: iPhone hardware problems?

sashmo
Oct 30th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Hi, I bought an iPhone 3Gs in the spring, 2009. Lately I've had some weird problems with it and I was wondering if anybody else has encountered similar unreliability. The Mail program goes antsy: as soon as I click on the Mail icon and it starts downloading messages, the program shuts down. So I reset network settings. It happened again. This time I deleted the mail accounts. Then the camera stopped working. The aperture just wouldn't open. I had to do a hard reset, holding down both the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button until the Apple logo appeared. Sound familiar to anybody? Should I be calling Apple about this?

monokitty
Oct 30th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Apple Store.

gadgetguy
Oct 31st, 2009, 03:41 AM
Could that not just be software issues? I had a weird glitch awhile back with Messages crashing whenever I tried to open it. A software restore fixed that. If you want to save yourself time or if you don't live anywhere near an Apple Store like me, maybe try a software restore first. If you want to try to get a new phone out of Apple, I guess it's worth a shot.

i-rui
Oct 31st, 2009, 03:57 AM
I echo the above. do a restore in itunes. that's what the apple store will tell you to do. if it's still buggy make an appointment with a genius at your nearest apple store.

sashmo
Oct 31st, 2009, 11:21 AM
I just thought it might be hardware because of the camera issue. But I guess that could be software also. Yeah, I guess I should call the Apple store next week. I'm not getting the impression that these problems are common.
Thanks.

sashmo
Nov 1st, 2009, 01:29 PM
Well, I called the Sherway Gardens Apple store. They told me to call Applecare. Fortunately the phone was still under its stingy one yr. warrantee. He told me to do a restore from the iTunes program. The phone is still syncing. Too many songs. If I still have problems after this, they'll consider it a hardware problem.

gadgetguy
Nov 1st, 2009, 01:39 PM
Let us know of the verdict once it's all done! :)

sashmo
Nov 1st, 2009, 07:12 PM
Hey, thanks for your interest. Everything is good. A bonus: I have more free space. I wish it was so easy to reformat a computer.