: What should the "iPad" have been called?

dona83
Jan 28th, 2010, 06:35 PM
iPad sounds like a mispelling of iPod.

I would've gone with iTab or iScribe. :)

Bjornbro
Jan 28th, 2010, 06:38 PM
iPod Touch Pro

NOT

Mac's ePad. :lmao:

(( p g ))
Jan 28th, 2010, 06:59 PM
The iWant

chas_m
Jan 28th, 2010, 07:03 PM
iPad is fine if you're not obsessed with feminine hygiene.

To me (and me alone, apparently) a "pad" is a fun place to hang out. Like a bachelor pad.

Alternatively, it's a useful collection of paper, like a memo pad.

That so many nerds would go immediately to "maxipad" makes me think some people out there really aren't getting laid enough, to be frank ...

johnnyspade
Jan 28th, 2010, 07:18 PM
That so many nerds would go immediately to "maxipad" makes me think some people out there really aren't getting laid enough, to be frank ...

I think some of this stems from the Mad TV skit that made it's way around the sphere a couple of years ago.

YouTube - iPad (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eF0y0IfpPU)

fjnmusic
Jan 28th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Not to mention the iRack.

YouTube - Madtv - Apple I-rack (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw2nkoGLhrE)

daniels
Jan 28th, 2010, 07:36 PM
i like islate better

rgray
iMistake

spiffychristian
l

taylorkim
Jan 28th, 2010, 07:40 PM
When I see the name, I keep thinking iPaq as in the Compaq PDA. It's not an inspiring name. I don't get Apple's obsession with putting the "i" in front of everything. I mean MacBook is fine.

Vexel
Jan 28th, 2010, 09:02 PM
I personally like iPad. :)

BigDL
Jan 28th, 2010, 10:28 PM
iT's moot

Corbeau
Jan 28th, 2010, 10:29 PM
iNewton?

iLabmAn
Jan 28th, 2010, 11:31 PM
iTouch Pro?

iPod Pro?

iPhone Pro?

fyrefly
Jan 28th, 2010, 11:55 PM
iTouch Pro?

iPod Pro?

iPhone Pro?

Problem is that it's not an iPod or an iPhone. And iTouch isn't a name Apple uses for it's products.

iPad sucks - but it's pretty bang-on for a descriptor.

Adrian.
Jan 29th, 2010, 12:35 AM
Am I the only one who doesn't understand why Apple didn't revive "iBook"? They talk about the thing like a book, it has book functionality and it looks like a book.

I think Jobs knew that iPad would start a media frenzy and he could get $100 million worth of free advertising because everyone is secretly still 12 years old.

eshm.assist
Jan 29th, 2010, 12:56 AM
iTablet

Dr.G.
Jan 29th, 2010, 05:17 AM
Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/showbiz/2010/01/28/ipad.madtv.mov.cnn?hpt=C2)

Oops!!!!!!!!!!!

pvrfan
Jan 29th, 2010, 09:31 AM
iNewton?

MessagePad (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MessagePad#Newton_device_models)2200?

MannyP Design
Jan 29th, 2010, 09:54 AM

To me (and me alone, apparently) a "pad" is a fun place to hang out. Like a bachelor pad.

That so many nerds would go immediately to "maxipad" makes me think some people out there really aren't getting laid enough, to be frank ...:lmao:

I think that being a nerd (as opposed to a geek) by mere definition means they aren't getting laid enough. Or as much as they would like.

Sorry, but it is a weak name for the exact reasons you've stated.

MazterCBlazter
Jan 29th, 2010, 10:28 AM

psxp
Jan 29th, 2010, 10:54 AM

To me Pad is like a memo pad.. to jot down Ideas. I dont mind the name - and apple are getting a lot of press on it anyway

CubaMark
Jan 29th, 2010, 11:20 AM
messagepad (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/messagepad#newton_device_models)2200?

+1 :p :)

screature
Jan 29th, 2010, 11:49 AM

Not you alone chas_m I have been saying exactly the same thing about the word pad as in a 60's or bachelor pad... a place that is yours a place to have fun.

screature
Jan 29th, 2010, 11:51 AM
I personally like iPad. :)

+1 makes perfect sense from a marketing stand point.

spiffychristian
Jan 29th, 2010, 12:07 PM

maguirer
Jan 29th, 2010, 05:51 PM
I was "meh" about the name at first. When it was one of the names floating around before the event along with Slate, Tablet, and Canvas, I was 99% sure the one name they weren't going to use was "iPad". Just thought it was too close to "iPod". In retrospect, I'm glad I didn't go around telling everyone how confident I was it wasn't going to be "iPad". :)

Having used it now (the name, I mean) for the last couple days, I find it starting to grow on me. And it's only four letters, so it's easy to type. Plus it's unique enough for a Google search.

dona83
Jan 29th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Lol.

Well the iPad name will have to stick. :) I don't mind it too much personally.

Andrew Pratt
Jan 29th, 2010, 07:03 PM
I'm not a fan of the name but it does make sense given the other product names. iSlate was what I was starting to get used to...though iBook would have been cool

TroutMaskReplica
Jan 30th, 2010, 02:06 PM
iTooBigToBeAPhone,NotUsefulEnoughToBeALaptop

i****edup

cap10subtext
Jan 31st, 2010, 06:54 PM
Shoulda called it the iTouch and been done with it... Everyone I know still calls the iPod Touch the iTouch, so presto, two birds with one stone, bank off the already accepted misnomer.

The iPad honestly sounds ridiculous to me and I think it's going to be a point of frustration using autospelling (google's pretty sure you meant "iPod").