: iPhone users switching to Blackberry?!?

imMACulate Heart
Oct 22nd, 2009, 07:42 PM
Hi Folks,

Been hearing some strange things lately about people with iPhones switching back to Blackberries, not only business associates, but also bloggers on major outlets (see Leaving the iPhone to go back in time (http://www.open.salon.com/blog/jess_d_facts/2009/10/21/leaving_the_iphone_to_go_back_in_time) and My evil iPhone (http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2009/08/24/hate_my_iphone/index.html)). What gives? :confused:

I ask because I am currently using an ancient wireless Samsung relic from before iPhone's introduction, and am more than ready to upgrade. Am incredibly tempted by the iPhone, but do not have $$$ to burn if there are problems with the current generation. Anyone with experience with both technologies (Apple and RIM's) care to share their thoughts?

Also, wrt iPhone, which plan/carrier is best, now that Rogers is no longer the only game in town? I am an occasional voice user, preferring IM and e-mail. Also like web browsing and Facebook. Suggestions?

chas_m
Oct 23rd, 2009, 02:46 AM
Been hearing some strange things lately

Yes you have. I don't think I would lend these stories much creedence -- they are often planted by "astroturf" bloggers who are receiving compensation without alerting you (thus the recent change in the law regarding this).

You yourself could be one such person, for example (just theoretically).

I'm sure some people DO switch back -- the Blackberry (apart from the original Storm, which is utter crap) models do have some advantages for certain kinds of people, particularly VERY email-centred businesspeople. I don't think you'll find very many people who can credibly say the BB (any model) is a better ALL-AROUND phone than the iPhone. But it's no sweat when customers have needs the iPhone can't handle.

Am incredibly tempted by the iPhone, but do not have $$$ to burn if there are problems with the current generation.

There aren't any "problems" with this or any other generation of the iPhone that is out of the ordinary with other mass-produced products. Anytime you have products that are manufactured in the millions, a small percentage are going to have issues. This is just as true of BBs as iPhones, or cars or can openers.

Apple is the TOP rated support company in the electronics business, bar none. Your odds with them are actually LOWER than with any other phone competitor, and your chances of getting satisfactory results if there IS a problem are higher than anyone else in the business.

Also, wrt iPhone, which plan/carrier is best, now that Rogers is no longer the only game in town?

As of today, Rogers/Fido still IS the only game in town. You'll have to wait like everyone else for Belus (Bell and Telus) to announce their plans and rates. As I said in a different thread, my perception generally regarding Canadian cell phone companies is that they ALL suck more or less equally in different but broadly overlapping areas. Again, independent analysis shows Canada getting less value than most western countries when it comes to cell phones, though (ironically) the iPhone is really starting to change that.

I've been on PAYGO with Fido for two years for my original US iPhone. No complaints apart from price. YMWV.

I am an occasional voice user, preferring IM and e-mail. Also like web browsing and Facebook. Suggestions?

Your habits will likely change based on which phone you choose, particularly if you get a generous data plan. I would definitely say the iPhone has greater potential to change the way you use your phone (and computer) than a BB.

PS. One deciding factor it may come down to is whether you can deal with a "soft" keyboard. I struggled on my iPhone for a couple of weeks until I learned to "let go and use the force" as an Apple friend advised. What he meant was to stop trying to correct it as you type and just keep typing, because the iPhone would auto-correct based on context. He was right, and since then I've been able to type on the iPhone very quickly, even composing long messages.

For people who are coming to the iPhone from a phone with a lilliputian keyboard, this can be a challenge for a little while, and I've met alpha-types (always extremely impatient, anger-issues boss types, you know the sort) who fought the soft keyboard every step of the way, so I thought I should mention it. :)

Mckitrick
Oct 23rd, 2009, 08:27 AM
I moved from BlackBerry to iPhone. There are strengths and weaknesses in both camps.

I, for one always use the analogy of the pickup and the sports car. The BlackBerry being the pickup and the iPhone the sports car. If you're doing a lot of work (i.e. email) then the BlackBerry tends to be the better solution due to instant email delivery, BlackBerry messenger, responsive hardware, better Radio performance, etc.

If you're using the device as an all-around phone, the iPhone is way more versatile. The browser is much much much (how many much's can I put in here) better than BlackBerry's browser. The applications are more impressive and user-friendly/eye candy and people generally find the iPhone "cooler" than any BlackBerry. The downside is that unless you're using MobileMe, email is not instant (up to 15m delay), the hardware can be very slow (unless you're running the 3GS - I for one have the 3G and don't want to lock into rogers for another 3 years to get a 3GS), and I've personally found the RF performance to be less than ideal. This may be due to the fact that Apple leverages TTPCOM where as RIM writes all of their own radio code and they've got some very good talent in their radio group.

As for people leaving iPhone to BlackBerry? I suppose it's possible but I'd imagine that people are moving back and forth on a pretty much 1 to 1 ratio.

So to go back to my original analogy - you wouldn't pick up lumber in a sports car, and you probably wouldn't want to go on a nice scenic drive in a pickup (apologies to the 2 or 3 country boys on the forum).

Let me finish off by saying that since leaving my BlackBerry behind, I'm living a much more "human" life. Sometimes getting emails right away isn't the best thing - even in a hardcore business enviro. It can be amazing how many things work themselves out if you just give them a minute or two.

HowEver
Oct 23rd, 2009, 10:42 AM
The interweb is a big place.

I'm sure if you looked, there would be people leaving cell phones to go back to using tin cans tied together with strings. Lots of them. And it wouldn't even be necessary for the tin can people to plant or fund these stories. People do this stuff, and write about it, all of their own.

In any case, that's my string theory.

G-Mo
Oct 23rd, 2009, 11:07 AM
[T]he Blackberry (apart from the original Bold, which is utter crap) models do have some advantages for certain kinds of people, particularly VERY email-centred businesspeople.

I think you may mean the original Storm here. The original Bold is still an excellent phone.

chas_m
Oct 23rd, 2009, 11:41 AM
I think you may mean the original Storm here. The original Bold is still an excellent phone.

I did indeed mean the Storm, thank you for the correction. I'll edit the original post.

RunTheWorldOnMac
Oct 23rd, 2009, 12:03 PM
What you are hearing is P R O P A G A N D A :D

polywog
Oct 23rd, 2009, 02:58 PM
I've owned both, went from Blackberry to the iPhone 3GS. Obviously as a Mac owner and Mobile Me users there were tons of advantages to the move. But other than that, here's some of the things that convinced me the move was good, and some things I miss:

1) Syncing nightmares. It was rare to go more than a few syncs without errors, dropped contacts, dropped appointments. This was with Pocket Mac and Missing Sync.

2) Pointless Reboots. Update a theme, reboot the phone. Update and App, reboot the phone. On its own that's bad, but when you consider the boot time, it's unacceptable.

3) Memory leaks from hell. Which require even more reboots.

4) Gunked up track balls. Can be a pain! :)

5) Version nightmare. They currently have 4.5, 4.6 AND 4.7 devices out. Not all apps work with all OS Versions. Not all carriers have the same revision out.

There are things I miss, too:

1) Profiles. For everything. Custom ringtones for any event. Exceedingly handy.

2) Integrated message box. Very handy once you've used it. All messages (email, sms, facebook etc.) are visible in one location.

3) Still no tasks on the iPhone. What a sad oversight. Plus, you can't manage invites to calendar entries if you have a mobile me account, but you CAN through exchange?

4) Keyboard was nice at times. Shortcut keys were great time savers.

5) Battery Life was incredible. Being able to change batteries even better!

milhaus
Oct 23rd, 2009, 08:02 PM
I'm sorry, but RIM is f%$#ed. Apple on the one end. Android on the other. Even Windows Mobile 7 in the wings. Some seriously cool touchscreen phones from HTC, Samsung, Motorola.
Nothing from the RIM camp in response. Storm 2? Yeah, 2 years behind. Have you used that browser? What a joke. RIM, wake up soon, or you're screwed.

Ashtangi
Oct 24th, 2009, 10:26 AM
I'm sorry, but RIM is f%$#ed. Apple on the one end. Android on the other. Even Windows Mobile 7 in the wings. Some seriously cool touchscreen phones from HTC, Samsung, Motorola.
Nothing from the RIM camp in response. Storm 2? Yeah, 2 years behind. Have you used that browser? What a joke. RIM, wake up soon, or you're screwed.

RIM recently acquired Torch Mobile, developers of the "Iris" WebKit-based browser. It seems obvious that this will be fast-tracked for the BlackBerry platform.

RIM also recently acquired Dash Navigation (see: Dash: The Only Internet Connected Automotive GPS - Drive Smart! (http://www.dash.net/)) - the highly-regarded creators of the Dash Express. Again, fairly clear that this will be integrated onto the BlackBerry platform in the near future.

And to be fair, the Storm2 is a huge improvement over the original Storm.

RIM doesn't need to "wake up soon" as you suggest - they're already wide awake.

Trevor...
Oct 24th, 2009, 12:46 PM
I know a number of people who have switched from the iPhone to a QWERTY device of one sort of another just because they couldn't deal with the touch screen.

Oct 26th, 2009, 02:25 PM

Yeah, as a consumer phone they still have a ways to go (getting better all the time, apparently OS 5 is super fast). The browser isn't as bad as everyone says, it renders OK, with the biggest problem being the speed (why 3G is not nearly as important on a Blackberry). However as a corporate device nothing comes close the BB yet.. ask any company who still uses Lotus notes (and there are many still)...

I actually think the Storm2 looks pretty good (feature/usability wise), seems they fixed most of the problems from the firsT...

EvanPitts
Oct 26th, 2009, 02:34 PM
I actually think the Storm2 looks pretty good (feature/usability wise), seems they fixed most of the problems from the firsT...

Yeah, because they already recalled thousands of them for various defects just last week!

I think the jury is still out. Crackberries have the edge with corporates, while the iPhone lacks a few basics, like enough storage space and the option for some kind of keyboard. Both are nixed by the fact we have the most grossly overpriced, underpowered, and retrograde cellular system in the world...

Oct 26th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Yeah, because they already recalled thousands of them for various defects just last week!

I think the jury is still out. Crackberries have the edge with corporates, while the iPhone lacks a few basics, like enough storage space and the option for some kind of keyboard. Both are nixed by the fact we have the most grossly overpriced, underpowered, and retrograde cellular system in the world...

They recalled thousands of phones that aren't even out yet?? how does that work.. Also I meant design, manufacturing defects are another thing all together...

The Canadian cellular system isn't as bad as everyone says, at least relative to the US. I mean go read what some people have to say about AT&T, I've had issues with Rogers/Fido but nothing like that (dropped calls, not being able to make calls in urban areas). As well if you look at the latest date fees, $30 CAN for 6gb of data vs. $30US for "unlimited data" with a 5gb cap and no tethering... Doesn't sound soo bad..

imMACulate Heart
Nov 10th, 2009, 08:31 PM
I'm still on the fence, alas. I would be willing to dismiss the media reports as so much "astroturfing" if I had not heard the same from some business colleagues (switching back to BB). Part of it seems to be an demographic thing: the boomers prefer BB, but the millenials are all about the iPhone. As a GenXer, I am between both worlds.

Overall, iPhone enthusiasts are big on MobileMe, the number of apps, etc. BB fans talk about battery life, compatibility with enterprise apps (calendar, mail), etc. Some of the BB boosters go the rah-rah Canada route, but patriotism is not an issue for me.

One of the relevant factors involved has to do with the carrier. Rogers has a service called Talk Spot, to which I wanted to subscribe (I have their high-speed and a wireless router at home). Unfortunately, iPhone ($199) is not TalkSpot compatible, but the BB Curve 8900 is ($199). The question I must answer is, would I derive more value from a MobileMe subscription, or from Talk Spot?

So I am going to wait to see what Bell and Telus have to offer to iPhone subscribers before I make a decision. Hopefully, they will announce their plans soon...