 2002, 05:28 AM
Hmmm....the much-discussed and much-dreaded disk fragmentation issue on the new UNIX-based OS. :eek:

This could be....according to at least one of the Apple techs I have dealt with over the last month or so...why my Pismo turned into a pumpkin after a day or two of running Jaguar. :rolleyes:

That is...when I actually got the darn thing to actually load Jaguar. :mad:

Thank god that OS9.2.2 still runs so well....or I might have bought a Dell! :rolleyes:

PosterBoy
Sep 30th, 2002, 06:59 AM
No, not a fragmentation problem. Some of the installers are too big to fit on one CD is all, so they are split up into a few parts to save space. You have to find them allin order to do the installation correctly.

Similar sounding different problem.

--PB

davei
Oct 3rd, 2002, 12:47 AM
Use the program Pacifist, it's like Tome Viewer for OS9. You can pull out programs from within .pkg files. I used it to install iPhoto without Acrobat or all the other stuff in the Additional Applications package.

It's available at www.charlessoft.com. (http://www.charlessoft.com.)

SOLID
Oct 4th, 2002, 01:18 PM
On this same topic, if you can extract the application you need, where do you install all the extra files that it needs to run that come with it? In the older Mac OS's I knew where to put the extensions, controll panels, fonts etc. but in OSX I'm a little lost.

PosterBoy
Oct 5th, 2002, 07:28 AM
As I recall, you can find the individual .pjg files for all of the apps. .pkg files are installers, and install everything neccessary.

--PB