: iPhone Cant sleep at night :(.

Hsyn
Sep 30th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Okay so im flipping out, ima student and well im with fido with an iphone and they never warned me about data usage and last month they charged me like 15$ a day
So i was surprised because i ahd been using wifi and i downloaded alot of stuff (off a jailbroken iphone) and i forgot to pop out the sim, and im scared if it charges me for it
Additional information: iphone went into stand by and started again so im scared if data went through or if it was all on 3g or edge

can any1 tell me apps downloaded off a jailbroken iphone go under sent/recieved data?
And can any1 tell me how much an average mb of internet with fido canada is? Thanks.
My iphone says like 2.1 sent 1.3 recieved or viseversa (it hasent been reset so i dont noe actual amount) help me please! :(.
(Yes i did get rid of my iphone) i downloaded alot so im reall scared..
NO I DO NOT HAVE A DATA PLAN Sorry for caps. and yes tahts my fault but i bought it from a friend so i didn get a data plan cause i already had 1 and i was gonna get 1 :(.

Macified
Sep 30th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Why not save yourself some sleepless nights and give them a call. They can tell you what's happening with your bill almost to the minute. The bill will be what the bill will be. Call them and get it over with for sanity sake. Ask them if there is anything they can do for you in reducing any amount. They probably won't but it can't hurt to ask politely.

Good luck.

Hsyn
Sep 30th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Thanks but can any1 jus tell me if it goes under sent or recieved data? cause i downloaded huge apps :(.

Macified
Sep 30th, 2009, 10:04 PM
Received would be stuff you browsed and downloaded (apps). Sent would be sending the requests to browse and download. You get dinged for the total amount of data you move across their network. Add them together.

Hsyn
Sep 30th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Tysm but would u say that its EVERYTHING downloaded, like even jailbroken apps and vids and stuff like stuff off internet? sorry im bothering u jus really concerned :P.

Macified
Sep 30th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Tysm but would u say that its EVERYTHING downloaded, like even jailbroken apps and vids and stuff like stuff off internet? sorry im bothering u jus really concerned :P.

On my off-the-shelf iPhone 3Gs the data usage showing is only for cellular data (as in the stuff you get charged for). I don't think wifi data is tracked as it's irrelevant.

Hsyn
Sep 30th, 2009, 10:15 PM
ty and its jus 3g mann was soo happy when i bought it now i wish i never had it, i mean if i get charged for that stuff like i dont even noe if it counts it like im not sure if i will get charged or not :( and like 1mb is like 50$ right :(

Macified
Sep 30th, 2009, 10:22 PM
Call them and find out what's happening. Ask them to block data. My kids don't even have iPhones and I specify with Rogers that I will not pay for any data that makes it through. They block it or they pay for it. Never had a problem; even when I loan my old iPhone 3G to one of them and they put their own sim card in. They have access to the phone for calling and that's it. They can use wifi but have no data when out of wifi range.

chas_m
Sep 30th, 2009, 10:23 PM

The short answer is YES.

Data is data. The fact that your iPhone is jailbroken makes ZERO difference as to whether data is sent or received. What matters is whether the data was used on a Wi-fi network (no charge) or via the 3G (charged).

Everything you do that involves data when you are on the 3G (cellular) network counts as "data" for their billing purposes. EVERYTHING.

Anything you do that involves data when you are a wi-fi network does not count towards your "data" bill.

I hope that helps.

Hsyn
Sep 30th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Ty so ur telling me if im gonna get charged for internet its jus gonna be for the stuff under sent/recieved? TY GUYS U MADE MY DAY :) :D! Love u all! Love ehmac!

Mckitrick
Oct 1st, 2009, 03:52 AM
The short answer is YES.

Data is data. The fact that your iPhone is jailbroken makes ZERO difference as to whether data is sent or received. What matters is whether the data was used on a Wi-fi network (no charge) or via the 3G (charged).

Everything you do that involves data when you are on the 3G (cellular) network counts as "data" for their billing purposes. EVERYTHING.

Anything you do that involves data when you are a wi-fi network does not count towards your "data" bill.

I hope that helps.

Hsyn - Read that again. Anything, ANYTHING that came through the cell network will cost you money - Call Rogers like Macified said and put an end to the mystery.

HowEver
Oct 1st, 2009, 10:03 AM
Hsyn - Read that again. Anything, ANYTHING that came through the cell network will cost you money - Call Rogers like Macified said and put an end to the mystery.

Or... take the word of anonymous internet users and just wait for your next bill.

No, just make the phone call. Call from a landline, or from your cell *611 won't cost you anything.

Be prepared that if you surfed/downloaded using the 3G network and not wifi--oh, but you already know this.