: TUAW's "10 Reasons to Pass on the iPad" rebuttle

fyrefly
Feb 5th, 2010, 06:21 PM
Whole thing's here:
10 reasons to pass on the iPad? TUAW fact check (http://www.tuaw.com/2010/02/04/10-reasons-to-pass-on-the-ipad-tuaw-fact-check/)

Love the final statement:

But, just for the sake of argument, let's say we can cook up a portable computer far "better" than an iPad, a dream device that has USB, 1080p output, a removable battery, runs the full version of OS X, has a front-facing camera, isn't dependent on AT&T, isn't "locked in" to the App Store, has a physical keyboard, widescreen-formatted display, and has more than 64 GB of storage. What might such a device look like?

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.tuaw.com/media/2010/02/its-a-macbook-pro.jpg

Oh yeah.

groovetube
Feb 5th, 2010, 07:02 PM

that's hilarious.

i-rui
Feb 5th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Actually if apple offered a macbook pro convertible tablet with pressure sensitive touch screen I would've been ecstatic.

(i realize I'm in the minority)

Feb 5th, 2010, 07:49 PM
Hilarious!

kloan
Feb 5th, 2010, 10:56 PM
what, they couldn't find a recent picture? :rolleyes:

chas_m
Feb 6th, 2010, 06:24 AM
Actually if apple offered a macbook pro convertible tablet with pressure sensitive touch screen I would've been ecstatic.

(i realize I'm in the minority)

There is already exactly such a product:

Axiotron : Modbook Pro (http://www.axiotron.com/index.php?id=modbookpro)

And yet, strangely, neither you* nor anyone else I've ever heard of has actually bought one.

*I'll presume that you have never heard of this product until just now. :)

kloan
Feb 6th, 2010, 07:58 AM
^^nah, too big for my tastes.... meh, i'm perfectly content with my 13" MBP.

groovetube
Feb 6th, 2010, 08:38 AM
for almost 5 grand are you nuts?

cap10subtext
Feb 6th, 2010, 09:07 AM
what, they couldn't find a recent picture? :rolleyes:

No removable battery in the newer models...

MannyP Design
Feb 6th, 2010, 09:31 AM
There is already exactly such a product:

Axiotron : Modbook Pro (http://www.axiotron.com/index.php?id=modbookpro)

And yet, strangely, neither you* nor anyone else I've ever heard of has actually bought one.

*I'll presume that you have never heard of this product until just now. :)

They made a big splash when they first introduced their mods a couple of years back. I'd rather buy a full-out Apple version, rather than a modded laptop. It's pretty much what I'd want, but it's cheaper to get a WinTablet.

fjnmusic
Feb 6th, 2010, 03:26 PM
Whole thing's here:
10 reasons to pass on the iPad? TUAW fact check (http://www.tuaw.com/2010/02/04/10-reasons-to-pass-on-the-ipad-tuaw-fact-check/)

That's exactly true. But compare prices. I thought people were complaining that Macs were too expensive. Now you'll be able to get a stripped-down Mac junior with multi-touch screen for about $500, add a keyboard for $70 if you so desire, and budd-bing, you've got the coolest netbook on the block.

What exactly are people expecting for such a low price?

chas_m
Feb 6th, 2010, 09:44 PM

Everything plus a unicorn, apparently ...

MannyP Design
Feb 6th, 2010, 10:10 PM
That's exactly true. But compare prices. I thought people were complaining that Macs were too expensive. Now you'll be able to get a stripped-down Mac junior with multi-touch screen for about $500, add a keyboard for $70 if you so desire, and budd-bing, you've got the coolest netbook on the block.

When Apple revs up the hype machine by dropping bits and pieces of information to journalists on the sly, what can you expect?

chas_m
Feb 7th, 2010, 05:03 AM
When Apple revs up the hype machine by dropping bits and pieces of information to journalists on the sly, what can you expect?

Would you mind citing some specific examples of what you're talking about?

The only actual APPLE leaks I know of in relation to the iPad were given to the WSJ. In it, the only news was that a) it would ship in March and b) that the NYT people were working with Apple on it.

Everything else that I've seen was simply made up by speculators, some of whom of course guessed correctly.

If you bought the pre-release hype, it seems to me you have nobody to blame but yourself.

ertman
Feb 7th, 2010, 10:09 AM

Atleast a better name.:D

chas_m
Feb 7th, 2010, 07:30 PM
Atleast a better name.:D

Honestly I can't think of a truly better name for the device than iPad. To me (and apparently I was sick the day that Beavis and Butthead taught the "s******ing at anything that sounds like has anything even remotely to do with feminine hygiene" class), the word "pad" has about 10 different meanings, all of which are pretty cool, including "bachelor pad" (a light fun place to hang out, nothing too serious) and "notepad."

Honestly, I'd have thought of "pad thai" before I'd have thought of "menstrual pad." Guess that's just me, it's been a long time since I was 12.

iSlate would have been way dumber, in hindsight (sounds too much like "isolate," implying you'll be the only person using one of these things, or furthing painting apple users as isolated from "mainstream" computing, instantly branding the iSlate a "niche" product). "iTab" sounds like a soft drink, and we already got all the dumb "Jobs as Moses" jokes even without naming it the iTablet.

For whatever reason, Apple isn't done sticking an "i" in front of things. Until they are, "iPad" is, after some consideration, THE best "i" name for what we got.

But I'd love to hear your vastly superior "i" name not on the list above that Apple was just too stupid to think of ...

ertman
Feb 7th, 2010, 09:02 PM
Honestly I can't think of a truly better name for the device than iPad. To me (and apparently I was sick the day that Beavis and Butthead taught the "s******ing at anything that sounds like has anything even remotely to do with feminine hygiene" class), the word "pad" has about 10 different meanings, all of which are pretty cool, including "bachelor pad" (a light fun place to hang out, nothing too serious) and "notepad."

Honestly, I'd have thought of "pad thai" before I'd have thought of "menstrual pad." Guess that's just me, it's been a long time since I was 12.

iSlate would have been way dumber, in hindsight (sounds too much like "isolate," implying you'll be the only person using one of these things, or furthing painting apple users as isolated from "mainstream" computing, instantly branding the iSlate a "niche" product). "iTab" sounds like a soft drink, and we already got all the dumb "Jobs as Moses" jokes even without naming it the iTablet.

For whatever reason, Apple isn't done sticking an "i" in front of things. Until they are, "iPad" is, after some consideration, THE best "i" name for what we got.

But I'd love to hear your vastly superior "i" name not on the list above that Apple was just too stupid to think of ...

While I do get your point, I don't think I made any remarks regarding feminine hygiene. I also disagree that it is the "best" "i" name for this product, even after some consideration.