: Mail will not start after Time Machine restore

ldphoto
Oct 12th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Hello,

I wanted to change the RAID array on my Mac Pro, so I made I sure I had an up-to-date time machine backup, re-aranged the RAID and restored back onto it. It worked OK, booted back up fine. But Mail will not start. I get the following error message:

"You have Mail version 4.0 (1075/1076). It can't be used on Mac OS X Version 10.6.1 (Build 10B504). For more information, click the Help button."

How would I recover from this? It's not like I can just download the latest Mail.app from somewhere... I'm not concerned about the actual mail, because it's all IMP on MobileMe, I just want to get it working...

Luc

mikef
Oct 12th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Are you starting Mail.app from the dock? Try going into the Applications folder and starting it from there.

I've noticed that sometimes, instead of a link being created in the dock, it's an actual copy of the application. When the application is updated in the Applications folder, it is not updated in the dock.

ldphoto
Oct 12th, 2009, 10:57 AM
I get the same result from the dock as well as from the Applications window.

Luc

jamesB
Oct 12th, 2009, 11:11 AM
You could use Pacifist (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/6812/pacifist) to reinstall the Mail App from your install Disk, or you could try downloading and running the "Combo" updater for the version of OS X you are using from the Apple website.
Either of these suggestions should fix your Mail problem.

ldphoto
Oct 12th, 2009, 11:34 AM
I ended up copying the mail.app from my Macbook Pro. works fine now, but still a weird problem nevertheless.