: 2nd Generation 20 GB Ipod- Brand New

Veej
Oct 19th, 2009, 04:47 PM
BNIB 2nd Generation 20 GB IpodLINK (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ipod_2G.png)

Yep that right! I just picked it up yesterday, from a guy who had misplaced it 6 years ago and just found it, all new and shiny never used, with box and everything, the only thing missing are the ear plugs, except for that everything is there...(case, bag, remote, cable, charger)

Now when he gave it to me I charged it up and everything worked except itunes could not recognize it, and I read about some people with recent Classic ipods who have iTunes 09 and Snow Leopard having the same problem, and that's what I got.

So I made an appointment this afternoon with the Genius bar @ Eaton Centre to see if they could help on this.

They had a laugh looking at the ipod and by the looks of it they new it was brand new also...

So we try have it recognized by itunes but the same problem, it loades up in Finder and we can see and modify the files in there like a removable HD, but itunes wont recognize it..so one of the guys tells the chick to boot it up in Tiger with itunes 8.

So she does that and we see it in itunes 8 and then she loads a song in to see if it will accept and it does but when she disconnects it we lose the ipod....now only the apple comes up and an icon with an exclamation mark, we hook it back and try a restore but still nothing..and do a manuall reset on the ipod but nothing still, she said some employee in their store is carrying around a 2gen 10 GB model and maybe he'll be able to help cause I may need iTunes 3 to restore the firmware, he wasn't in today.

So she's booked my in to see this guy for Thursday and see if he can help me out.

I'm not really looking into using this ipod, and even if I can't load a song on it I just want it back to where it was, when I could scroll on it and go into menus and stuff, now I'm kicking my self, shoud've just recharged it and left in the box, just got curious to see if it would work with today's machines.....:(

In the meantime does anyone have any ideas here that I can try..?

Or just in-case this dude can't help me out can someone help me boot this back up , can someone who has an old MAC running itunes 3,4 or an older OSX help me boot this back up?

I'd really appreciate getting this baby back up..

Veej
Oct 20th, 2009, 11:07 AM
C'mon guys 50 views and no help....whats the world coming to....

monokitty
Oct 20th, 2009, 11:39 AM
C'mon guys 50 views and no help....whats the world coming to....

Wait for your Thursday appointment..?

chas_m
Oct 20th, 2009, 11:58 AM
After six years, I should think the hard drive is actually (not just figuratively) RUSTY.

Good luck getting it to work, but I predict it will fail again shortly thereafter. It's an interesting curio but impractical as an actual working unit.

The G3 Man
Oct 20th, 2009, 12:01 PM
I PM'ed ya!

HowEver
Oct 20th, 2009, 12:06 PM
After I bought an iPhone 3G in July 2008, I sold my fourth gen 20GB iPod, which was working perfectly after about 4 years, was in excellent condition, and still got 10+ hours on a charge on its original battery.

Who knows? Even without a new battery, this iPod might work just fine.

Store staff shouldn't scoff at it. I assume that most Apple service reps still fix really old Macs as well, subject to parts. What *are* the oldest parts Apple techs can still order?

Veej
Oct 20th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Store staff shouldn't scoff at it. I assume that most Apple service reps still fix really old Macs as well, subject to parts. What *are* the oldest parts Apple techs can still order?

What I actually meant by they had a laugh, was that they were amused that this unit was brand new, my fault on the way it's was written, but truly being that it's brand new and therefore in great shape its awesome to see and hold one of these and just realize that like 7 years ago this was the greatest and best Mp3 player out there, and how fast we move on to new things...and change...give another 7 years today's 3G will look like a fat dinosaur.

I'm not planning on using it I just want it back to the point it was yesterday morning with the right firmware on it, so I can scroll through the menus and that's it.

The G3 Man
Oct 21st, 2009, 10:25 PM
Veej Should have some news for you! :D

Veej
Oct 21st, 2009, 10:52 PM
Veej Should have some news for you! :D

The G3 Man ROCKS!!!!

After even the so called geniuses at the Eaton Centre Apple store did not have a clue...(well usually they don't but I put some faith into them),,,,this man helped me out over the phone walked me through finding iTunes 2, then the ancient ipod updater and then extracting it from under a ton of folders where it was hiding....and then POW...update the ipod and now even............(DRUM ROLLS) itunes 9 recognizes the 2nd Gen ipod and updates songs on it and plays....the one song I put on it is New Soul by Yael Naim, that's the only one I'm gonna put on it and leave and pack her away again....;) everything is now silent and peaceful in my kingdom.....:D.

Once again this guy ROCKS he is truly an Honorable ehmac Memeber who came to the help of a fellow stuck in the sea.....guys like this show me the world is still an awesome place and especially the world of ehMac.ca

Here's to you dude:clap::clap::clap::clap:

The G3 Man
Oct 21st, 2009, 11:53 PM
:):):):):):)
Thanks VeeJ!

Thats what i do, i help. Its my roll on this earth.

Morgan

chas_m
Oct 22nd, 2009, 02:31 AM
Thanks VeeJ!

I add my heartfelt "attaboy" to the G3 Man even as I pedantically point out that it's "role" not "roll."

Darn spell checkers and their homonym vulnerabilities ... :)

Mckitrick
Oct 22nd, 2009, 08:02 AM
Thanks VeeJ!

Morgan

:clap::clap::clap:
There's something oddly satisfying about getting old hardware running. Then of course there's the grim realization that you really don't know what to do with it. Since it's in such new condition, maybe you can ship it to the Smithsonian? Probably not old enough. Hmmm.... feels like I'm going in circles...

chas_m
Oct 22nd, 2009, 08:37 AM
Since it's in such new condition, maybe you can ship it to the Smithsonian? Probably not old enough. Hmmm.... feels like I'm going in circles...

No, the Smithsonian people are pretty forward-looking, they might well be interested since it's cosmetically flawless and essentially New In Box.

KC4
Oct 22nd, 2009, 05:19 PM
I add my heartfelt "attaboy" to the G3 Man even as I pedantically point out that it's "role" not "roll."

Darn spell checkers and their homonym vulnerabilities ... :)

Veej says the G3 Man Rocks... obviously he ROLLS too! :D

Way to go Morgan! :clap::clap:

Veej
Oct 22nd, 2009, 08:57 PM
No, the Smithsonian people are pretty forward-looking, they might well be interested since it's cosmetically flawless and essentially New In Box.

Yep maybe I'll sell it to them for some ridiculous price like $5000:rolleyes:, who knows once on ebay a G4 Box sold for $500...an empty box..the price is set on how much its worth to the individual collector.

BTW I'm now looking for a U2 Ipod now preferably with the box and in top notch quality.