: Hard drives

Olivia
Sep 24th, 2009, 05:01 PM
How do you change your main hard drive to being an external hard drive? Like say I want to upload pictures on to iphoto but I want them to be stored on the external hard drive and not the computer's hard drive, how can I do that? not only for iphoto but also itunes, etc. Any ideas/answers??

Mac info is: Mac OS X version 10.4.11

Thanks.

Niteshooter
Sep 24th, 2009, 08:05 PM
How do you change your main hard drive to being an external hard drive? Like say I want to upload pictures on to iphoto but I want them to be stored on the external hard drive and not the computer's hard drive, how can I do that? not only for iphoto but also itunes, etc. Any ideas/answers??

Mac info is: Mac OS X version 10.4.11

Thanks.

You can normally just purchase an external hard drive in a case that is USB2 or Firewire and plug that into your Mac. It will mount on your desktop as another hard drive and then you can just save your pix etc on there.

Though if you mean taking your old hard drive out and placing it into an external case that can also be done. I like to swap out my main hard drives every three years just in case. Then just place your new drive into your mac and off you go.

Kevin

chas_m
Sep 24th, 2009, 08:16 PM

iPhoto and iTunes both allow you to store libraries (multiple libraries) anywhere you want. They will of course act oddly if you open those programs and the library they're expecting to be there isn't, so you have to bear that in mind, but you can create iPhoto or iTunes libraries on any drive you wish. The key with both programs is to hold down the Option key at launch.

Olivia
Mar 15th, 2010, 02:04 AM
So I have some more external hard drive questions!
I use my external hard drive on one computer and have an itunes library saved onto the hard drive and my ipod hasn't been working to update it from that so I thought if I plugged in my hard drive to another computer in the house and opened the itunes library from the hard drive on that computer it might work, but when I opened the itunes library from the external hard drive on the other computer it just opened the itunes library that is saved onto that computer instead of the external hard drive...any insight as to why thats happening or how to fix it??