: Ipod touch questions

Cbot
Oct 17th, 2009, 04:11 PM
It's been a while since I came to this forum(around 2006) I got a question for my fellow canadian apple fans

1-How is web browsing? Can I read pdf? Can I open zip files?

2-Can I use it as a remplacement for my laptop?

3-Can we download torrents on it?

4-I saw some programs that looks like photoshop. Is there a program that will let me color drawings that I scan via a scanner?

monokitty
Oct 17th, 2009, 04:24 PM
1- Web browsing is fine (Safari). You can read PDF's; not sure if you need a third-party app for it.
2- No (well, maybe, but an iPod Touch/iPhone really aren't computer replacements)
3- Yes (iPhone gets native P2P torrent software (http://www.tuaw.com/2008/03/02/iphone-gets-native-p2p-torrent-software/).) Limited to Wi-Fi on an iPod Touch obviously.
4- No idea

TheEvilDonut
Oct 17th, 2009, 04:25 PM
It's been a while since I came to this forum(around 2006) I got a question for my fellow canadian apple fans

4-I saw some programs that looks like photoshop. Is there a program that will let me color drawings that I scan via a scanner?
I just registered here but I have been using an iPod Touch ever since its release. Just bought a brand new 3G.

1. Web browsing is top notch. You actually have a TRUE web browser at your disposal (Safari). Very fast and easy to use. You can zoom in on certain portions of the page depending on how it is formatted. I can't comment on the PDF and ZIP things though.

2. I would definately not use this as a laptop replacement. In fact I really don't see how it could replace a full-fledge laptop.

3. I haven't tried it but apparently it can be done : How to download torrents on iPod Touch (http://www.hackipodtouch.com/how-to-download-torrents-on-ipod-touch/)

4. Not sure what you mean.

Cbot
Oct 17th, 2009, 04:27 PM
I found the article today and it was really interesting.

Review: Three Weeks With The iPhone As My Primary Computer -- iPhone -- InformationWeek (http://www.informationweek.com/news/mobility/messaging/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=202401450&pgno=1&queryText=&isPrev=)

TheEvilDonut
Oct 17th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Interested read indeed friend. Just remember that the iPhone is always connected so you can use Safari pretty much everywhere while you have to find a hotspot to browse the web with an iPod Touch.

daniels
Oct 17th, 2009, 05:28 PM
1. Web browsing is awesome, does the same thing that a computer does
2. No this cannot be a replacement for your laptop, you cannot go on sites that need flash player on the ipod touch.
3. Yes there is a torrent download for it
4. Depends what kind of a printer you have, if your printer has bluetooth then it will work.

chas_m
Oct 17th, 2009, 09:49 PM

Not sure where you are, but chances are there is an Apple dealer (or electronics store that sells them, or a friend who has one) so you can see for yourself. Web browsing is fine (with the exception of Flash, no loss there). PDFs can be opened, zip files cannot. Word, Powerpoint, Excel, Pages, Numbers and Keynote files can also be opened IIRC.

Depends on what you use a laptop for. For email, web surfing, social web (Facebook, Twitter et al), playing music, playing media, playing games and taking pictures, yeah -- you probably could. For much beyond that, the touch works best as a complement to your laptop so that you don't have to lug the laptop around ALL the time. But for doing any serious work on your part, you'll still need/want a laptop.

It's possible but kinda pointless IMO. You don't have a whole lot of room to store files, you risk incurring hellacious data charges if you're not on wifi, drains the battery etc. Seems very much like the wrong tool for the job to me.

You want to pay $350 for a colouring book? :)

Although Photoshop itself (of a sort) and many other bitmap/photo retouching/enhancing programs are available for the iPod Touch, I haven't seen anything so far that doesn't suck eggs compared to one minute of "real" Photoshop (or even PS Elements for that matter). I don't know of anything that does quite what you're describing.

Think of the iPod Touch as an entertainment device (music, videos, games, podcasts) that can also do web surfing and email. Your best friend in a coffeeshop or when killing some time at the doctor's office, but nothing like a laptop replacement. More like an internet pacifier. :)

GregoriusM
Oct 17th, 2009, 11:57 PM
It's much more than just a web browser and game machine.

It is a fantastic PDA. It just happens to play songs, apps, internet, social networking, yada yada yada.

I love having my Calendar, Address Book, Contacts, ToDos (separate app), Email, Weather, Notes, Wikipedia, News appps, iTunes remote, Utilities for conversions, eBook Reader (yes, I do actually enjoy reading books on it even for an hour or two at a time) etc. and numerous other apps that I use weekly for news, how-tos, movie places and times, etc.

And games. Great for a quick game and they are quite good for saying you're playing on a 3.5" screen and having gobs of fun. Pull it out of your pocket and enjoy for 5 minutes or 60. (Yes, Bejeweled is addicting. Also Scrabble and others connect with the same games on Facebook. Cool.)

So, although Apple is promoting it as the Game machine (or so they say they are), it is actually a very, very versatile little "gadget".

And yes, I even have DocsToGo on it and do do some touch-ups on documents on the touch, and have a few spreadsheets for simple stuff.

Laptop replacement? No. The touch can't do everything a laptop can do, but there are things the touch can do that a laptop can't, unless you've got HUGE pockets! ;)

Greg

Cbot
Oct 18th, 2009, 01:52 PM
I may get one next year since now I got no money for the moment. I might use it as a remplacement for my laptop because I only use my laptop for web surfing, collecting pictures, music, and to color some drawings on photoshop. I rarely use my laptop for serious stuff.

Cbot
Mar 21st, 2010, 02:19 PM
Thank you all for your answers.