: Student's shot at the iPhone?

flooto
Sep 29th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Hey!
I'm really interested in the 16 GB iPhone 3Gs after having a chance to play around with the device and finding it really interesting to use.
Instead of purchasing a new iPod Touch, I'd like a device that'll take care of my both my phone and multimedia needs, and hence, the iPhone is a fairly good option at the moment.

To begin, I'm not a heavy phone user-- I've gotten by with $10/mo Fido prepaid for years. I do have a job; however, I'd still like to keep the money-blown-on-a-phone-plan-I-wont-use to a minimum especially as I get closer to beginning university next year.

Before I go to Fido and attempt at purchasing the device, I was wondering if I had all of my facts correct to ensure this process goes along smoothly (after reading so many horror stories re: Fido).

My hope is to purchase the phone on a 3 year contract, with a $20 dollar voice plan. That'll easily take care of my voice needs. Heck I'd be fine with the $15 plan, but I figure the free-nighttime is worth it.

Secondly, I'd like to request a data block and NOT purchase a data plan. I am aware that because of this, they'll be probably charging me around $150 more in you-didn't-buy-our-expensive-data-plan and you're-not-an-ideal-customer-to-us charges, but that'll be roughly $350 in total for the iPhone (minus any of the initial charges they'll nab me with) instead of paying 15-30 dollars a month extra for three years which is simply out of the question.

I just wanted to run this through others and see if what I wanted to do was possible. I simply cannot afford the data plan / pay the $700 for the device to go prepaid. I've tried to research this extensively, but there's just so much conflicting information! Thanks very much for your time-- it is really appreciated.

Snyp1
Sep 29th, 2009, 11:07 PM
If you go with Fido, you can choose from their lowest $15/month plan which offers 50 minutes and ask them to block the data. It should work :)

flooto
Sep 29th, 2009, 11:10 PM
If you go with Fido, you can choose from their lowest $15/month plan which offers 50 minutes and ask them to block the data. It should work :)

Would they allow me to get the plan without data though?
And they wouldn't be expecting me to pay some hidden, crazy amount for the full phone (since I'd be getting a lower plan that's not specific to iPhone and no data)-- right?

Thanks!

Macified
Sep 29th, 2009, 11:25 PM
Have you considered buying a used 3G. Buy a cheapy phone with a low cost voice plan and move the sim card from the new phone to the iPhone. Keep the other phone in a drawer as a backup in the event that your iPhone is damaged or if you are doing something potentially hazardous to your iPhone (ie. snowboarding, going to the beach, etc.).

This does require that you find a used FIDO phone though.

flooto
Sep 29th, 2009, 11:32 PM
Have you considered buying a used 3G. Buy a cheapy phone with a low cost voice plan and move the sim card from the new phone to the iPhone. Keep the other phone in a drawer as a backup in the event that your iPhone is damaged or if you are doing something potentially hazardous to your iPhone (ie. snowboarding, going to the beach, etc.).

This does require that you find a used FIDO phone though.

I have considered it, but I figured if I was going to shell money for some neat technology, might as well try to go for the newest device (unless there's not a chance of me getting the 3Gs without selling my body parts :lmao:).

I already have a Fido prepaid phone, so if required I COULD set up a plan and move it over to a used 3G iPhone (or maybe even keep it prepaid).

One thing that confuses me: after reading through some posts, it seems the cheapest plan is $15, which I could get anyway if I bought a new iPhone with a plan (so long as I could bypass the data plan).

Macified
Sep 30th, 2009, 12:06 AM
I have considered it, but I figured if I was going to shell money for some neat technology, might as well try to go for the newest device (unless there's not a chance of me getting the 3Gs without selling my body parts :lmao:).

I already have a Fido prepaid phone, so if required I COULD set up a plan and move it over to a used 3G iPhone (or maybe even keep it prepaid).

One thing that confuses me: after reading through some posts, it seems the cheapest plan is $15, which I could get anyway if I bought a new iPhone with a plan (so long as I could bypass the data plan).

It's bypassing the data plan that might be an issue. Has anyone here actually been able to purchase a 3Gs without a data plan? On either Fido or Rogers?

My sister just picked up 3 iPhone 3Gs (not 3Gs') on Rogers (about a month and a half ago) and was required to get data on all of them. The price of her plans is high because she didn't buy within the 6GB for $30 offer period.

flooto
Sep 30th, 2009, 12:49 AM
Ouch. That really kills the options.

I've read a few forum posts where consumers had pressure from the Fido salespeople, who really pitched the idea of buying the data plans (for 3G), though it was not necessary. I suppose rules are different for 3Gs.

One post on Yahoo! answers suggested it was possible for 3Gs to get cheap voice + no data, but with a $200 fee (no idea what that is regarding).

Maybe best bet is to go in and have a chat.
I appreciate the replies, thank you!

EndlessBliss
Sep 30th, 2009, 12:54 AM
I walked into the Apple store (with an appointment), and asked for a 16 GB 3GS on a $15 Fido monthly plan, 3-year contract, and no data plan. I requested that the data block be applied to my account, and there have been no problems with that until recently (see thread here (https://www.ehmac.ca/ipod-itunes-iphone-apple-tv/80062-iphone-data-block-not-working.html)).

I paid $399 for the phone ($199 base price + $200 extra for no data), + the $35 activation fee on the first bill. So yes, it can be done. :)

The Apple store salesperson tried to convince me to get the Touch, or a data plan, though. I didn't budge.

flooto
Sep 30th, 2009, 01:10 AM
I paid $399 for the phone ($199 base price + $200 extra for no data), + the $35 activation fee on the first bill. So yes, it can be done. :)

Fantastic! Thanks very much!
I'm going to sign up with an appointment over the weekend and see what happens. While the price is a bit steep initially, the savings for the lack of data plan will add up :greedy:.

monokitty
Sep 30th, 2009, 11:48 AM
I could never fathom owning an iPhone myself without a data plan. But that's just me.

flooto
Sep 30th, 2009, 02:48 PM
I could never fathom owning an iPhone myself without a data plan. But that's just me.

I'd personally love to have the data plan added, especially for the occasional e-mail checking, and IM while on the bus. But the problem is that the price of voice + data is just unreasonable for me... as I do want a new phone for the occasional calls I make plus the functionality of the iPod Touch (plus more!) in one device.

We'll see later if I really find the lack of data plan to be limiting, but for now dataless seems perfect.

bshell
Sep 30th, 2009, 05:19 PM
As you are an existing Fido customer, you should make a call to Fido Retentions. I'd been reading assorted online forums like these:
[Elect] Fido - Retention Plans - Page 99 - RedFlagDeals.com Forums (http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/showthread.php?t=376936&page=99)
HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - The Fido Loyalty Thread - All threads related to retention, loyalty, and winback!! (http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1558419&highlight=fido+retention)

In almost every case people were getting incredible deals on their cellphones, much better than what I have had for years, often paying nearly half what I was paying for more services. This is how the wireless phone system works in Canada. Prices are not as unreasonable as it appears at first. You simply have to bargain. But you must bargain hard.
The fido retentions line is a bit different and you have to start the conversation by saying, "I'm thinking of switching to Bell (or Telus or whatever)." Since you are already a customer, it's in their interests to make you an offer you can't refuse to keep you on their books. For instance, I got this amazing $17.50/mo plan with no System Access Fee, and with free nights/weekends starting at 5:00pm. Nice. They might offer you some kind of low cost minimal dataplan. You never know.

The number is: 1-866-279-3436. Call and stick to your guns. Be prepared to decline what they offer you and just call back the next day. You may have to call up to five times, but eventually you may get a really good deal. A lot of people have done this with success.

flooto
Sep 30th, 2009, 05:44 PM
As you are an existing Fido customer, you should make a call to Fido Retentions.

Interesting. While I myself am a bit of a pushover, I can probably practice and give this a shot. The only thing is that I am an existing customer through prepaid only-- I don't have some hotshot plan. Will they still be interested in keeping me or will my fuss go unanswered?

I did have a few questions-- would I be looking at doing this before I buy the iPhone through Apple? Or after in a few days/weeks/months after the basic purchase?

Thanks for that. I'll have a look at the links you posted!

bshell
Sep 30th, 2009, 05:49 PM
The fact that you are prepaid month to month is *THE MOST COMPELLING REASON* for them to *retain* you. You have take yourself out of your own personal view of the world and try to see the situation from Fido/Roger's point of view. The way it is now, you are like a fish nibbling on the hook. If they can get you signed onto a contract, THEN you are hooked. You are the most attractive fish out there to them. I predict they will make you a very nice offer. If they don't, then hang up and try again. There is high variability between customer service agents. I say, do it BEFORE you go to the Apple store. This is what I did. Make many calls. Negotiate a great deal with Fido reps. Then they will note this on your file. When you go to the Apple store, the agent there will see this note and when you get your phone it will be based on the deal you made *prior* to your visit to the Apple store.

HowEver
Sep 30th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Wait a sec.

He's on prepaid? As in, no contract?

Forget arguing with anybody about anything.

You get "new customer" pricing anyways.

He does not qualify for retention plans at all (for a few months). And he *wants* a three-year contract.

flooto
Sep 30th, 2009, 06:00 PM
The fact that you are prepaid month to month is *THE MOST COMPELLING REASON* for them to *retain* you.

Fantastic. Thanks a lot! You guys are proving to be a wicked bunch. Now, maybe it would be wise to get a pushy friend to do this for me, eh? :lmao:

The last piece of my problem is... well, maybe I'm a bit slow, but how would I threaten them to switch to Bell and hint at the iPhone? Bell doesn't exactly offer iPhone plans... Or is the general idea that I wish to change carriers unless they can give me an offer I cannot refuse, and the only way I'll shut up is if they'll offer me an iPhone type thing?

bshell
Sep 30th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Listen to "However". He's quite wise. Also, you simply threaten to go over to another carrier for their *smart phone*. It does not have to be iPhone.

Garry
Sep 30th, 2009, 06:05 PM

No, it isn't just you.. I can't imagine owning one without a data plan either.

HowEver
Sep 30th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Listen to "However". He's quite wise. Also, you simply threaten to go over to another carrier for their *smart phone*. It does not have to be iPhone.

Thanks, shucks...

But, um, no. People of prepaid can't "threaten" anything. They aren't cancelling contracts. They have prepaid for perhaps a month. They're *supposed* to be leaving soon. No leverage.

But also, no need to threaten. New customer pricing is fine.

Call and do the cancellation dance if you want, but the rationale that you're going to leave to another carrier makes no sense at all on pay as you go.

flooto
Sep 30th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Heh, I believe we were typing the responses at the same time, However.

Since I am ineligible (which seems logical-- I've always got the sense that carriers try not to push pay as you go so much and hence I'm an unfavorable customer), I guess the best option is to go with the phone through Apple, see how stuff works out and do the cancellation dance after a few months of the contract have gone forward (if at all)?

Has anyone managed a really cheapo data plan from Fido before? I mean 10 dollars or less ish?

HowEver
Sep 30th, 2009, 06:21 PM
You aren't likely to get a cheap data plan, although there are more options now than before.

But hey, call fido first and try to set something up for the iPhone. It can't hurt.

Heh, I believe we were typing the responses at the same time, However.

Since I am ineligible (which seems logical-- I've always got the sense that carriers try not to push pay as you go so much and hence I'm an unfavorable customer), I guess the best option is to go with the phone through Apple, see how stuff works out and do the cancellation dance after a few months of the contract have gone forward (if at all)?

Has anyone managed a really cheapo data plan from Fido before? I mean 10 dollars or less ish?

bshell
Sep 30th, 2009, 06:55 PM
I would only add that I was a pay as you go customer for a long long time, maybe 3 years, and then when I called to get a "deal" I *did* have some negotiating power. Basically, Fido does not want to lose any customers, pay-as-you-go or contract, whatever, it doesn't matter, you are still seen as a "regular" monthly cash flow source. If they can lock you into a contract, then they are better off. That is your *KEY* bargaining chip. Here's the wonderful nugget of gold you are offering them: "I will give you myself on contract instead of pay as you go." For Fido, this is a golden opportunity. In return you expect to get something nice from them. You will definitely get it. I got quite a good deal when I did this a couple years ago. For instance, you can ask for a super good phone plan. And you can possibly get a deal on a data plan. Good luck!! When I signed up they had a promotion package which included a bunch of stuff plus 12MB of data. Doesn't sound like much, but it was better than nothing for two years. I could get email several times a month, if I was careful, when not in WiFi hotspots. I dared not try web browsing though. That can eat up 12MB in a few seconds. I don't think they have that plan any more, but they may have something else. I definitely think you should call Fido first before going to Apple. It certainly cannot hurt. You have nothing to lose.

dona83
Sep 30th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Man for years and years I got by with a 10MB/$10 data plan on Rogers for about a year and I used web and Google Maps and e-mail quite a bit, never went over. Unfortunately they don't offer such plan anymore.

HowEver
Sep 30th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Man for years and years I got by with a 10MB/$10 data plan on Rogers for about a year and I used web and Google Maps and e-mail quite a bit, never went over. Unfortunately they don't offer such plan anymore.

They offered a $7 unlimited on-device browsing plan on some phones (still have it after they screwed up my $10-$5/10MB plan). I have it grandparented on one line. It's now $10/month, still unlimited, and allows for access to more than before. (There are reports that some have figured out how to get it working on iPhones...)

daniels
Sep 30th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Let me know if you get the iphone 3G S with no data plan for less then $20.00 I'd go to fido right now and sigh the contract if they gave me that great deal!