: How Audiobooks display on iPod

cheshire_cat
Nov 2nd, 2009, 10:55 AM
I searched through past threads and postings for the problem I am having before posting this but couldn't find one. I'm having a problem with how Audiobooks display on my iPod. I have been importing audiobooks on my iTunes. It displays all the chapters so I don't know which book it belongs too.

1) Import Audiobook
2) After importing, I select all the chapters in the book and right click to get the popup menu
3) Select Get Info
4) Click Options tab and change Media to Audiobook
5) Entire Audiobook moves to Audiobook section
6) When you select the Audiobook section, it displays all the chapters
7) Import another Audiobook
8) Repeat steps 2-5

When you go back to Audiobook section, all the chapters from the second audiobook are displayed under the first one you imported. You know which book its for by the Album name but when you upload it into your iPod, it doesn't display the name of the book. This is my problem.

Is there a way, on your iPod, to have the book name display first, click it, then have it display the chapters?

Macified
Nov 2nd, 2009, 11:00 AM
I don't know about making your iPod display the way you want but I will recommend that you use an audiobook ripping tool to get the files into iTunes. I use an application called AudioBook Builder. It is horribly slow (for no real reason) but it does setup the audiobooks in a good format for iTunes/iPod to use them properly. You have control over how the chapters are handled, the size of each individual file, etc. You don't need to just run them by track number (which is frequently arbitrirly set by size, not truly by chapter points).

Good luck.

digitddog
Nov 3rd, 2009, 11:01 AM
You can do it several ways, depending on your iPod. But the surefire way is to create playlists for each audiobook in iTunes. If you want a step-by-step, let me know.

I like my audiobooks to appear at the top of my list of playlists for easy access. So when I name the playlist, I put a ` sign at the front of the name. (You can probably use any symbol, but I've always just used the '.

bsenka
Nov 3rd, 2009, 11:19 AM
You can do it several ways, depending on your iPod. But the surefire way is to create playlists for each audiobook in iTunes. If you want a step-by-step, let me know.

I like my audiobooks to appear at the top of my list of playlists for easy access. So when I name the playlist, I put a ` sign at the front of the name. (You can probably use any symbol, but I've always just used the '.

I use a smart playlist for my audio books. It not only keeps the files in order under the right tile, but I also have the smart playlist only contain unplayed files so that the first file in the playlist is always the next one I haven't heard yet. It really works well, and there's never any confusion over where you're at in the book.

Lionkun
Nov 3rd, 2009, 03:46 PM
I generally create playlists for my audiobooks or group each chapter together and just find it as an album.
iTunes and iPods use a special format for audiobooks that allow them to show up under the correct places which is m4b.

cheshire_cat
Nov 3rd, 2009, 08:57 PM
Thanks for all the responses. I will try using smart playlist and see how things go.

digitddog
Nov 4th, 2009, 12:40 AM
I use a smart playlist for my audio books. It not only keeps the files in order under the right tile, but I also have the smart playlist only contain unplayed files so that the first file in the playlist is always the next one I haven't heard yet. It really works well, and there's never any confusion over where you're at in the book.

Very clever. I'll have to try this. I only listen to audiobooks in sequence so smart playlists like this are genius.

alexnikle
Nov 4th, 2009, 04:18 AM
try convert your video to mp3