: TELUS to bring iPhone 3GS to Canada Thursday, November 5

harvey499
Oct 26th, 2009, 01:45 PM
About TELUS | Media | News Releases (http://about.telus.com/cgi-bin/news_viewer_ir.cgi?news_id=1141&mode=2)

Oct 26th, 2009, 06:15 PM
I find it interesting that in the press release they don't talk about the price of their data/voice plans for the iPhone. Perhaps they're waiting until the last minute so that they can inflict maximum damage to Rogers? Or perhaps the pricing is guaranteed to suck?

FeXL
Oct 26th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Or perhaps the pricing is guaranteed to suck?

Would this really surprise anyone?

Sonal
Oct 26th, 2009, 06:59 PM
I find it interesting that in the press release they don't talk about the price of their data/voice plans for the iPhone. Perhaps they're waiting until the last minute so that they can inflict maximum damage to Rogers? Or perhaps the pricing is guaranteed to suck?

Their data plans and data plan offerings often vary slightly from province to province or sometimes even city to city. So they are probably not going to mention the plan prices in the press release.

Also, if they announce the price of their plan now, Rogers can drop their plan price now and scoop up Telus clients before November 5th. Why give away an advantage like that?

ETA: Which is not to say that the plans will not suck. They will.

daniels
Oct 27th, 2009, 02:19 AM
I'm pretty sure the cheapest iphone plan is going to be $50.00

bsenka
Oct 27th, 2009, 08:26 AM
I'm pretty sure the cheapest iphone plan is going to be $50.00

I'll be pleasantly surprised if they're even that low in most markets.

As previously mentioned, Telus' track record is towards regional pricing. They are very aggressive in certain markets, and don't really try to compete in others. Not announcing pricing in a national press release is totally consistent. I'm optimistic that the rates will be better than Rogers at least here in Winnipeg, because they have a history of aggressive pricing here. If nothing else, the per month rates may be the same, but you might get more for that price point.

twolf3232
Oct 27th, 2009, 08:51 AM
I'm optimistic that the rates will be better than Rogers at least here in Winnipeg, because they have a history of aggressive pricing here.

I was trying to disect the offer by reading the fineprint yesterday and I came across this:

"The iPhone 3G or iPhone 3GS are not available in Manitoba or Saskatchewan."

Do statements like this tend to exclude Winnipeg?

If nothing else, the per month rates may be the same, but you might get more for that price point.

Again from the fineprint:

"Pricing available to new clients who activate on a 3 year term with a Smartphone voice and data rate plan of $50 or greater."

You can build an iPhone-eiligible plan with Fido for $50. I haven't compared the details of the plans yet, but as of today, Telus still charges an SAF and doesn't have per-second billing. Advantage Fido. I know that they'll negotiate at Telus - would they waive the SAF and maybe give a 25% discount for the lack of per-second billing?

bhil
Oct 27th, 2009, 10:40 AM
I was trying to disect the offer by reading the fineprint yesterday and I came across this:

I don't know about Winnipeg specifically, but the Saskatchewan exclusion is becasuse SaskTel (the local carrier whose towers Telus uses) has not completed the turn-up of their new network yet. I imagine as soon as that network is up the exclusion will be removed. Perhaps Winnipeg/Manitoba is in the same situation?

techfox
Oct 27th, 2009, 10:47 AM
According to another forum, Winnipeg and Saskatchewan will have data coverage by Q3 2010.

bsenka
Oct 27th, 2009, 10:51 AM

Crap. I never saw that part.

They can, Telus and Rogers are both essentially available only right within Winnipeg, they have virtually no rural coverage to speak of in Manitoba. However, I'm reading that to mean that we're not getting iPhones here just yet probably because the big new network isn't actually finished, and MB/SK are last on the list.

HowEver
Oct 27th, 2009, 10:51 AM
According to another forum, Winnipeg and Saskatchewan will have data coverage by Q3 2010.

I know all the carriers have some holes, but really? Wow. You can't travel to Saskatchewan or Winnipeg with your Bell/Telus GSM phone and have any service at all.

techfox
Oct 27th, 2009, 10:55 AM
I know all the carriers have some holes, but really? Wow. You can't travel to Saskatchewan or Winnipeg with your Bell/Telus GSM phone and have any service at all.

Then again, who actually travels through these provinces? Unfortunately, the incumbent carriers (Sasktel and MTS) don't want to play nice with anyone else.

SINC
Oct 27th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Then again, who actually travels through these provinces? Unfortunately, the incumbent carriers (Sasktel and MTS) don't want to play nice with anyone else.

Then again, who actually travels to Toronto? :)

Crapping on hundreds of ehMacians who live in these provinces is an insult.

techfox
Oct 27th, 2009, 11:41 AM
I was just kidding.
I will be travelling to Winnipeg 2nd week of December. Hopefully both my Telus HSPA and Rogers HSPA devices work while I'm there.. (Obviously, the Telus device will not).

SINC
Oct 27th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Glad to hear it. Any cell device I have ever owned worked well in both SK and MB by the way. With relatives in both provinces, I travel there often.

HowEver
Oct 27th, 2009, 12:15 PM
I was just kidding.
I will be travelling to Winnipeg 2nd week of December. Hopefully both my Telus HSPA and Rogers HSPA devices work while I'm there.. (Obviously, the Telus device will not).

The good thing about a Rogers device, the iPhone included, is that it will default to an EDGE or GPRS Rogers network where 3G/HSPA isn't available. A Telus/Bell GSM phone cannot do that, unless it roams on another carrier (like Rogers/fido) where Telus/Bell 3G is not available.

Oct 27th, 2009, 12:56 PM
The good thing about a Rogers device, the iPhone included, is that it will default to an EDGE or GPRS Rogers network where 3G/HSPA isn't available. A Telus/Bell GSM phone cannot do that, unless it roams on another carrier (like Rogers/fido) where Telus/Bell 3G is not available.

You can bet that if it does that, the data charges will be insane.

dona83
Oct 27th, 2009, 02:44 PM
You can build an iPhone-eiligible plan with Fido for $50. I haven't compared the details of the plans yet, but as of today, Telus still charges an SAF and doesn't have per-second billing. Advantage Fido. I know that they'll negotiate at Telus - would they waive the SAF and maybe give a 25% discount for the lack of per-second billing?

The $15 voice and $25 data plan = $40 would get you an iPhone at Fido at the fully subsidized price. :)

Maybe Bell/Telus' 3G network will completely cover 95% of the population.

AgentXXL
Oct 27th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Just saw a report on the local news that Telus is dropping the SAF and e911 fees but raising the cost on all plans by $5 and throwing in voicemail. The average consumer will save about $3 depending on their plan options. They call it 'Clear and Simple Pricing' on the Telus Mobility website. Couldn't find a non-localized link, so just go to:

Select your province | TELUS Mobility (http://www.telusmobility.com)

FeXL
Oct 28th, 2009, 10:51 AM
The average consumer will save about $3 depending on their plan options.

Now that's some serious competition going on there. Be still my beating heart...

bhil
Oct 28th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Then again, who actually travels through these provinces? Unfortunately, the incumbent carriers (Sasktel and MTS) don't want to play nice with anyone else.That's a blatantly uninformed comment. The incumbent carriers would love to play nice, however, they don't have the crap-ton of money and manpower that Bell/Telus are throwing at the upgrade to get it done in the same timeframe. That's why their support will be later.

SINC
Oct 29th, 2009, 05:04 AM
I am getting the 32 GB iPhone on the Telus G3S network next Friday morning, November 6. I will be the first in the city to have one on the new network. My cell dealer tells me the new Telus network is much faster than the current Rogers network. That will be easy to determine as I can compare it directly to my daughter's Rogers iPhone.

That of course means my 32 GB iPod Touch becomes extra baggage and I will be entertaining offers for it soon. ;)

HowEver
Oct 29th, 2009, 09:51 AM
It is hoped that Telus and Bell's 3G network will be good for their potential iPhone users.

Right now, nobody knows at all what they will be like from a user's standpoint, especially what will happen once the networks get populated with a lot of subscribers. iPhones use networks differently than regular cell phones and even really good smartphones.

I've been in non-3G areas maybe twice (that's you, IKEA store! where I occasionally get dragged) and usually get bumped from 3G down to EDGE or GPRS. Since that can't happen on Telus/Bell, when 3G goes out, you have no voice or data at all. EDGE and GPRS, as well as 3G, are massive quality networks where I travel.

It would be great if Bell and Telus have a reliable, quality network nationwide. And to finally use the world standard GSM, that's a bonus. Previously I found Telus phones unusable, even at the high end; to me, voice on a Telus phone sounded tinny and digitized. I doubt the iPhone 3GS will sound like that. And it will be interesting to compare 3GS to 3GS on the different networks.

SINC
Oct 29th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Does anyone know if I can transfer all my apps on the Touch, as well as my photos, music, contacts, etc. to the iPhone simply by plugging it into iTunes like I do the Touch now, or is there another procedure to follow? Also can the contacts file from a Motorola Krzr be transferred to a iPhone?

whatiwant
Oct 29th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Does anyone know if I can transfer all my apps on the Touch, as well as my photos, music, contacts, etc. to the iPhone simply by plugging it into iTunes like I do the Touch now, or is there another procedure to follow? Also can the contacts file from a Motorola Krzr be transferred to a iPhone?

you can import contacts from SIM card in the iPhone settings.

Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > "Import SIM Contacts"

After you do that you should make sure that you sync them back to your address book on your Mac. Then you're all good. Apps will transfer to the Phone from iTunes so long as you have the same account enabled as the one on your Touch.

gordguide
Oct 29th, 2009, 10:55 AM
" ... I know all the carriers have some holes, but really? Wow. You can't travel to Saskatchewan or Winnipeg with your Bell/Telus GSM phone and have any service at all. ..."

Bell and Telus signed an agreement to speed up the build of the GSM-compatible network in 2008; as recently as last June they were publicly saying not before 2010, which is when SaskTel and MTS will also roll out (SaskTel says early '10, MTS just says "2010"). Each of these providers have been building the network and many towers are up now, although not announced as operating.

Once that happens, you will have much better iPhone coverage with Telus, Bell, SaskTel or MTS Canada-wide than with Rogers. It's not a matter of years, it's a matter of months. You can expect SaskTel and MTS to offer the iPhone as soon as their networks are up.

If you use a Rogers iPhone now, you have no 3G coverage outside of major cities in western Canada; eg nothing outside of Regina and Saskatoon in SK; nothing outside of Winnipeg in MB, nothing outside of Fort MacMurray, Calgary, Edmonton, most of (but not all) the highway from Calgary to Edmonton, in AB, etc.

Whereas with the non-Rogers towers, you will have coverage over most of these provinces within a year; even the Ontario coverage maps will be better than Rogers.

If you use a regular cellphone, or smartphone/Blackberry for 3G/EVDO, you already have better coverage than with Rogers.

Telus owns the towers in BC and AB, SaskTel in SK, MTS in MB, and Bell east of lake of the woods, although Telus, in cooperation with Bell, built some towers in southern Ontario to speed up the iPhone compatible rollout. All these carriers use the others' towers, seamlessly to the users. It will be the same for non-Rogers iPhones.

Although Rogers phones are compatible with the new towers built by others, there is no agreement with Rogers and these others to use them.

SINC
Oct 29th, 2009, 11:07 AM
you can import contacts from SIM card in the iPhone settings.

Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > "Import SIM Contacts"

After you do that you should make sure that you sync them back to your address book on your Mac. Then you're all good. Apps will transfer to the Phone from iTunes so long as you have the same account enabled as the one on your Touch.

Trouble is, my Motorola Krzr does not have a SIM card. I sync it to a separate file on my Mac using Motorola software that came with the phone.

techfox
Oct 29th, 2009, 02:47 PM
That's a blatantly uninformed comment. The incumbent carriers would love to play nice, however, they don't have the crap-ton of money and manpower that Bell/Telus are throwing at the upgrade to get it done in the same timeframe. That's why their support will be later.

Actually, it's a well known fact that MTS and Sasktel have been very unwilling to sign a roaming agreement with Telus for years. Recently (July 2008) did Sasktel agree to sign an agreement with Telus.

MTS is still unwilling to sign a roaming agreement.

Obviously, now that Telus is going HSPA, MTS and Sasktel do not have the funds to play with the big boys, but they're also unwilling to share the costs (as Bell and Telus have) for the big cities in MB and SK.

Industry Canada ruled 3 years ago that they must play nice, but MTS is still not willing to adhere by it.

whatiwant
Oct 29th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Trouble is, my Motorola Krzr does not have a SIM card. I sync it to a separate file on my Mac using Motorola software that came with the phone.

iSync: Supported mobile phones in Mac OS X 10.4, 10.5 (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2824)

Should be able to sync to your OS X address book using iSync, unless Belus has crippled your phone.

bhil
Oct 30th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Actually, it's a well known fact that MTS and Sasktel have been very unwilling to sign a roaming agreement with Telus for years. Recently (July 2008) did Sasktel agree to sign an agreement with Telus.

MTS is still unwilling to sign a roaming agreement.

Obviously, now that Telus is going HSPA, MTS and Sasktel do not have the funds to play with the big boys, but they're also unwilling to share the costs (as Bell and Telus have) for the big cities in MB and SK.

Industry Canada ruled 3 years ago that they must play nice, but MTS is still not willing to adhere by it.Actually, Telus (having no towers of their own in Saskatchewan) has been running on SaskTel's network for years. Until July of last year they only had access to the digital network in the major centers, but still had access to the entire analog network (which covers most of the province). Last July they gained access to the entire digital network as well.

As for who's being playing nice, I've talked to people who know about the "discussions" (and I use that word hesitantly) with the upgrade, and trust me, the people who are playing nice are not the little companies.