: Will AppleTV do this?

darkscot
Nov 13th, 2009, 03:40 PM
My kids' DVD collection is steadily being destroyed. I've thought of making a copy of each and burning but I just hate to think of all the time spent doing so. I think I'd rather just have an electronic copy.

If I copy each and store on external hard drive, can I connect that to AppleTV to access the movies or must I connect the hd to a Mac to stream to the AppleTV?

(( p g ))
Nov 13th, 2009, 04:31 PM
AppleTV accesses movies via iTunes, so yes, you will need to have that external drive connected to your Mac.

Also of note, you can backup each of your DVDs using Handbrake and selecting the AppleTV preset.

darkscot
Nov 13th, 2009, 04:39 PM
thanks! :) I've got Handbrake, VisualHub and iSquint to help.

We've got two laptops (MBP and MB) so we'd like to avoid attaching the hd to those. Will connectign it to an older eMac (1.25 gHz) cause it to choke up at all?

Bjornbro
Nov 13th, 2009, 04:47 PM
"If it's on iTunes, it's on AppleTV."

Macified
Nov 13th, 2009, 06:12 PM
It will cost you some money but you should also consider an iTunes/AppleTV compatible NAS hard drive. It sits on your network and streams to all of your other systems. New files can be added to it from any if the computers on your network. Synology makes very well regarded units.

Good luck.

rgray
Nov 13th, 2009, 07:26 PM
It will cost you some money but you should also consider an iTunes/AppleTV compatible NAS hard drive. It sits on your network and streams to all of your other systems. New files can be added to it from any if the computers on your network. Synology makes very well regarded units.

Good luck.

Can you suggest a particular model?

i-rui
Nov 13th, 2009, 07:45 PM
If you're willing to modify your apple tv there's a hack that lets you hook an external hdd to it..

Do a google search for more info.

Macified
Nov 13th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Can you suggest a particular model?

That all depends on how much the Op is willing to spend. I'd recommend checking out their site and familiarizing with the product line before making a personal decision.

The most basic unit is probably be their 109+

Synology America Corp. - NEW NAS Experience - (http://www.synology.com/us/products/DS109+/index.php)

Hope that helps...

darkscot
Nov 14th, 2009, 09:55 AM
I'm not into the NAS solution yet. We've got two laptops (MBP and MB) so we'd like to avoid attaching the hd to those. Will connectign it to an older eMac (1.25 gHz) cause it to choke up at all?