: Snow Leopard with CS4 Ram & hard drive question

i-rui
Sep 29th, 2009, 12:51 AM
So i've bought a new 1TB WD Caviar Black hard drive, and I'm finally ready to do a fresh install of snow leopard.

I have a few questions. I bought the WD Caviar Black hard drive because it's supposedly one of the fastest sata drives out (i guess besides a raptor). I was going to have a couple of partitions on it. One partition for the system OS, home folder and apps. The other partition for my work files. Should i create another small partition for a scratch disk (swap disk) for photoshop?? Or is that even an issue for me (I'm going to be upgrading my ram to 12 gbs).

Any comments on this partitioning scheme? My thought is i'd like to keep my work files separate since i can defragment them every now and then.

Secondly I'm curious about snow leopard & CS4s 3gb ram limitation. Is the limitation still there in snow leopard? Even if i run it in 64 bit mode?

Thanks in advance.

i-rui
Sep 29th, 2009, 01:09 PM
bump

FeXL
Sep 29th, 2009, 01:39 PM
The best thing you can do to speed up CS/PS is to have dedicated drives for everything-software, data, scratch. I really don't know how effective partitioned drives are, even though we used them in the past (just 'cause it was the thing to do...). What you are asking the single hard drive to do in a worst case scenario is to read/write image data, load software (say, a plugin) and to buffer memory, all at the same time. You will have other software running in the background (system, or even more), as well. With 3 independent drives you will have less slowdown and can defrag, replace, upgrade, whatever, as you wish. Just remember that they all will require backups, if you are going to do this properly (sans the Scratch).

As far as a scratch drive is concerned, we have 8GB of RAM (3 for PS) & have a dedicated 74GB Raptor. Just checked Page ins/outs, 260657/1970, so memory isn't handling everything.

My understanding is that CS4 for Macs is 32 bit only, therefore you will be limited to 3GB.

i-rui
Sep 29th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Thanks for the response.

I was hoping that if i used the 64bit snow leopard kernel it would at least allow CS4 to use more ram....

What you say about the hard drives makes sense. I can use 3 different hard drives, but i'll still probably use partitions on the hard drives just for my own organizational purposes.

But how big should i make the scratch disk? I imagine i could get away with a pretty small size ... like 6 GBs ?

Or should i make it larger and use that drive to hold render files for when i use final cut as well? (since they seem to be temp files as well)

FeXL
Sep 29th, 2009, 02:47 PM
But how big should i make the scratch disk? I imagine i could get away with a pretty small size ... like 6 GBs ?

Or should i make it larger and use that drive to hold render files for when i use final cut as well? (since they seem to be temp files as well)

Can't say anything for FC, but there is some solid info here (http://macperformanceguide.com/OptimizingPhotoshop-Intro.html) about optimizing PS, including scratch disks. Obviously, the sky is the limit, $-wise. :D

ScanMan
Sep 29th, 2009, 07:17 PM
...there is some solid info here (http://macperformanceguide.com/OptimizingPhotoshop-Intro.html) about optimizing PS...

Useful link, thanks for sharing.

i-rui
Oct 2nd, 2009, 03:21 PM
Yes i just wanted to echo that.

That's a REALLY fantastic link with a TON of useful info. (I'm been reading it off and on for the last couple of days)

His thought on partitioning seems to be that there's no reason to have more than 2 partitions on a drive. I guess i see his point SPEED wise, but i want to do it just for organizational purposes.

It seems the first partition will always be the fastest. I'm guessing the 3rd will be the slowest (which i don't have a problem with, i just want to have some stuff that might be accessed once a week so speed isn't an issue) I guess i'll just experiment to see if 3 partitions will negatively affect the first 2.

IllusionX
Oct 3rd, 2009, 11:25 AM
partitioning your disk will only slow down if the other partitions are used for more than just storage.

btw, you say the WD black (WD1001FALS) is the fastest drive next to the velociraptor. It was true in 2008. It is just NOT possible that any 3 platter 1TB drive can be faster than a 2 platters 1TB drive (seagate 7200.12) given same rotational speed.

in a single disk setup, it's best to put your scratch in your main partition.. probably your app also.
Once your project is done, then you can store it on a 2nd partition if you feel the need to do so. You should also keep note that your 2nd partition will NOT be backed up by TM.

i-rui
Oct 3rd, 2009, 02:29 PM
btw, you say the WD black (WD1001FALS) is the fastest drive next to the velociraptor. It was true in 2008. It is just NOT possible that any 3 platter 1TB drive can be faster than a 2 platters 1TB drive (seagate 7200.12) given same rotational speed.

I guess platters add another variable to the equation that makes it even more complex.

Are all platters accessed as quickly as each other? (i.e does the first platter get accessed as fast as a third)?

While a 2 platter drive would have more data density, i'm guessing a 3 platter would have a faster seek time?

Furthermore, would best results for partitioning drives come based on how many platters there are and multiplying by 2 (so each platter would have a fast outer partition, and a slow inner partition)?