: Free GPS with live traffic from Waze

DempsyMac
Sep 30th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Okay I just found this killer new app / service / social media product.

Waze is a social media GPS service. This is kinda like other GPS services out there except that they are relying on the community to build and maintain the map and data that is pushed up to the map. It is kinda hard to explain but they have done a great job in there demo video (http://www.waze.com/guided_tour/) and I am sold.

There is a catch kinda. Right now they only have a base map in the US and the iPhone app is not available in the CDN iTunes store, so I downloaded mine from the US store (we all have US accounts right? If not they have offered to send me the files to install with out using iTunes store).

So I have been using this for a week or so now and it works very well on my iPhone, the map editing on there web page could be easier but I think that for right now the key is to get driving with this app open so it can record the data, then once they get a base map in Canada (they are working on it) it should be much easier to get things rolling for real nav and traffic updates.

From what I can tell I am the only person in Edmonton using this right now but I am hoping to change that. In talking to them they have a group of people in Winnipeg as well as the GTA.

If you are interested in helping out let me know and lets use this thread to help each other with there map building and such, I think that this is a great idea but it needs users to really take off.

Adrian.
Sep 30th, 2009, 12:43 PM
If I drove to work I would help. But I walk, bike, rollerblade or take TTC to work.

HowEver
Sep 30th, 2009, 01:12 PM
If I drove to work I would help. But I walk, bike, rollerblade or take TTC to work.

There's an app for that.

Garry
Sep 30th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Gee, no one in Edmonton, Canada is using an app only available on the US Store. Guess that answers your question about everyone having a US iTunes account.

I watched the demo video and when it appears in the canadian store I might give it a try.

DempsyMac
Nov 18th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Thought that I would drop everyone a note to let you know that this is now available in the Canadian store.

Waze (http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/waze/id323229106?mt=8) (iTunes Store Link)

I was in Toronto last week and was pleased to see that there were a number of roads already recorded. If we as a community get together and just record as we drive we can get a lot of roads mapped out quickly.

monokitty
Nov 18th, 2009, 05:14 PM
I've added the app to my iPhone; I'll see how well it functions.

DempsyMac
Dec 22nd, 2009, 01:56 PM
I've added the app to my iPhone; I'll see how well it functions.

Lars what did you think?

g.c.87
Dec 23rd, 2009, 06:25 AM
This sounds amazing... I'm definitely going to use it.

Rukus
Dec 23rd, 2009, 03:16 PM
Well I downloaded it and "munched" a few new roads into it as they call it. I'm in Edmonton too BTW Trevor. I'll let you know what I think after I've played with it a little more.

DempsyMac
Dec 23rd, 2009, 03:25 PM
Well I downloaded it and "munched" a few new roads into it as they call it. I'm in Edmonton too BTW Trevor. I'll let you know what I think after I've played with it a little more.

Right on I think that will make you #4 from what I have seen in Edmonton.

It is great now that we are getting a few more people around here as we are getting roads done that I would have never done.

FYI I am DempsyMac on Waze so if you see me that who I am.

MikeyXX
Jan 8th, 2010, 08:10 AM
I couldn't download it either from CDN or US store. Said it was no longer available. Then tried again this morning and it worked. Weird.

MomentsofSanity
Jan 8th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Been using Waze now since this thread was first posted and I must say it's fun but has made my drives take suspiciously longer than normal! Gotta get those candy canes and snowflakes while you can! Not many of them around London...

Macified
Jan 8th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Sorry but I have too much to worry about while driving around town to take side streets and do the mapping work for any company. I want my GPS to give me information, not the other way around. Now, if they subsidized my data connection I might be more interested in spending some time hitting streets and uploading information for them.

I tried it on a couple of drives and it gave me nothing. If I get nothing from an app, it is pointless.

Just seems like an app for folks with nothing better to do. I'm not trying to offend, I just don't understand it well enough to see the point.

Garry
Jan 9th, 2010, 03:52 PM
Wow... what a waste of time this program is. First.. it doesn't tell me anything, I can't rely on it for directions, and from the looks of it, you're playing pac man.

it's just one big distraction and not very useful, imho

DempsyMac
Jan 11th, 2010, 04:15 PM
Wow... what a waste of time this program is. First.. it doesn't tell me anything, I can't rely on it for directions, and from the looks of it, you're playing pac man.

it's just one big distraction and not very useful, imho

I understand what you are saying but you do have to understand that it takes time to build the map.

I think that it is worth my time today to get great results in the future.

Davidb
Jan 15th, 2010, 03:23 AM
I'm also in edmonton and I'll give this a go for what it's worth. I don't do much driving but I'll make sure to record as many side streets when I go to the grocery store and other places.

Womprat
Jan 18th, 2010, 10:25 AM
I've been playing with it for a few days now, the user interface is a little non-intuitive especially trying to name the streets that I've added.

Will continue to map, neat app, but very battery draining.

sashmo
Jan 20th, 2010, 08:10 PM
I've downloaded this app. I'm from Hamilton and so far, there aren't any roads maps for this city.

DempsyMac
Jan 21st, 2010, 11:12 AM
I've downloaded this app. I'm from Hamilton and so far, there aren't any roads maps for this city.

Edmonton was the same for me but now there are lots of roads and more users coming on all the time, to be honest it is kinda fun to map out your own town.

DempsyMac
Feb 8th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Just thought I would let everyone know that Waze is about to add a base CDN map like they have in the US, this should be a big help to everyone.

Details here (http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=2443&p=17604#p17604)

dona83
Jun 9th, 2012, 01:55 AM
I also had the same initial impressions back then, it just didn't work well with routing and rerouting me.

I picked up a cheap Android phone for my business recently, it's been pretty good at routing me although I wondered how good it really was at routing me around trouble spots, although it would generally get me home in time, in about 55 minutes.

So I decided to give Waze another try to get me home. Left work at 5:34, Waze initially said I'd get home at 6:32, Waze routed me a completely different way than Android did, via Barnet Hwy instead of TransCanada and Lougheed. I was a bit skeptical at first but then I heard that there was an HOV lane check on the TransCanada which would've seriously slowed us down. Got us home at 6:27.

Routing back to work now shows that TransCanada is now the fastest way,

I'm quite impressed, Waze has improved quite a bit since a couple of years ago. Even rerouting if I take a slightly different course works a lot better, before Waze would demand I make a U Turn to turn onto the road it initially told me to turn on to, now it'll reroute like any other GPS system. It still asked me to go on one minor street, but I adjusted.