: Dumb iPad question....

Rps
Feb 3rd, 2010, 10:01 AM
Hello all: Just a quick question on the iPad. To my mind, it seems to work like a large iPhone or iPod Touch .... so the question is, how much RAM does this thing have to run video [ if ram is the word ]. I know they come in various sizes such as 16, 32, 64 gb, but when you are looking a video, what amount of video can it take in so you have smooth viewing .... I don't have an iPhone or Touch so I am unfamiliar with the size of video it can take or how it looks..... thanx

andreww
Feb 3rd, 2010, 10:30 AM
I don't think it has physical ram chips.

monokitty
Feb 3rd, 2010, 11:21 AM
Basic answer to the concern in mind: It can playback video just fine. ;)

So can the iPod Touch. And iPhone.

John Clay
Feb 3rd, 2010, 12:13 PM
Hello all: Just a quick question on the iPad. To my mind, it seems to work like a large iPhone or iPod Touch .... so the question is, how much RAM does this thing have to run video [ if ram is the word ]. I know they come in various sizes such as 16, 32, 64 gb, but when you are looking a video, what amount of video can it take in so you have smooth viewing .... I don't have an iPhone or Touch so I am unfamiliar with the size of video it can take or how it looks..... thanx

Just like the iPhone and iPod touch, Apple doesn't publicly state how much RAM is installed on these (and it certainly has RAM chips, just soldered on to the main board). I'd imagine it will be in the realm of 256MB to 512MB or so, as the iPhone 3GS has 256MB of RAM.

The iPad is designed for video viewing, and it's playing back from solid state storage. It'll be nice and smooth.

fyrefly
Feb 3rd, 2010, 12:19 PM
Also, Video Playback isn't necessarily a function of RAM... more VRAM (Video Card RAM) and Graphics Chipset. You could have an Intel GMA950 with 1GB of VRAM and the chipset still couldn't play 1080p smoothly. Whereas a NVidia 9600M could have 256MB and play 1080p.

VRAM mostly helps with gaming.

That being said, the iPhone 3GS plays video perfectly, and all bets are on the iPad having a better video chipset than the PowerVR in the iPhone 3GS.

Fastcoder
Feb 4th, 2010, 11:48 AM
looks good to me!