: True hands-free for iPhone 3GS

sharkus
Oct 20th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Hello all,
Forgive me if this has been discussed before. Anyone living in Ontario is aware that come the 26th, it's hands-free only.

I've got an iPhone 3GS, and I am wondering what options are open to me for true and full hands-free calling, both outgoing and incoming.

I've seen devices like the Parrot MKi9000, which allow you to say "accept" or "reject" when a call comes in, plus you can voice dial, and it's this type of functionality I'd like, but I don't really want to start hacking up the interior of my car to fit various wires and such like. I know there are harnesses that fit between the head-unit in the car and the parrot, thus no soldering is required. I'm wondering if anyone has an iPhone 3GS and a Parrot system and could tell me how well it works and it if it really is worth the expense.

A BT headset seems like it might be a possible solution, but how do they deal with the "accept" / "reject" deal when a call comes in, from what I've read it would seem you have to press something on the headset to accept the call, not exactly totally hands free. What about voice dialing, do they just use the built in Voice Control option of OS 3.1? Again, one assumes you need to press something to initiate this, and therefore, again, not totally hands free.

Any suggestions or advice are greatly appreciated.

Sniper4u
Oct 21st, 2009, 11:30 PM
As far I know of the new law it means what it says. You cannot hold a device in your hands. You can get a vent holder to place your device. It must be fixed to the vehicle. I think this has a broad meaning such as suction cups and clips. You can connect it directly to your audio input of your radio if you have a line in and hear it over your speakers. You can use the speaker function of the phone if you can't do that. You can use any type of headphones, wired or bluetooth as long as you don't actually hold the phone in your hand to make or answer a call. You can press the buttons on the phone or the headsets to make or answer calls if it is in a fixed position. Voice dialing over bluetooth does work by holding the button of the headset until you hear the tone. It's not very good though. I think a vent holder and a bluetooth headset is the best option. It is for me. We are all waiting to see how they actually police the law and what the courts will find to be hands free . From what I hear you cannot have the phone laying between your lap or lose like in your pocket. It must be in a fixed position.

sharkus
Oct 22nd, 2009, 09:00 AM
Well I've got a vent holder and aux in connection for the phone already, as I used the same setup with my iPod before getting the iPhone.

I think a headset might be the best answer for me, saves wiring something in, plus, if needed, I can walk around with it too.

The question then is, which headset, time for some research!

Thanks for the reply.

G-Mo
Oct 22nd, 2009, 09:57 AM
I use the headphones that came with the iPhone... They qualify as handsfree!

sharkus
Oct 22nd, 2009, 10:03 AM
I use the headphones that came with the iPhone... They qualify as handsfree!

This is true, but my iphone sits in a cradle on the dash and the headphone lead would get in the way whilst driving, perhaps not whilst going in a straight line, but elsewhere, where you need to turn corners and such like, it'd certainly get in the way. Also, the iPhone is connected to my car stereo via the headphone socket, so I'd need to use a splitter.
There is also the fact that I don't really want to wear headphones in the car, one hanging out of the ear looks a bit odd, but wearing a pair of headphones would look very odd indeed and I'm not completely sure if that would be considered a distraction as less outside noise would penetrate than if you were simply listening through the car speakers.

Sniper4u
Oct 22nd, 2009, 06:00 PM
I use the Plantronics 855. Good sound and won't blow out your ears. Also very adaptable for stereo or mono use. It is a little pricey.

Canada Computers - Phones & Communication > Bluetooth Headsets : Plantronics Voyager 855 Stereo Bluetooth Headset. (http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=023445&cid=TEL.566)

This one is also getting some good reviews it looks like.

https://www.ehmac.ca/ipod-itunes-iphone-apple-tv/81171-iphone-bluetooth-jaybird-headphones.html

Not sure about whether if you have the phone in your pocket and are using hands free is ok. I hear it's not ok but according to the legislation it is. Still if you want to use the gps and maps you will need a holder no matter what.

switch
Oct 22nd, 2009, 07:53 PM
I personally use a jawbone bt earpiece on a 3gs. It's compatible with the voice control feature of 3.1 and love it. Yeah, I have to press the earpiece to initiate voice control, but I like the flexibility of calling out the numbers and to using contact names. Not having to deal with wires is a plus.

ldphoto
Oct 22nd, 2009, 08:02 PM
I use the Plantronics 855. Good sound and won't blow out your ears. Also very adaptable for stereo or mono use. It is a little pricey.

Can the 855 play back music from the iPhone via BT? That would be quite a plus for me when I'm not in the car.

Luc

MomentsofSanity
Oct 22nd, 2009, 09:01 PM
This is true, but my iphone sits in a cradle on the dash and the headphone lead would get in the way whilst driving, perhaps not whilst going in a straight line, but elsewhere, where you need to turn corners and such like, it'd certainly get in the way. Also, the iPhone is connected to my car stereo via the headphone socket, so I'd need to use a splitter.
There is also the fact that I don't really want to wear headphones in the car, one hanging out of the ear looks a bit odd, but wearing a pair of headphones would look very odd indeed and I'm not completely sure if that would be considered a distraction as less outside noise would penetrate than if you were simply listening through the car speakers.

That and the fact it's been illegal to wear headphones while driving for years should also make you not want to wear them.

kloan
Oct 22nd, 2009, 09:21 PM
What about the bluetooth speakerphone, BlueAnt Supertooth 3?

Clips to your visor, it verbally annouces who's calling, and you can answer simply by saying "OK". Sells for $75-85 online.

YouTube - BlueAnt Wireless - Supertooth 3 Bluetooth Handsfree (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u308OnVGhUo&feature=player_embedded)

G-Mo
Oct 22nd, 2009, 09:33 PM
That and the fact it's been illegal to wear headphones while driving for years should also make you not want to wear them.

Actually, it bans "listening" to headphones while driving... and doesn't cover the type used for cellphones!

Sniper4u
Oct 24th, 2009, 12:01 AM
Can the 855 play back music from the iPhone via BT? That would be quite a plus for me when I'm not in the car.

Luc

Yes the A2DP works fine in stereo now. They sound alot better than those other cheaper bluetooth stereo headphones.

Sniper4u
Oct 24th, 2009, 12:05 AM
Actually, it bans "listening" to headphones while driving... and doesn't cover the type used for cellphones!

Listening to music in stereo headphones while driving is against the law. You are not allowed to block external sounds in case of emergency vehicles. Using headphones for phone calls while driving is not against the law as it does not block out external sounds. Plus the 855 has the ability to seperate itself and use only one ear bud by itself if you feel that it could be an issue.

AgentXXL
Oct 24th, 2009, 05:02 AM
What about the bluetooth speakerphone, BlueAnt Supertooth 3?I have the Contour Designs SurfaceSound Compact (actually made by BlueTrek). It was compared to the BlueAnt Supertooth 3 by iLounge:

Review: BlueAnt Wireless Supertooth 3 Bluetooth Handsfree | iLounge (http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/blueant-wireless-supertooth-3-bluetooth-handsfree/)

While the Supertooth 3 appears to do the job and offers a few extras like the text-to-speech capability, the reviewer did think the SurfaceSound had better audio in both incoming and outgoing. I did have some problems with my SurfaceSound and the iPhone 3G, but my new iPhone 3GS appears to have a stronger Bluetooth connection. It sounds better to me and my callers when using the 3GS.

The brick and mortar Apple Store in Calgary carries the SurfaceSound Compact in stock as well. :)

HowEver
Oct 24th, 2009, 07:55 AM
Amazon.com has the Plantronics Voyager 855 for $31.49 US right now, and they do ship to Canada.

Amazon.com: Plantronics Voyager 855 Bluetooth Headset (Black): Cell Phones & Service (http://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-Voyager-855-Bluetooth-Headset/dp/B000UBNFT2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=wireless&qid=1256381558&sr=8-1)

Fantastic deal. I bought these off eBay from a Canadian Plantronics reseller nearly a year ago for 3 times that. Unfortunately the 2nd side (not the main unit) stopped working. Fortunately, Plantronics Canada is honouring the warranty and shipping me a new unit.

Oh, and you would never use both sides while driving, or listen to music while driving. These are great for stereo at other times.

Canada Computers - Phones & Communication > Bluetooth Headsets : Plantronics Voyager 855 Stereo Bluetooth Headset. (http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=023445&cid=TEL.566)

This one is also getting some good reviews it looks like.

https://www.ehmac.ca/ipod-itunes-iphone-apple-tv/81171-iphone-bluetooth-jaybird-headphones.html

Not sure about whether if you have the phone in your pocket and are using hands free is ok. I hear it's not ok but according to the legislation it is. Still if you want to use the gps and maps you will need a holder no matter what.