: Updating apps in iTunes

haber
Oct 1st, 2009, 05:08 PM
I'm stuck in an endless loop.

It's been a while since I downloaded all the free updates for my various apps. So now I have over 50.

1. Click Download All Free Updates

2. Receive message, "One or more of these items contains age-restricted material. Click OK to confirm that you are 17 or over. your content will then begin downloading immediately."
(BTW, it's a Blackjack game rated 12+ for 'intense simulated gambling.'

3. Clicked OK

4. Receive message, "The information on this page is outdated. Click OK to refresh the page. If you have available updates after refreshing, click Download All Free Updates."

5. Clicked OK. I'm still at the same number of apps left to update as before.

6. Clicked Download All Free Updates.

7. Receive message, "One or more of these items contains age-restricted....

:ptptptptp

I've tried F5 to theoretically refresh it myself. I've shut down iTunes and started it up again. I've gone to different screens in iTunes and come back to it.

I can download individual updates but each one takes about a minutes. I want to be able to walk away from my computer -- I don't want to spend an hour clicking all 50 of them individually.

haber
Oct 1st, 2009, 06:00 PM
I bit more info:

Using iTunes 9.0

I thought it was getting stuck in an endless loop as it bounced back and forth between two warning messages. But I found the age-restricted app (turned out it was a cocktail recipe app) and downloaded the update for it manually. Now I no longer get the first message but I still get the second error message and it still won't download.

Tried Googling "The information on this page is outdated" and "iTunes" together and got nothing.

cowasaki
Oct 1st, 2009, 06:02 PM
Not that this is any help but I always have the app updates logo displayed. I can never seem to get them all...ever. Kinda frustrating actually.

One thing to consider is if you use different accounts (perhaps a Canadian and an American). You need to log into your account and get the updates, then log into the other account and repeat the process.

Best of luck!

H

HowEver
Oct 2nd, 2009, 08:46 AM
haber, if downloading them one click at a time works, wouldn't that then be an efficient solution? I mean, it's not like your computer can't do other things and then every once in a while switch to iTunes and click one or a dozen apps to update, right?

haber
Oct 2nd, 2009, 09:31 AM
Ah ha! I did some more digging and finally found someone with a similar problem, except the error message was an Error 414. Apple must have added error handling for the problem in iTunes 9.0 so, lucky me, I was Googling for an error message thatís only been around for 3 weeks.

Anyway, in the previous case, the problem was that the person still had what they called Dance Dance Revolution 1 on their computer Ė and the app no longer existed in the App Store. Iím assuming they actually meant Tap Tap Revenge 1, and yes, that would be me. Their solution was to delete the app from their library and then they were able to download all the updates at once. Nooooo! I have a couple songs I love on TTR1 that arenít available on TTR2. I donít want to delete it.

Ah well, at least I have the solution to my problem, even if Iím not willing to use it.

haber, if downloading them one click at a time works, wouldn't that then be an efficient solution? I mean, it's not like your computer can't do other things and then every once in a while switch to iTunes and click one or a dozen apps to update, right?

That's what I'm going to have to do. If I could take the time to burn the 400 CDs we owned into the iTunes library in the first place, I can take the time to click update 50 times.

mguertin
Oct 2nd, 2009, 11:10 AM
What about downloading them on your iPhone/iPod? If you connect to wifi you can go into the app and then just hit the "update all" button at the top when it lists your available updates. After it's done sync to your computer and all the apps will get uploaded from the iPhone/iPod.