: Don't smoke

MazterCBlazter
Nov 14th, 2009, 02:40 PM

used to be jwoodget
Nov 14th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Some very creative ads. Best advert I saw was at a recent BodyWorlds exhibit at the Ontario Science Centre where they had slices through a normal and a smokers lungs. The latter was actually oozing with soot and tar (the average smokers lungs contain an ounce of liquid tar). After stopping while healthy, the lungs can restore almost full capacity within 2 years.

SINC
Nov 14th, 2009, 03:26 PM
I guess mine must be pretty well restored. I quit August 23, 2000.

used to be jwoodget
Nov 14th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Probably as pink as a babies bum SINC.... :) Congratulations. It ain't easy quitting.

And it's not just lung cancer that kills, it's emphysema, greater risk of pneumonia, etc. Too bad our governments are as addicted to the tax revenues as smokers are to nicotine.

Dr.G.
Nov 14th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Some very creative ads. Best advert I saw was at a recent BodyWorlds exhibit at the Ontario Science Centre where they had slices through a normal and a smokers lungs. The latter was actually oozing with soot and tar (the average smokers lungs contain an ounce of liquid tar). After stopping while healthy, the lungs can restore almost full capacity within 2 years.

I recall in grade 10 health class the gym teacher, who was not much of a teacher, handed out a sheet about the trouble with smoking and what it could do to you ................... and when he saw that most were just goofing around he hauled out a healthy lung and slapped it on the lab table ......... and then took out a diseased lung of a smoker and slapped it right next to the healthy lung. The toughest guys in the class nearly passed out at the sight. The gym teacher demanded we take a long and hard look at the two lungs. I stated to get lightheaded and took off my glasses, making my far-point vision a blur and thus saving me from passing out.

I did not smoke until my daughter was born profoundly disabled back in 1983. Still, I quit once I got up to 10 a day and have not had more than a few puffs since then. They truly are "devil sticks". beejacon:ptptptptpXX)

KC4
Nov 14th, 2009, 06:19 PM

:clap::clap::clap::clap::)

l84toff
Nov 14th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Good pics.

Smoked for 7 years. Quit 12 years ago. Although it's hard to quit, nothing is impossible if you really want it!

Dr.G.
Nov 14th, 2009, 07:45 PM
Good pics.

Smoked for 7 years. Quit 12 years ago. Although it's hard to quit, nothing is impossible if you really want it!

Amen, brother ............ especially if you have children.

l84toff
Nov 14th, 2009, 08:03 PM

My 19 year old step son sadly has taken up the habit (probably a few years ago). It's been quite a learning experience for me trying to get him to quit. It's really made me realize that I can't quit for him, as hard as I've tried. He has to really want to quit to make it a permanent choice.

It's a nasty thing, sucks the life out of you and the people around you. That's one thing that just baffles me like very little in the world, when I see people driving in their car smoking and I see little kids in the back. You know they have a choice in the matter, the kids don't. I find this to be the ultimate form of ignorance.

friend
Nov 14th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Exactly.
Imagine having to tell the kids that da is going to die and wont be around for when they need him, just because he kept sticking those darn thingybobs in his mouth. :(
Night mare. XX)

I gave it up when my ex was pregnant with our first miracle.
Can't be both father and selfish.
Got to choose life for the benefit of the young.

Well done to ye that has stopped. Good on youse. :clap:
And to ye others, join us. :)

Dr.G.
Nov 14th, 2009, 08:12 PM
I quit when my daughter was going to live, but live a profoundly disabled life. Luckily, I was only up to 10 a day and only for a few months, so it was not difficult to quit.

friend
Nov 14th, 2009, 08:14 PM
I quit when my daughter was going to live, but live a profoundly disabled life. Luckily, I was only up to 10 a day and only for a few months, so it was not difficult to quit.
Fair play to you. :clap:

How is she doing today, if I might ask?

Dr.G.
Nov 14th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Fair play to you. :clap:

How is she doing today, if I might ask?

This may sound cruel, but luckily, Shaina died about two years ago. She lived in pain for 24 years, and was facing even more operations and a diminshed quality of life. Luckily for her, she was able to die a peaceful death, as she should have been allowed to do at birth with a bit of dignity.

Paix, mon ami.

friend
Nov 14th, 2009, 08:31 PM
This may sound cruel, but luckily, Shaina died about two years ago. She lived in pain for 24 years, and was facing even more operations and a diminshed quality of life. Luckily for her, she was able to die a peaceful death, as she should have been allowed to do at birth with a bit of dignity.

Paix, mon ami.
I know what you mean and no I don't see that as being cruel.
Living a life in great pain is not what one wishes for one's child, at all.
As hard as it must be to lose a child, it must sometimes be harder to see a child suffer.

Being bahái, I do acknowledge the physical loss in these circumstances, which is very hard for us and painful. But also joy knowing that a loved one has moved on to a far better place then this.

I lost my dear mother 3,5 years ago and I have felt her presence on a few occasions.
Especially close to her passing.
In my heart I know that there is a life beyond this.
There is no doubt in my mind that we will re-unite with our loved one's
once again when that day comes.
It is a great comfort to us all when we dare to put our trust in God and
believe the promises we have been given.

Et toi aussi.

P.S. I hope I don't offend anyone who doesn't believe in God.

l84toff
Nov 14th, 2009, 08:35 PM

Paix, mon ami.

That sounds tough, that's for sure. Stuff like that helps me put things in perspective in my life.

imactheknife
Nov 15th, 2009, 11:08 AM

congrats Sinc, I quit Sept 08 2001 and it was the best decision I ever made....:clap:

I find going back to school more difficult than to stop smoking!

SINC
Nov 15th, 2009, 11:57 AM
congrats Sinc, I quit Sept 08 2001 and it was the best decision I ever made....:clap:

I find going back to school more difficult than to stop smoking!

Good on ya imtk.

It was tough though, wasn't it? I was nearly a two pack a day guy for 42 years before that.

Dr.G.
Nov 15th, 2009, 11:59 AM
That sounds tough, that's for sure. Stuff like that helps me put things in perspective in my life.

Thank you, l84toff. Paix, mon ami.

Dr.G.
Nov 15th, 2009, 12:00 PM
"I know what you mean and no I don't see that as being cruel.
Living a life in great pain is not what one wishes for one's child, at all.
As hard as it must be to lose a child, it must sometimes be harder to see a child suffer."

Very, very true, friend. Paix, mon ami.