: iPhone hand-me-down

iheartmac
Oct 2nd, 2009, 11:54 AM
A friend of mine got an iPhone 3G from his brother after he had upgraded to the 3Gs. Now he's back from visiting his brother and we've realized the old 3G wasn't wiped before he left so it still has all his brother's contacts and photos etc. We can just hook up to iTunes and do a restore on his PC, right? It's not jailbroken or anything and it's not going to be.

The other thing I guess is to phone Rogers and tell them to block data. Is it true they have a $10 for 10mb plan? Although that plan is highway robbery it's all he could afford if he wanted a bit of "data cushion".

Last thing: Contacts from Razr to iPhone- I've done some googling and it seems the best way to transfer these is using Motorola Phone Tools? He doesn't use Outlook WAB or anything but now maybe is the time to import that way? This is all on a PC and I understand it's easier to so this on a Mac. I have a MacBook Pro and maybe I could it as a middle ground for his contacts without messing up my contacts?

Too many question!? Insight to any or all of these would be appreciated.

G-Mo
Oct 2nd, 2009, 12:38 PM
A friend of mine got an iPhone 3G from his brother after he had upgraded to the 3Gs. Now he's back from visiting his brother and we've realized the old 3G wasn't wiped before he left so it still has all his brother's contacts and photos etc. We can just hook up to iTunes and do a restore on his PC, right? It's not jailbroken or anything and it's not going to be.

You can do it from the phone:
Settings -> General -> Reset -> Erase All Content and Settings

The other thing I guess is to phone Rogers and tell them to block data. Is it true they have a $10 for 10mb plan? Although that plan is highway robbery it's all he could afford if he wanted a bit of "data cushion".

Just have them block data... $10/10MB isn't worth it!

Last thing: Contacts from Razr to iPhone- I've done some googling and it seems the best way to transfer these is using Motorola Phone Tools? He doesn't use Outlook WAB or anything but now maybe is the time to import that way? This is all on a PC and I understand it's easier to so this on a Mac. I have a MacBook Pro and maybe I could it as a middle ground for his contacts without messing up my contacts?

Easiest way, IMHO, from the Razr copy all contacts to the SIM card and then copy them from the SIM to the iPhone here:
Settings -> Mail, Contacts, Calendars -> Import SIM Contacts

HowEver
Oct 2nd, 2009, 12:58 PM
The $10/10MB doesn't apply to the iPhone, which would eat 10MB by turning on.

Get a real data plan for slightly more $.

iheartmac
Oct 2nd, 2009, 01:04 PM
This is all super helpful. Thanks!