: Renaming An Alias But Not The Original Folder's Name

bitznbytes
Feb 27th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Hi All,
I"ve got many macs at my house on my network. I want to create an alias on my macbook pro to a folder on my imac. THATS NO PROBLEM!

However,
I then want to RENAME that alias to another name. THATS NO PROBLEM!

My issue is,
when I rename that alias, it also renames the original folder and I don't want that! I want the alias name to be different than the original file's name. Is that possible? If so, do I need to create a symbolic link instead? If so, how is that done?

Thanks,
Bitz

bsenka
Feb 27th, 2010, 05:17 PM
when I rename that alias, it also renames the original folder and I don't want that!

I wouldn't want that either. This is not behavior I've ever seen on a Mac! Mine have always renamed the alias and kept the original intact.

John Clay
Feb 27th, 2010, 06:11 PM
Renaming an alias should not (and has never in my experience) renamed the actual file.

I just tried it out now, and it worked as expected without renaming the original file.

chopperking1967
Jul 21st, 2010, 01:26 PM
Anyone find an answer to this one yet?

Hi All,
I"ve got many macs at my house on my network. I want to create an alias on my macbook pro to a folder on my imac. THATS NO PROBLEM!

However,
I then want to RENAME that alias to another name. THATS NO PROBLEM!

My issue is,
when I rename that alias, it also renames the original folder and I don't want that! I want the alias name to be different than the original file's name. Is that possible? If so, do I need to create a symbolic link instead? If so, how is that done?

Thanks,
Bitz

CubaMark
Jul 21st, 2010, 02:22 PM
Check the Apple Discussions Forum (http://discussions.apple.com). The problem you two are describing I have never encountered since the first Mac Classic came out - very unusual.