: Buying Music in Canada: non-iTMS

monokitty
Oct 22nd, 2009, 08:19 PM
Where else do people buy single hit tracks in Canada when you aren't including the iTMS? I prefer the iTMS, but apparently iTMS takes forever and then some to actually add the latest hits by some of my favourite artists. To which I'm really not interested in waiting in line for.

Other sources?

fjnmusic
Oct 22nd, 2009, 08:29 PM
How about stores that sell CD's? Just a thought.

monokitty
Oct 22nd, 2009, 08:31 PM
How about stores that sell CD's? Just a thought.

Just looking for single tracks, not albums.

chas_m
Oct 23rd, 2009, 02:27 AM
I actually do second fjnmusic's suggestion of supporting your local indie or used CD store -- you can get some great bargains that aren't a whole lot more than buying "just the good songs" from a given album.

I was shocked to discover (in trying to answer this question) that Rhapsody doesn't work in Canada. I personally don't think any of the online stores hold a candle to iTMS, but all the ones I checked out are either gone or don't work up here! Shocking!

I believe you CAN install the US Amazon MP3 buying software and thus buy songs from Amazon US, but that seems to be about it as far as I can see ...

digitddog
Oct 23rd, 2009, 11:00 AM
I believe you CAN install the US Amazon MP3 buying software and thus buy songs from Amazon US, but that seems to be about it as far as I can see ...

No luck with me. I installed the Amazon MP3 downloader when Amazon launched their music store. I was able to buy one album of music. But shortly thereafter, I started to get "this service not offered in your area" types of messages. I'm not sure if it's linked to my credit card or what.

dingbat
Oct 23rd, 2009, 01:30 PM
Downloading Music in Canada (http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~rakerman/digimusic.html)

chas_m
Oct 24th, 2009, 02:29 AM
Downloading Music in Canada (http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~rakerman/digimusic.html)

That, sir, is insanely handy. Thanks for the link!

AgentXXL
Oct 24th, 2009, 04:29 AM
Downloading Music in Canada (http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~rakerman/digimusic.html)A big +1 - thanks! :D

johnnydee
Oct 29th, 2009, 07:42 AM
So if you sign up with say emusic and download mp3's from them you can convert them and add to your itunes library without any sort of DRM restrictions?

John

gordguide
Oct 29th, 2009, 10:01 AM
iTunes plays mp3s (and a bunch of other formats). No conversion necessary, assuming that whatever you're buying really are mp3s.

Macified
Oct 29th, 2009, 10:48 AM
So if you sign up with say emusic and download mp3's from them you can convert them and add to your itunes library without any sort of DRM restrictions?

John

the emusic downloader automatically loads into launches iTunes. No conversion needed.

EvanPitts
Oct 29th, 2009, 11:08 AM
iTunes plays mp3s (and a bunch of other formats). No conversion necessary, assuming that whatever you're buying really are mp3s.
One may need one of the DRM removal tools that are widely available, and the ones for the Mac work fine...

Chealion
Oct 29th, 2009, 11:53 AM
One may need one of the DRM removal tools that are widely available, and the ones for the Mac work fine...

A true MP3 doesn't have support for DRM. Hence why all DRM'd music has been sold as either a Windows Media Audio file or AAC (part of MPEG-4) - file formats that do have support for some kind of DRM mechanism. (Support and always having it are two very different things).

screature
Oct 29th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Napster is great and you can buy from it in Canada. BUT.... it is Windows only.

I run it in XP through VMware Fusion. Personally I like it better than the iTunes store for music because you can also buy a subscription ($15/mnth) and you can download as much as your bandwidth limit with your ISP will allow. :D Also you can use it as a "radio station" and listen to other members and your own playlists as well as ones created by Napster based on musical genres. Also when you are a member you can listen to the whole song or any part of it before downloading.

rampancy_fatalin.
Oct 29th, 2009, 03:51 PM
They may not necessarily be the latest hit singles, but there's plenty of good stuff on CDBaby and Magnatune, both of which offers a lot of good options for downloading, and in the case of CDBaby, you can redownload your purchases as many times as you like.

For hit indie artists, their respective record labels also may have online stores; I'm thinking of labels like SubPop and 4AD, who actually are host to some pretty well-known groups like The Shins, Iron and Wine, The Mountain Goats, and Flight of the Conchords; for 4AD and SubPop, I've purchased and downloaded music from them with no problem.