: iPhone App Unlocks And Starts Car

SINC
Oct 15th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Who needs a key? IPhone app unlocks and starts car - USATODAY.com (http://www.usatoday.com/tech/products/2009-10-12-iphone-app-unlocks-car_N.htm)

monokitty
Oct 15th, 2009, 11:13 AM
That is awesome! :D Not really worth [my money] at $499, but awesome nonetheless. I wonder if it works with manual transmission cars? (You'd have to leave the car in neutral after you park it, obviously.)

Adrian.
Oct 15th, 2009, 11:16 AM
$499 is a crazy price. I guess you need to look at the price of normal car starters though...

People have too much money and too little brains.

bsenka
Oct 15th, 2009, 11:23 AM
That is awesome! :D Not really worth [my money] at $499, but awesome nonetheless. I wonder if it works with manual transmission cars? (You'd have to leave the car in neutral after you park it, obviously.)

That's not just for the app, you get their command start unit too. Still a little pricey, but just crazy cool enough that people will pay it.

monokitty
Oct 15th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Remote starters for most cars are at least $350 (often times more, plus installation), so $499 isn't way out in left field, price wise.

G-Mo
Oct 15th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Remote starters for most cars are at least $350 (often times more, plus installation), so $499 isn't way out in left field, price wise.

$350 for a car starter? Are you crazy?? You can pick up a ProStart unit at this tine of the year for $60-80... (way less in April!)

dona83
Oct 15th, 2009, 07:38 PM

Remote starters should have a safety switch where the engine is not allowed to turn on unless the car is in neutral. The guy at Future Shop said their Compustar units and a few others have that feature.