: Question about Applecare for Macbook Pro 15

Sedul
Sep 25th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Hello there,

I have a refurb Penryn 15" Macbook Pro that I want to extend applecare and it's almost due soon Oct 19th, 2009.

I know Apple store online is selling for 349usd+tax for applecare coverage.

I read that the following products should work for macbook pro 15" coverage in Canada.

Applecare MA515LL/A - For older powerbooks but some say Macbook Pro 15"
Applecare MB588LL/A

Is this : AppleCare Warranty for MacBook Pro 15"/17" - MB588LL/A on eBay.ca (item 170385537592 end time 01-Oct-09 04:01:22 EDT) (http://cgi.ebay.ca/AppleCare-Warranty-for-MacBook-Pro-15-17-MB588LL-A_W0QQitemZ170385537592QQcmdZViewItemQQptZApple_La ptops?hash=item27abc4fa38&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_1617wt_1165)

the same as the one I would buy from Apple Store to Extend the Warranty on my Refurb 15" Macbook Pro? but for much less?

It says something about unibody but it shoudl work the same right?

Afterwards, I would go to the apple site to put in the Applecare ID + my product serial number to register?

Thanks,

chas_m
Sep 26th, 2009, 01:14 AM
I would strongly recommend not attempting to defraud Apple by buying AppleCare that is not matched to your model. Apple is well within its rights to deny you coverage if you attempt to use the wrong Applecare. There are plenty of legit dealers who sell Applecare at some discount (Ebay, Craigslist, Amazon, SIG Electronics), though you should be wary of scams.

DrewNL
Sep 26th, 2009, 03:42 AM
I would strongly recommend not attempting to defraud Apple by buying AppleCare that is not matched to your model. Apple is well within its rights to deny you coverage if you attempt to use the wrong Applecare. There are plenty of legit dealers who sell Applecare at some discount (Ebay, Craigslist, Amazon, SIG Electronics), though you should be wary of scams.

Come on.... you can educate people on the cons of buying online and speculate as to where or how this APP might have been acquired by the seller, but don't lie to them. 15" MBP is 15" MBP. Period. You're not "defrauding Apple by buying AppleCare that is not matched to your model".

This AppleCare DOES match the model in question; a MBP that is not 13". The fact that the eBay seller mentions that it works on the unibody ones seems to be just poor punctuation. It looks like those are meant as examples of covered 15" and 17" models.

mikeinmontreal
Sep 26th, 2009, 08:26 AM
I think you're fine with that Applecare. I just bought an older version of Applecare off Ebay last night that was for Macbook Pros and Powerbooks. It cost me $130 US, the seller had great seller feedback, he sent me the enrollment number and will be shipping me the box and all its contents, with the all-important serial number. Registered immediately and received the confirmation by email. I would maybe go with Ebay seller Macman; he seems to be the most legit on Ebay and has a great track record.

HowEver
Sep 26th, 2009, 12:26 PM

The first sentence was dealt with by DrewNL, now the second: seems plausible, but ambiguous. The eBay seller in the post above by mikeinmontreal is legit, and has the most consistently lowest pricing.

SiG sells an actual box with code, but it costs *way* more for AppleCare than it used to.

Craigslist would only work in person, from an actual box: anything else would be a scam. And I'd want to unseal the box myself, and register while paying to ensure credibility.

krs
Sep 27th, 2009, 08:47 PM
I would maybe go with Ebay seller Macman; he seems to be the most legit on Ebay and has a great track record.

Macman on ebay comes up as someone selling car accessories.

Who is the one selling Applecare?

jamesB
Sep 27th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Macman on ebay comes up as someone selling car accessories.

Who is the one selling Applecare?
search eBay for macman812.

krs
Sep 27th, 2009, 09:34 PM
search eBay for macman812.

Thank-you!

Although her is not as cheap as I thought.

What actually counts as the date the year is up to get Applecare when one bought on line at the Apple web store?
The order date, the ship date or the date the Mac is received?

chas_m
Sep 28th, 2009, 03:41 AM
What actually counts as the date the year is up to get Applecare when one bought on line at the Apple web store?
The order date, the ship date or the date the Mac is received?

None of these if you don't register with Apple. They use the date of manufacture if they can't find a record of your purchase.

If you (or the dealer) do register the purchase, the clock starts on the purchase date.

chas_m
Sep 28th, 2009, 03:49 AM
Come on.... you can educate people on the cons of buying online and speculate as to where or how this APP might have been acquired by the seller, but don't lie to them. 15" MBP is 15" MBP. Period.

Let's read that part of the original post again, shall we, with some bold augmentation to help your reading comprehension:

I read that the following products should work for macbook pro 15" coverage in Canada.

Applecare MA515LL/A - For older powerbooks but some say Macbook Pro 15"
Applecare MB588LL/A

This is what I was addressing, the "some say" that Applecare "for older powerbooks" will work for a MacBook Pro 15".

"Some" may think that, but "some" aren't going to help you when you present a claim and Apple says "That's for a Powerbook, sorry."

I was trying to steer the OP away from the fishy deal above and towards the legit deal he linked to, so that he doesn't screw himself out of service because "some" said the cheaper older Applecare part unit would work with his machine.

If I came across as being disapproving of any kind of discounted Applecare, that was not my intention. I love saving money as much as the next guy, but price should not be the only consideration, you have to throw risk in as a factor as well. Most people only find out if their Applecare is good when they really NEED it to be good, and then where will the "some say" people be?

Better safe than sorry when it comes to an extended warranty IMO.