: Iphone 2G - Unlocked - Rogers data issues

ak101
Nov 3rd, 2009, 03:37 PM
I've been using the $7/month unlimited WAP plan with Rogers for 3 months now with no issues. Rogers has a different IMEI in their system for me and I use my Iphone no problem. Never been charged a cent on my bills.

As of today, suddenly my WAP browsing doesn't work and rogers has not removed my WAP browsing plan. Now anytime I use Safari to access a webpage it redirects me to some Rogers website that never actually loads.

Anyone know why this would start happening all of a sudden?

Thanks!

sm4rtb0mb
Nov 4th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Same case here. I've been using it on an unlocked AT&T Blackberry 8310 on Rogers for about 9 months now. Tried it this morning to read the news waiting for the train and they want me to buy a 'Day Pass' for data for the day. All my Google mobile apps are now spitting out you need a data connection. Then again... even the facebook links on the Rogers WAP portal go to charge... At least you would expect the links to work within the Roger WAP portal, for ON-DEVICE BROWSING.

sm4rtb0mb
Nov 4th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Upon making several calls to Rogers today... One excuse was because I wasn't using my original phone, which I replied I never used the original phone. Service was good for months until this morning. Another was unlocked device, sorry, not allowed to help you. The last time, I had a report sent higher up in tech support and am awaiting my reply. My guess is... if u own a good smartphone on rogers (at least the more popular anyways) u get an iPhone or Blackberry Data plan. I was starting to like unlimited google apps, msn, facebook, and yahoo news. i didn't really need to browse outside of those. now it's all gone...

ak101
Nov 5th, 2009, 03:07 PM
I actually got this issue solved on my iPhone 2G. I talked to someone in data department and they made me switch off my phone, they did a rest on their side. When I turned it back on, data was as good as before, in fact a bit faster!

They didn't ask me which device I am using and in their system they think I have a w810 which is compatible with the unlimited WAP data plan. All is good so far!

daniels
Nov 7th, 2009, 03:41 AM
I'm using an iphone 3G and my Edge network works after 20mins of restarting the iphone or switching from wifi to Edge.

sm4rtb0mb
Nov 8th, 2009, 01:31 PM
They placed some update in the system which cut me off on Wed, Nov 4, 2009. Looking at your post, I am quite sure it has something to do with your IMEI. Log into your Rogers account, click `My Wireless Services`and scroll right to the bottom, to My Current Wireless Essentials. When I had this issue, my Motorola V360 was listed as the Compatible hardware. After a final call to Rogers Sr. Tech support yesterday, playing stupid saying my V360 WAP browsing is asking for a data plan, they resolved the issue (they have a white board posting). After the issue was resolved, I logged back into my Rogers account and noticed my original phone had disappeared from the Compatible Hardware and now both say `No compatible hardware`instead of Motorola V360.

I am back up and browsing on my unlocked US AT&T BlackBerry 8310, no more prompts to buy a data plan. Google Apps and Facebook (1.6, not 1.7!!!) App are working again.

Save yourself a headache, NEVER mention that you are using an unlocked phone.:cool: