: Gmail in AppleMail - this should be damn easy, no?

MacAndy
Oct 4th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Hi,

Setting up a friend's refurbished PowerBook to read his gmail account, have checked all back posts on ehmac.ca and gone through Google's online help, yet still not able to set it up.

I see some places suggesting IMAP, others POP, I have tried both, either doesn't really matter for this user.

I've been through all of this...

Apple Mail 2.0 - Gmail Help (http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=77663)

Can't even set up the account without it warning that the username and password have failed - I have these memorized so this is certainly not the case here. I even reset the password via web log-in to ensure it wasn't originally SNAFU.

Has anyone gone through this recently and can offer assistance?

Thanks.

i4detail
Oct 5th, 2009, 12:39 AM
Hi,

Can't even set up the account without it warning that the username and password have failed - I have these memorized so this is certainly not the case here. I even reset the password via web log-in to ensure it wasn't originally SNAFU.

Has anyone gone through this recently and can offer assistance?

Thanks.

The most obvious solution is that the username is not foo, it is [email protected], so let's eliminate that option first. Go to your account info, and make sure your username is set correctly.

EvanPitts
Oct 5th, 2009, 07:28 AM
I've had it working entirely well for years. POPMail is the easiest to set up, and is perfect if they are just using one machine to read mail with; while IMAP is more for reading mail on multiple machines. Either will work.

You should follow the instruction closely, since the settings will have to be absolutely correct. If it still isn't working, perhaps the machine has a firewall set too high, so you will have to open some of the ports so email is not blocked. This is as easy as clicking on the appropriate checkbox in the Sharing preference in System Preferences.

MacAndy
Oct 5th, 2009, 08:45 AM
Hi,

Thanks, but I have followed everything to a "T" and yes, the username is spelled out completely. I have tried both IMAP and POP, checked all of the settings, still won't let me get past the Incoming Server Screen.

There is nothing wrong with the username and/or password as I am also logged in via Safari and I created this account for this person to begin with. I even updated the password just to be sure I hadn't gotten anything backwards.

I have configured quit literally hundreds of email accounts on Macs of all kinds, both IMAP and POP, with much less hassle than this.

Looking for someone who has encountered a similar problem recently in case google has changed something that isn't that obvious.

Thanks.

G-Mo
Oct 5th, 2009, 09:31 AM
This may be too obvious, but, have you enabled POP/IMAP in Gmail's user settings?

hdh607
Oct 5th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Have you set up the same account successfully using Mail 2.0 on another Mac?

MacAndy
Oct 5th, 2009, 10:14 AM
This may be too obvious, but, have you enabled POP/IMAP in Gmail's user settings?

These are activated, still not able to set up an e-mail account in Mac Mail.

Thanks for trying!

MacAndy
Oct 5th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Have you set up the same account successfully using Mail 2.0 on another Mac?

Did just try that - same issue.

Thanks for trying!

hdh607
Oct 5th, 2009, 10:32 AM
How about re-installing the OS?

G-Mo
Oct 5th, 2009, 10:40 AM
These are activated, still not able to set up an e-mail account in Mac Mail.

Thanks for trying!

Ah... sorry! I've got 8 or 9 Gmail accounts setup in Mail 3.x and Mail 4.x with no probs...

I don't have any Tiger installs kicking around anymore to try it out with 2.0...

G-Mo
Oct 5th, 2009, 10:42 AM

If it's not working on multiple machines, it would suggest the issue is not the machine, so, it's probably a bit hasty to start re-installing the OS (IMHO!)...

hdh607
Oct 5th, 2009, 11:19 AM
If it's not working on multiple machines, it would suggest the issue is not the machine, so, it's probably a bit hasty to start re-installing the OS (IMHO!)...

G-Mo is right - if it's not working on multiple machines, it's not an OS problem.

I just set up my gmail account (IMAP) on my extra MacBook running 10.4.11

Forgive me if you've been suggested this before:

do a software update - my Tiger is running Mail 2.1.3 (753.1)
When you are doing the account setup, in the General Information window you type in your email address, but in the next window the default for User Name is just the user name, you need to re-type [username]@gmail.com
Incoming Mail Server is imap.gmail.com [not mail.gmail.com]
Outgoing Mail Server is smtp.gmail.com
Try setting up another test Gmail account and setting it up in Mail

GL

MacAndy
Oct 5th, 2009, 12:27 PM

This *is* actually a completely fresh install and one of the first things I was attempting to set up.

There is no firewall in place so it's not that.

Real head-scratcher.

i4detail
Oct 5th, 2009, 12:31 PM
NExt question: Can you get Mail to work with any email accounts other than Gmail? If so, can you get it to work with any other Gmail accounts?

MacAndy
Oct 5th, 2009, 03:01 PM
I have set up my own account in Mac Mail on this PowerBook without problem.

Looks like the gmail account is FUBAR and there's nothing that can be done about it.

Will have to pick another username and start all over again.

i4detail
Oct 5th, 2009, 03:18 PM
...and can you get other computers to access the account? Or from a different connection? You could send me the username and password (changed to something impersonal) and I can see if I can log in from here. I'm not on 2, but at least you're eliminating options.

And setting up a different Gmail account and testing it is a good troubleshooting step....

MacAndy
Oct 5th, 2009, 03:32 PM
I have set up a second, different e-mail address - not the one as he wanted originally so that's disappointing - but it *is* working now.

So, it would appear the original e-mail address... ben*lastname*[email protected] was FUBAR from the start.

It was nothing to do with the set up process, everything went smoothly with the second one.

Thanks.

DrewNL
Oct 5th, 2009, 03:40 PM
This is so confusing it doesn't compute for me that the gmail account would be messed up. How could it be messed up? So strange.

MacAndy
Oct 5th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Well, it was, that's why I asked on here if anyone had experienced the same problem because it's a fairly straight-forward process and I've done this countless times, this is the first time I've experienced this with gmail. Only other problems I've had in the past is when someone gives me the wrong info to get them set up - can't help 'em with that!! Thanks.

HowEver
Oct 5th, 2009, 04:25 PM

Did you try *removing* the POP/IMAP settings in GMail, and then activating them again?

mkolesa
Oct 5th, 2009, 05:38 PM
not sure if you've already done it but i would delete the account, quit mail, re-launch, and then re-create the account... it seems to me that toggling between mail options don't always overwrite prior settings and it may take a new go to have the different settings 'take'

MacAndy
Oct 5th, 2009, 07:57 PM
I had posted earlier on this... I had to create a completely separate gmail account and it is now working, thanks.