: eMac Slow performance with flash web apps

Chimpur
Oct 15th, 2009, 12:34 PM
I have an eMac 1.25 GHz with an 80GB hard drive and 512MB ram. I was wondering if its normal for a computer of this age to really bog don when running flash animations. Its not so bad if its a banner or such, but it really crawls with flash apps such as facebook apps like farmville etc. I want to upgrade the emac to 2GB ram sooner or later, but having prof that an upgrade would help flash performance would help persuade my fiance.

Also what type of ram would i need? i heard that pc2700 is what i need, but that pc3200 would work as well.

CanadaRAM
Oct 15th, 2009, 12:38 PM
PC2700 is what is specced, you can use PC3200 if the RAM's SPD settings are correctly written. Get a compatibility guarantee from the seller.

Adding RAM will help, but the 1.25 GHz G4 will never be a speed demon. I finally replaced my G4 Mini with an Intel Mini because of slow browser performance.

Chimpur
Oct 15th, 2009, 12:46 PM
My whole reason for getting this mac about 6 months ago was to get my fiance off my Macbook. But with shoddy browser performance she doesn't use it all that often. I don't have much money so upgrading the ram is all I could afford at this time. Well that or sell it and then use that money to get something better. What would the minimum machine for smooth web browsing be?

makuribu
Oct 15th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Flash just plain sucks. It sucks the life out of your computer.

A G3 iMac would be enough for everyday tasks except that so many web pages are full of crap Flash animations. Flash blockers are your friend.

If you need to use Flash (I have two kids who like the web games on Treehouse and NickJR's sites), you pretty much have to go up to an Intel Mac.

I have a 2007 MacBook 2.0GHz which has pretty limited Intel graphics, but it has the horsepower to make Dora chase across the screen at an acceptable frame rate.

But man, I hate Flash...

eMacMan
Oct 15th, 2009, 01:45 PM

+1
My old eMac is quite adequate for everything I throw at it including a lot of work in PS Elements but as for Flash...:eek::eek::eek:

Chimpur
Oct 15th, 2009, 02:19 PM
I see an old quicksilver for sale for $70. I could over time upgrade it to a better graphics card and possibly a new cpu card. I don't know if that' be better. The eMac also has some faulty caps.

I've posted before about the Capacitors. I might try and go into the Square 1 Apple Store and see if the can do anything.

Reveeen
Oct 16th, 2009, 10:40 AM
I run an old G4 PowerMac with a 1.5ghz upgrade processor, 2g of ram, and a hacked Nvidia 6200. Flash stuff runs just fine here, in fact, limiting what I have running in the background allows me to do H264 720 video.

teknokracy
Oct 17th, 2009, 02:18 AM
I assume you are running 10.4, if so disable the Dashboard - it can suck up a lot of your memory. Using Firefox helps too, but like everyone else is saying, It's limited by your CPU and overall system power.

The bus speed on the eMac is only 333 so there won't be much benefit to going with PC3200. You can get Kingston modules for $40 a piece on NCIX - well worth the upgrade.

CanadaRAM
Oct 17th, 2009, 03:07 AM
A Quicksilver G4 won't give you much if any boost over a G4 iMac 1.25 -- for one thing the Quicksilver has a slower bus and RAM. Upgrading video cards in a G4 won't help Flash and is generally too expensive to be worth it.

Niteshooter
Oct 17th, 2009, 10:45 AM
I have an eMac 1.25 GHz with an 80GB hard drive and 512MB ram. I was wondering if its normal for a computer of this age to really bog don when running flash animations. Its not so bad if its a banner or such, but it really crawls with flash apps such as facebook apps like farmville etc. I want to upgrade the emac to 2GB ram sooner or later, but having prof that an upgrade would help flash performance would help persuade my fiance.

Also what type of ram would i need? i heard that pc2700 is what i need, but that pc3200 would work as well.

I have the same eMac as you, I would keep an eye on the caps as they supposedly have a tendency to fail. But Apple did have a recall (now expired) on the motherboards....

My eMac has 2GB of PC3200 memory, the AData brand from Canada Computers and a 320 GB hard drive. I play Fairyland on Facebook and it runs fine. The wife plays farmville so I'll get her to log on with the eMac and see if it bogs.

I do notice some bogging down when streaming video but I figured that might be just my internet connection.

One other thought, your GF may always feel that the eMac is slow and substandard even though you fix the main issues with a memory upgrade, once she gets it in her head.... I see this with my wife some times.... ;)

Kevin

EvanPitts
Oct 17th, 2009, 11:26 AM

A G3 iMac would be enough for everyday tasks except that so many web pages are full of crap Flash animations. Flash blockers are your friend.

If you need to use Flash (I have two kids who like the web games on Treehouse and NickJR's sites), you pretty much have to go up to an Intel Mac.

I have a 2007 MacBook 2.0GHz which has pretty limited Intel graphics, but it has the horsepower to make Dora chase across the screen at an acceptable frame rate.

But man, I hate Flash...
+1

I suggest using FlashBlock on FireFox, and if you want to play games, buy a Wii, Playstation or XBox 360.

It doesn't matter what machine - you could have a giant fiber optic running directly from the server right into some kind of massively parallel mainframe - and Flash will still suck...

Chimpur
Oct 17th, 2009, 03:56 PM
I was thinking that because the capacitors are faulty that could also hamper the speed of the flash games. I've had to delete the ati graphics drivers so that the system won't lock up.

Also, even though the recall is expired, do any of you think that it's worth going to an Apple Store to see if they'll help?

Niteshooter
Oct 17th, 2009, 04:46 PM
I was thinking that because the capacitors are faulty that could also hamper the speed of the flash games. I've had to delete the ati graphics drivers so that the system won't lock up.

Also, even though the recall is expired, do any of you think that it's worth going to an Apple Store to see if they'll help?

So your caps are bulging and the eMac is locking up? Hmmm in that case I would not go any further until you see if it can be fixed. If not then I'd say you might be done.

Well, all they can say is no.... and I find if you are polite but gently persistent you could win. Since they did do a free repair you can show there is some precedence to your claim even though they will point out that this goodwill gesture is now expired.

But I suspect it may have to be escalated up to a manager in order to win if at all...

Kevin

Chimpur
Oct 17th, 2009, 04:58 PM
I might try and go this Wednesday to get it looked at Square One

Niteshooter
Oct 18th, 2009, 12:05 AM
Good luck!

Try reading these threads just to arm yourself with a bit of knowledge before heading out...

Apple - Support - Discussions - eMac bad capacitors ... (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1698675&tstart=0)

Apple - Support - Discussions - Bad capacitors ... (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=8484129&#8484129)

K

EvanPitts
Oct 18th, 2009, 10:04 AM
I don't think that Flash is slower because of bulging capacitors - it just appears that the machine is FUBAR. I would not run a machine in such a state, you can end up with a lot of extreme damage caused by bad voltage regulation and dropouts, which is probably working to frag any kind of performance out of the system.

rgray
Oct 18th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Also, any FUARed electrical bits present a fire risk!

Place an ad in the Personals: Wanted: new fiance. Must have newish Intel Mac. Enclose picture of Mac.

:lmao:

Chimpur
Oct 18th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the links! And besides i think I may inherit an Intel iMac someday soon.

Chimpur
Oct 22nd, 2009, 04:22 PM
So I guess now I'm totally out of luck with my eMac. They seem to be unsupported now.

Orion
Oct 23rd, 2009, 01:12 PM
Don't give up on it if you want to keep it. Apple is required to repair faulty hardware for the life of the machine (as defined by Canadian law, not Apple).

It is possible, however, that the amount of pushing you will have to do to get it fixed would be better spent finding a newer, faster Mac. :)

Regarding the Flash issue: Even a working G4 eMac or tower is going to have issues with Flash. The more RAM and faster the CPU the less noticeable it will be, but I have yet to see a G4 running Flash flawlessly.

irontree
Oct 24th, 2009, 05:04 AM
Don't bother upgrading the ram to get better Flash performance... the speed increase isn't much.
My kids have a 1.25ghz G4 iMac with 1.25gb of ram (10.4 Tiger) and all their Nick Jr. stuff runs like crap. Facebook games like Farmville and Rollercoaster Kingdom are extremely slow and painful to use. It's even pretty slow on our Intel Mac Mini (1.5ghz Core Solo with 1.25gb ram)

makuribu
Oct 24th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Flash games on NickJR (and Treehouse) pretty much don't work on anything less than an Intel Mac for me. Even the PB G4 1.5 GHz stumbles.

The only thing worse than Flash is the 3DVIA plugin that NickJR uses for some of their games. It fails to run on any Mac browser I've tried, and crashes Opera completely. It does run on IE8 and Firefox when I BootCamp into Windows 7.

Don't bother upgrading the ram to get better Flash performance... the speed increase isn't much.
My kids have a 1.25ghz G4 iMac with 1.25gb of ram (10.4 Tiger) and all their Nick Jr. stuff runs like crap. Facebook games like Farmville and Rollercoaster Kingdom are extremely slow and painful to use. It's even pretty slow on our Intel Mac Mini (1.5ghz Core Solo with 1.25gb ram)

Chimpur
Oct 24th, 2009, 05:17 PM
So he general consenus here s that flash is very demanding, and wont run smooth;y on anything but the current generation hardware, if that. I.e. Macbook Core Duo 2GHZ

EvanPitts
Oct 25th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Yes - and Flash is dopey to start with, poorly designed, poorly conceived, with some of the worst programming practices this side of Redmond. In fact, I don't even think Redmond could do a worse job, and though .NET is crazy nasty compared to Java - at least the stuff in it is superior to the slop Adobe shovels into Flash. Of course, ShockWave is worse than Flash, but then, Adobe jumped the shark when they started embedding movies into PDF files. Nobody does Bloat quite the way Adobe does, nobody!

mgmitchell
Oct 25th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Interesting Flash discussions. In the past few hours, I keep getting an error message on my MacBook (bought May/07), saying that the Flash plug-in is quitting time after time. Weird. Not doing anything out of the ordinary. Just surfing some sports sites for NFL scores (ESPN, Yahoo).
Michael.

EvanPitts
Oct 25th, 2009, 05:18 PM
^^^
Yep, sounds like Flash is working "as designed"... beejacon

Reveeen
Oct 26th, 2009, 05:04 AM
I've had to delete the ati graphics drivers so that the system won't lock up.

Without video drivers you are getting 0 (none) video acceleration "in hardware" (not that a ATI video chip is outstanding, but at least it's something). Without video processing removed, or mostly removed, from your system processor, anything remotely video intensive is going to "fall over" in this system.

Flash player system requirements:

Adobe - Flash Player 10: System requirements (http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/systemreqs/)

Chimpur
Oct 26th, 2009, 07:10 AM
Well I can still check email, browse most of the net, use it as a print server, download and store files and do word processing. So its still quite useful.

Now I'm trying to get Sheep shaver to work on it. Cant find this elusive Mac OS ROM.

Reveeen
Oct 26th, 2009, 10:28 AM
The Official SheepShaver Home Page (http://sheepshaver.cebix.net/)

IceWewe
Nov 17th, 2009, 09:24 PM
The caps are NOT hard to replace on an eMac. I've done it on several myself. The worst part is getting the eMac apart to replace them, once it's apart, it's almost like cutting room-temperature butter it's so easy!

If your soldering skills are semi-decent, see if you can get an old PC motherboard to practice soldering capacitors off of. If you can do it, then give it a shot on your eMac. IIRC they are 6.3V 1800uF caps, fairly common on PC motherboards if you're feeling really cheap and just want to nab them off another motherboard.

I also have a 1.25Ghz eMac with 1.5GB. It doesn't exactly chew through flash, but it does a decent job. But if it's got swelling caps, no point in putting more money into it, your days are numbered.

Still a good little machine though.