: i desire the Zire

emceepj
Oct 10th, 2002, 04:51 PM
have you seen it? it matches my iBook and is about 169 CAD!

go to Palm's webpage (http://www.palm.com) for more info. i'm getting one ASAP.

Phil :D

hayesk
Oct 10th, 2002, 05:16 PM
It's nice looking but a tad short on RAM. I think the m105 with a Keyspan PDA adapter is a better deal though. Or even the m125.

PosterBoy
Oct 10th, 2002, 05:29 PM
Or something from HandSpring. The Sony Clie 360 would be a freaking awesome deal if it would sync with a Mac out of the box.

The best deal going right now is the m500 which currently retails for 300$, and it is a formerly 600$ model.

--PB

sniper
Oct 10th, 2002, 05:54 PM
i have an m505. the color screen makes a huge difference. also, more and more new applications are becoming color only.

frankly, i'm shocked at the zire. it's an m100 with a rechargable battery. the new lower priced models seem to be projected at a younger audience than pda's are currently popular with; late teens to early twenties. yet, this demographic (i should know, i'm in it) is more concerned with games than most, and a color screen is the only way to truly enjoy most games.

the only justification for getting a zire as far as i can tell is to get the basic organizer functions; calendar, contacts, memo pad. and for that use, the price seems a tad high to me.

Roland
Oct 10th, 2002, 06:38 PM
Plus there is no backlight.. So basically night comes... No use..

(I rely on my backlight to play games on my Visor Neo.)

Fink-Nottle
Oct 10th, 2002, 10:41 PM
Actually I rather like the minimalist approach:
-smaller is good
-more battery life is good
-cheaper is very good (and makes me less worried about losing it)
-recharging through USB... great!
-speed is adequate
-includes infrared... so I can use it to move data from my Mac to my phone
-memory is enough... I'll be backing up to my Mac anyway so I only need current info on it
-no backlight makes it smaller... and I don't see myself trying to use it in the dark anyway
Plus... it looks really cool! I think I'm sold... but I'll have to actually hold it before making the decision.

emceepj
Oct 11th, 2002, 01:38 AM
oh man. 2 mb? i didn't see that. well, u think that can hold all my ical/address book stuff?

hmmmm.....

the m105 looks tempting. backlit/8 mb......
but the zire..... so nice.

oh man. someone help me.

PosterBoy
Oct 11th, 2002, 02:08 AM
For address book/date book/memo stuff, 2 MB is very much so enough. It is when you start installing extras that you start needing more memory.

The backlight is a bit of an issue though, for me anyway as I use my Visor Edge at night all the time.

Again, the colour screen is nice but not required. If you can find a m505 new pick it up, they are discontinued and cheap, but they are very very scarce now.

The zire is meant for people who just want to replace their big honkin' datebook, you know the ones that are small binders that barely fit in a backpack?

--PB
--PB