: Buying iPhone 3G 16GB?

daniels
Oct 15th, 2009, 05:05 PM
I'm looking for an iphone 3G and today on eBay came across this one Apple iPhone 3G 16GB WHITE MINT SHAPE-PRICE LOW TO SELL on eBay.ca (item 110446080658 end time 20-Oct-09 10:13:35 EDT) (http://cgi.ebay.ca/Apple-iPhone-3G-16GB-WHITE-MINT-SHAPE-PRICE-LOW-TO-SELL_W0QQitemZ110446080658QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCell_ Phones?hash=item19b7197292&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14)

The only problem is the grayed out wifi, could this be a firmware issue? or is the wifi chip damaged? If you were me would you buy this? I am going to jailbreak/unlock it then buy a rogers pay as you go sim card and use it that way. I appreciate all your answers/ advice :D

monokitty
Oct 15th, 2009, 05:37 PM
I wouldn't buy a damaged iPhone, even if the damaged part is a feature you'll never use.

i-rui
Oct 15th, 2009, 06:00 PM
that's not even that good of a price on a working iphone 3g.... why would anyone pay that for one with broken wifi?

daniels
Oct 15th, 2009, 07:14 PM
how much is the maximum you would spend on an iphone 3G 16Gb?

whatiwant
Oct 15th, 2009, 07:46 PM
i dont believe there's an unlock for the baseband which comes with the official 3.1.2 firmware.
so unless the user was using pwnage tool to update his phone up until now, there really isnt any point in buying it,

that and the "wifi" firmware issue he's talking about *coughBScough*

dona83
Oct 15th, 2009, 08:00 PM
$330?

Pass.

Farmer Harv
Oct 15th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Best advice I can think of is to Run Away!

I can almost guarantee that you won't find a good deal on an iPhone anywhere at present. Not eBay, craigslist, kiijiji or anywhere else...there is simply too much demand. If you want an unlocked phone find the Canadian sellers on eBay with the best feedback rating and purchase (at a premium) a brand new unit with 3.0.1 firmware from one of them.

I would Not recommend purchasing from anywhere else, nor anything used, and definitely nothing that isn't 100%. Always remember that if a deal is too good to be true, it isn't a deal, it's a ripoff.

If you don't need it unlocked then I'd only buy new from a retailer. There is simply too much to lose financially by taking chances with a used unit and/or online classifieds/auctions.

HowEver
Oct 15th, 2009, 08:25 PM
There have been many, many, many satisfied sellers and buyers who have used ehMac's own classifieds. While it's good to be careful, the post above goes way too far.

Supply seems to be tight now, but things change. I sold my 3G when the 3GS came out. Had I waited a few weeks, the price might have gone up by $100+. And then it could have gone down again.

But no matter what there is out there, there are still deals to be had.

That said, I think it's a bit silly to get the iPhone without a data plan. And you may think you'll save on pay as you go with no data or regular monthly fee, but the hassle of avoiding and staying off data hardly seems worth it. Some people are better off getting the Rogers discount on a phone they'll have for 3 years anyways--or 10 or 20. You can upgrade after a year or two depending on how the policy wavers.

Farmer Harv
Oct 15th, 2009, 08:58 PM
There have been many, many, many satisfied sellers and buyers who have used ehMac's own classifieds. While it's good to be careful, the post above goes way too far.

Ah, poor choice of words on my part, as I was referring to the large online classifieds like craigslist, kiijiji etc. Small forum buy/sell sections are totally different as there is generally more of a "community" looking out for each other, and with far fewer potential victims there is little incentive for a scammer to bother setting up shop.

Caveat emptor in any case, especially with expensive electronics.

daniels
Oct 15th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone! I'm going to keep an eye out on eBay for new iphone 3G's if i don't find anything by the end of this month I'm going to buy the 32GB ipod touch 3rd gen

daniels
Oct 16th, 2009, 09:42 PM
I've bidded on this iphone looks great! Apple iPhone 3G 16GB Black?Very Good Condition on eBay.ca (item 220494807513 end time 18-Oct-09 20:27:03 EDT) (http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220494807513&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT) what do you guys think?

HowEver
Oct 16th, 2009, 10:38 PM
I've bidded on this iphone looks great! Apple iPhone 3G 16GB Black?Very Good Condition on eBay.ca (item 220494807513 end time 18-Oct-09 20:27:03 EDT) (http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220494807513&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT) what do you guys think?

Well, since you asked...

The condition is "very good." It isn't excellent, or mint. It could get to you in good condition, it could be scratched to heck.

The seller has only 1 feedback. If they mail you a brick, the bad feedback you leave them won't hurt much since they could abandon the account in a heartbeat.

Do you know how to unlock an iPhone? This phone is locked to AT&T.

$325 + $60 shipping (the Question "how much to ship to Canada?" is answered with a minimal amount which the seller doesn't have to adhere to, and which probably won't provide tracking.... so count on $60). That's US$. You'll find it cheaper in Canada, and be able to inspect one in person to see what the condition is.

The warranty offered by Square Trade is completely implausible.

If you do make a purchase like this one, pay by PayPal from a credit card account not a bank account.

It's not a wise purchase. I could go on...

mrfoofoo
Oct 17th, 2009, 01:35 AM
I agree with the above poster, find one on craiglists in your local area so you can inspect it in person. The person that is selling your phone on ebay only as 1 feedback rating. I'd be wary. Why don't you buy one from a retailer and get a contract?. The pay as you go especially for an Iphone I think will be a pain because you'll be refilling it constantly. Just my 2 cents.

But as always do what you want.

daniels
Oct 17th, 2009, 12:53 PM
found a better one and cheaper it has 4 months of apple care left, the phone has absoloutly no scrathes on the screen or the back. And seller has sold 1224 items and has 100% positive feedback. What do u guys think? Apple iPhone 16 GB 3G (Black) Used - eBay (item 120481554500 end time Oct-19-09 18:06:48 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120481554500&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT)

HowEver
Oct 17th, 2009, 02:51 PM
The condition of that phone is "used." It says *nothing* in the auction about scratches or how well it works. The AppleCare on a US iPhone may not work in Canada, and the phone will be locked to a US carrier. You don't know yet what the final cost will be except that the buy it now exceeds a local price. And if it comes to you damaged, what will you do?

I have a lot of eBay buying experience; nothing against it per se; just that these iPhone auctions are risky.

At this point I'm thinking about the horse/water adage.

found a better one and cheaper it has 4 months of apple care left, the phone has absoloutly no scrathes on the screen or the back. And seller has sold 1224 items and has 100% positive feedback. What do u guys think? Apple iPhone 16 GB 3G (Black) Used - eBay (item 120481554500 end time Oct-19-09 18:06:48 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120481554500&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT)

daniels
Oct 17th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Ok, this is my final decision wait to see if telus or bell offer the iphone 3G S without a data plan or get the new ipod touch 3G 32GB.