: SMS fees?

genexxa
Nov 3rd, 2009, 02:49 PM
Ok I don't know if this is normal but Rogers are now charging me for incoming sms. I have the 17.50$ voice plan with the 6GB Data plan. I don't have any Value pack or messaging package.

At the beginning they were only charging outgoing messages but now it's both sent and received.

Anyone can confirm?

John Clay
Nov 3rd, 2009, 03:00 PM
Yes, Rogers is charging for incoming texts for those without texting plans.

Orion
Nov 3rd, 2009, 03:01 PM
Most of the telcos have hinted (or outright stated) that they would be charging for incoming text messages. Something to do with the profit margins being lower than desired. ;) They are attempting to encourage people to sign up for text messaging services.

If you are receiving messages that you do not want you should be able to contact Rogers and have them block the offending source. I'm not certain if they can, though. Never asked.

HowEver
Nov 3rd, 2009, 03:05 PM
This is old news, as they say. Rogers waited a full year after Telus and Bell started charging for incoming messages to charge, but as noted above if you are on any kind of messaging plan you get 2500 incoming included. Some of the value packs could reduce your fees, so you might switch to something like that.

monokitty
Nov 3rd, 2009, 03:27 PM
If you ever text at all, it's probably worth having some sort of texting plan, even if just a bare basic one.

genexxa
Nov 3rd, 2009, 04:10 PM
ok.. thank you guys..

I guess I'll have to pick one of their messaging plans...