: Rogers is scrapping the $6.95 SAF and replacing it with a "regulatory recovery fee"

Ottawaman
Sep 22nd, 2009, 09:38 PM
Rogers is scrapping the $6.95 system access fee and replacing it with a "regulatory recovery fee" that will differ by province ($2.46 to $3.46). In addition, Rogers is raising the base rates of its plans by $5.

Rogers axes system access fee but adds new charge (http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2009/09/22/rogers-scrapping-system-access-fee.html?ref=rss)

Nice. They've somehow increased the cost of your bill by removing fees. Wow.

Wonderful.

chas_m
Sep 22nd, 2009, 10:07 PM
Proof, if any still be needed, that the SAF was complete bullcrap the entire time. They might as well drop the pretence and just call it the "Manufactured Extra Profit Fee"

mrjimmy
Sep 22nd, 2009, 10:10 PM
Meet the new boss...

Ottawaman
Sep 22nd, 2009, 10:15 PM
6.95 fee gone.
2.46 to 3.46 + 5.00 = what a bargain...for Rogers

EvanPitts
Sep 23rd, 2009, 11:20 AM
Another example of why we need to adopt Capitalism, and have some real competition in this country...

lyonsnet
Sep 23rd, 2009, 11:32 AM
Ok so some people will pay slightly less and some will pay slightly more... but I can't seem to find anywhere a definition of what a "regulatory recovery fee" actually is for :lmao:

Cheers,

Snowy
Sep 23rd, 2009, 11:40 AM
It also appears that LD has gone up.
A CSR told me yesterday that it's .35 per min. This summer I paid .30 per min. (within Canada).

monokitty
Sep 23rd, 2009, 06:38 PM
Glad I'm with Fido...

rondini
Sep 23rd, 2009, 07:35 PM
Glad I'm with Fido...

Too Funny by half!!!

GratuitousApplesauce
Sep 24th, 2009, 12:45 AM
Proof, if any still be needed, that the SAF was complete bullcrap the entire time. They might as well drop the pretence and just call it the "Manufactured Extra Profit Fee"

I understand that it was in fact bullcrap. The first year or two of cell phones existing, back in the mists of time, the CRTC made the carriers buy a radio licence for each customer, which was passed on as a system access fee. After that when cell popularity exploded, the CRTC scrapped the requirement and just charged the carriers for a bulk licence, which amounted to a couple of pennies per customer or less.

The carriers just forgot to tell their customers this bit of info. What ever happened to the class action suit against the carriers for collecting this fee under false pretences? There are many people who have faithfully paid this fee for a decade and a half or even more.

In addition to this new "regulatory recovery fee" I think they should look into charging extra for a few of their other costs of doing business. How about a "cleaning of the CEO summer home bathrooms fee" or a "donuts and coffee at meetings fee" or a "buying nice carpets for head office fee" or a "getting the good brand of toilet paper in the executive bathroom fee"? And of course, "providing a fat bonus to the genius who thought up the regulatory recovery fee fee".

ertman
Sep 24th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Another example of why we need to adopt Capitalism, and have some real competition in this country...

Half of this problem was created by capitalism, such that the companies buy/merge with others to become more competitive with other firms in the market, and now we have two.

Remember when they use to say it was a government mandated fee? What I don't get is why we have to pay a system access fee for service we are already paying to use the service. They should just include these fees in the price of the plans, but this is hard for them to do and be competitive in the market place.