: iPhone unresponsive (sometimes) in iPod mode after 3.1 upgrade

whatiwant
Sep 24th, 2009, 09:48 AM
G'morning all. I'm just wondering if anyone else is having a similar issue to the one I'm having.

For the past two mornings, I have run into troubles, while walking to work and listening to music on my iPhone. On each separate occasion, I pause the music on the iPod app of the phone (from the headphones) and when I go to resume, nothing happens. Each time, I've tried repeatedly to resume from the headphone controls to no avail. Each time I have removed the device from my pocket and tried waking it by pressing the home button, or the power button.... Nothing. Both times, I have needed to apply a hard reset (home + power and hold) in order to completely reboot the device, at which point it exhibits the normal behaviour once again.

Has anyone else encountered this error, or could anyone else offer a reason why this would be happening.

Further info: iPhone 3G, 3.1 fw (full restore, not upgrade) , NOT jailbroken or hacked in any way.

Thanks for reading.

(( p g ))
Sep 24th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Can't say that I've noticed this with mine.

monokitty
Sep 24th, 2009, 11:10 AM
I would restore the iPhone, then reload your content. Failing that, it might be a possible hardware problem with the device. I've never had that problem on my 3GS. (Running 3.1.)

whatiwant
Sep 24th, 2009, 11:37 AM
I would restore the iPhone, then reload your content. Failing that, it might be a possible hardware problem with the device. I've never had that problem on my 3GS. (Running 3.1.)

I was really hoping I wouldn't have to do that, as I did a full restore on the weekend, to go to 3.1.

anyhow, thanks guys.

Snyp1
Sep 24th, 2009, 12:19 PM
I am having the exact same problem. I'll try restoring my phone and see if that helps or it's back to apple store for my 11th or 12th replacement :rolleyes:

whatiwant
Sep 24th, 2009, 01:02 PM
I am having the exact same problem. I'll try restoring my phone and see if that helps or it's back to apple store for my 11th or 12th replacement :rolleyes:
Hey thanks for the response.

Exact same as in, a hard reset, solves the problem?
I'm thinking it's more likely to be a 3.1 software issue rather than a hardware issue... at least I hope it is.

11th or 12th?!!? jeez, I thought I was doing well with my "5th time lucky" iPhone 3G :eek:

harrisjr
Sep 24th, 2009, 04:01 PM
I'm having the same issue. Happens to me 4 or 5 times a week. Started with the 3.1 firmware. Thankfully it doesn't seem to be hardware related and looks like a known software issue. See the thread on the Apple forums.

Apple - Support - Discussions - 3.1 -- Unresponsive iPhone? ... (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2151766)

I hope they fix this soon. It's getting very annoying.

PS: I've done a full restore/backup and a restore/start-from- scratch and it did not resolve my problem.

whatiwant
Sep 24th, 2009, 04:33 PM
I'm having the same issue. Happens to me 4 or 5 times a week. Started with the 3.1 firmware. Thankfully it doesn't seem to be hardware related and looks like a known software issue. See the thread on the Apple forums.

Apple - Support - Discussions - 3.1 -- Unresponsive iPhone? ... (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2151766)

I hope they fix this soon. It's getting very annoying.

PS: I've done a full restore/backup and a restore/start-from- scratch and it did not resolve my problem.
ahhhhh. Good find!

ok. makes sense. One of my friends has been having the same problem. I guess we now wait for 3.1.1

good times.
:)

Snyp1
Sep 24th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Hey thanks for the response.
Exact same as in, a hard reset, solves the problem?
I'm thinking it's more likely to be a 3.1 software issue rather than a hardware issue... at least I hope it is.

11th or 12th?!!? jeez, I thought I was doing well with my "5th time lucky" iPhone 3G :eek:

Yeah I gotta do a hard reset then it works for a while.

My last two iphones worked like a charm untill I had dust stuck under the screen and the back of the plastic making popping/cracking noise. Now I have that problem again on this one >.>. Only IF apple would give you a non refurb all the time without a 50/50 chance on getting one xD

harrisjr
Oct 8th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Looks like a patch has been issued by Apple for this.

iPhone and iPod touch: Unable to wake from sleep (http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3054)

Good luck!

whatiwant
Oct 8th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Looks like a patch has been issued by Apple for this.

iPhone and iPod touch: Unable to wake from sleep (http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3054)

Good luck!

seems to have solved it for me thus far.:clap: