: Import duty & GST/PST for 55" LCD from USA

zlinger
Jan 12th, 2010, 11:35 PM
I plan on driving to the US, and purchasing a 55" Samsung LED that is on sale.. Does anyone know if I will just need to pay only the GST/PST (12% BC) of the Canadian value? i read somewhere there could be a Duty fee of 18% on top.. is this true?

simon
Jan 13th, 2010, 12:02 AM
It's going to be pretty hard to smuggle a 55" TV so I would suggest declaring it at the border (you never know you may get lucky and the customs officer waves you through - it happened to me) Make sure you have your receipt and you will be charged applicable taxes on the purchase. There shouldn't be any duties as electronics are exempt.

If you stay more than 24 hours there is some personal exemptions you can claim ... and taxes are applied after the exemption - $50 for 24 hours, $400 for 48 hours and $750 for seven days

There is a bonus in custom declaration. If you declare your purchase and pay the applicable taxes your purchase is covered by your home insurance if you have a theft or fire. Insurance companies will deny coverage to items purchased in the US even if you have a receipt if they are not declared at the border. I purchased an expensive car stereo in the US (half the price) and it was stolen 3 weeks later. My insurance company initially refused to pay for the stereo when I submitted my receipt as proof of purchase, the claim was only approved when I showed proof I declared and paid applicable taxes at the border (mainly to the shock of my insurance adjuster because she says most people just smuggle)

danalicious
Jan 13th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Everything you need to know is here (http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5056-eng.html).