: Christmas cards - ya or nay?

hhk
Dec 6th, 2009, 10:04 PM
Do you send out cards? Do you care about receiving them?

rgray
Dec 6th, 2009, 10:25 PM
I like to see a fresh idea or a custom created card or a nice personal sentiment but most of the cards are just dead trees and more crap to recycle...

SINC
Dec 6th, 2009, 11:16 PM
I like to see a fresh idea or a custom created card or a nice personal sentiment but most of the cards are just dead trees and more crap to recycle...

Try this lady, she's awesome:

E-Cards, Animated Greeting Cards and Online Greetings by Jacquie Lawson (http://www.jacquielawson.com/default.asp)

bryanc
Dec 7th, 2009, 12:08 AM
I very much appreciate cards that are either home-made, have pictures of people I don't see often, or at least have a note in them. But the obviously token cards ("seasons greetings from _insert_name_here_") are worse than nothing.

That being said, I'm appallingly bad at sending these sorts of things out myself.... I've done a good job some years, and nothing other years... so it would be hypocritical to criticize others for not living up to my ideals.

While you can't put them on the mantle, electronic cards don't consume trees and don't burden the postal service.

Cheers

Lichen Software
Dec 7th, 2009, 07:45 AM
We got out of sending cards many years ago. We do write up a "Yearly Report" and send that out by email. I used to do it, but my wife has taken over that duty.

I like to see some cards come in. We put them up on the piano. Christmas and gift giving etc is not a big deal here, but we do some decorating and it goes with the season.

The real enjoyment we get is just "news from away" in what ever form it comes - letter, email, card.

hhk
Dec 7th, 2009, 09:31 AM
The reason I ask is that my wife and I are having the annual disagreement about this tradition. I barely look at the cards we receive. I think it's terribly wasteful if other people are doing the same. Postage is no longer trivial and the environmental impact significant.

So we reached a compromise. We're sending an e-card to everyone we know with an email address and a card with a photo to the oldies.

Griz
Dec 7th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Ack!

I HATE Xmas cards! I don't care about getting them. I dread sending them (but do anyway just to fulfill the masochistic element of my personality).

Moreover, I don't understand them in this day and age. I have flat rate long distance to anywhere in Canada (and US for certain times). I have email. iChat, Skype, Facebook, Myspace, etc. All the pretty holiday scenes & pictures, and some pretty ugly ones, are available to me in all their splendor on the internet.

And yet I'm forced (well, not forced) each year to come up with something joyful and idiotic to write in, without so much as a drop of hyperbole, 4 trillion holiday cards.

Please explain... WHY?

I can certainly understand it for folks who don't have a computer, and you don't really call much anymore. But if they are connected to the world via those magic Ethernet cables...WHY?

mrjimmy
Dec 7th, 2009, 10:41 AM
I think they're great. Nothing more festive than a mantle (or whatever) teeming with cards from friends and family. They are esthetically pleasing and are a great way to connect with people.

We make our own every year featuring the dog. A lot of thought and work goes into it and it really puts us in the holiday spirit.

E cards are nice but lack the tactility and effort put in to putting pen to paper and mailing something out.

Can't wait till they start rolling in.

SINC
Dec 7th, 2009, 11:04 AM
I think they're great. Nothing more festive than a mantle (or whatever) teeming with cards from friends and family. They are esthetically pleasing and are a great way to connect with people.

I have to agree with you there.

Back in the 50s my parents used string running from one corner of the wall to another and hung the cards facing out along the wall. (We did not have a mantle.) I can recall years where all four walls of the living room were covered in multiple rows.

Toss in red and green crepe paper streamers, twisted and run diagonally from corner to corner and a big paper bell at the centre where they crossed and the festive spirit came alive.

Ah, memories.

macdoodle
Dec 7th, 2009, 04:02 PM
I am not a card sender, :( however, I do make up a card with a sort of little poem for the recipient (usually relating to something they like, or a funny 'blooper' they made)

I just put it on the gift. If there is no gift, I leave it on a table or somewhere they will find it after I leave....

For those I will not see in the season, I try and send a virtual card. they do the same for me.... we are all busy, we all see each other often, and no one really sends cards as the postage alone is difficult for most.

It used to be 2cents if you didn't seal the envelope of a card....;) now, the envelope costs more than that....!

I do recall the wall lined with cards as a child, it was fun looking at all the different ones... ( I did it for years myself, but was quick to get out of the way of it once offered the opportunity to do so....;))

friend
Dec 7th, 2009, 06:28 PM
I boring.
Don't send them and don't really care at all if I get any.
It nice though to use e-card or one you make yourself
on the Mac. Maybe I'm just cheep with the money ;)

macdoodle
Dec 7th, 2009, 07:56 PM
I boring.
Don't send them and don't really care at all if I get any.
It nice though to use e-card or one you make yourself
on the Mac. Maybe I'm just cheep with the money ;)

Caman, you are not being cheap, these day's it is called 'frugal' ;):lmao:

Believe you me, I am very 'frugal' these days!! (and so are most people I know! )

chas_m
Dec 7th, 2009, 10:47 PM
Over the last few years -- particularly now that we live far away from many of our friends and family -- I've gotten into the habit of producing a holiday card. I am careful not to be specifically "Christmas" because most of my friends and family are either agnostic/aethiest or Jewish, and while it might surprise some, I haven't used Apple's iPhoto to make the holiday cards (I use them for books, calendars and other things, but not cards) because Costco does a great job and I can get them faster, which makes it easier to send them out late. :)

I enjoy getting them, it's a way of letting people know you're thinking of them. Yes, I suppose I should just print out emails and set them out on display, but somehow it's not the same. I particularly enjoy the ones (like ours) that feature a specially-taken holiday photo. It's also an inexpensive way to keep in touch with people who are not "all plugged in" on the various social internet stuff.

Manatus
Dec 7th, 2009, 11:24 PM
I think the reason that they're valuable is exactly because people hate sending them. Receiving a card means that someone bothered to go out and buy some cards, thought about who to send them to, maybe even wrote more than your name and address, got a stamp and went to the mailbox - and made the time to do all of that. They're one of those old outdated traditions that have lost their religious value and now take all of their usefulness from the fact that it shows someone likes you enough to do something pointless and waste their money for you - it just takes more effort than writing an e-mail and pasting a whole bunch of addresses.

ComputerIdiot
Dec 8th, 2009, 09:02 PM
I definitely don't send them on the scale my mother used to: I'd guess about 200 cards annually, with a recipe box full of notecards with names, addresses, which years you sent and a checkmark above the year if you received one -- lack of a checkmark for two or three years running meant that party was quietly removed from the dance floor unless things changed.

I send perhaps a dozen cards a year, mostly to family, some to friends and acquaintances. I do use mass-produced cards but have been slowly working my way through my accumulation and plan to make my own once these are gone (no doubt featuring a disgruntled cat on the front :lmao:), unless I find something really striking in the stores.

And yep, I like getting cards. Years ago I bought a small artificial tree, cut in half lengthwise. I hang it on the wall and use decorative clips to attach the cards to it.

I agree that electronic cards are less wasteful but ... they're not the same. I'm happy to get them but would prefer not to send them.