: iTunes and Front Row problems

Macified
Sep 22nd, 2009, 10:05 AM
Hey everyone,

Front Row on my MacBook Pro is not seeing everything that is listed in my iTunes. When I choose sources in Front Row, the local device shows up with an old name. Some new items are showing up but not all. For instance, season 1 of a show is available to Front Row but not season 2, some shows don't appear at all. As I mentioned, the source is showing an old name.

If I use Front Row on another home computer and point it at my MacBook Pro the source name is correct and all items appear to be available.

How to I get my local system to update it's iTunes/Front Row link?

Thanks

Macified
Sep 23rd, 2009, 08:50 PM
In case anyone was following this thread for an answer, I have it sorted out.

Don't know how or why but the two particular shows that weren't showing up seemed to have corrupt TV Show names and did show up under a new Various show category in Front Row. After deleting and re-typing the show name in all the episodes, they show up fine in Front Row.

The source name issue is that when I look at the local source within Front Row I see the local computer name. When I look at a shared source from another computer I am looking at the iTunes name.

chas_m
Sep 23rd, 2009, 10:19 PM
The follow-up is appreciated by future readers who will search for answers to this problem. Thanks.

Macified
Sep 25th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Well, it looked like I had my problem fixed but it's actually worse.

After renaming some shows they appeared properly in Front Row. After a restart of my computer though, there are now more shows in Front Row under names like Untitled and Various (including the ones that I just renamed).

Is this a corrupted iTunes library file that is giving mixed signals to Front Row? How do I get my iTunes to rebuild the library without having to re-enter data for my shows and movies. The shows and movies I have in the library are ripped from my own legally purchased DVDs and, therefore don't necessarily have all the meta tagging that iTunes adds.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Macified
Oct 18th, 2009, 04:17 PM
So I trashed my iTunes preferences and re-imported my the iTunes xml file. 90% of the video in my library reset to "movie" so I took the time and toggled "tv show" or "music video" for all the appropriate files. iTunes now looks like it did before. Unfortunately, so does Front Row. There is a big list of tv shows that show up under various or untitled and some of the tv shows that are incorrectly categorized also show up in the movie list.

Any suggestions?

mguertin
Oct 18th, 2009, 10:26 PM
I don't have a good answer to solve the problems for iTunes and Front Row, but here's what I did to solve them ... I stopped loading my video into iTunes and stopped using Front Row. I fought with it constantly. I now use Plex (which may or may not be a good solution for you, Plex Media Center for OS X (http://plexapp.com) )

One downfall with not using iTunes/FrontRow is that I can't play my purchased ITMS content. My solution to that was to stop giving them my money for DRM locked content!

Macified
Oct 19th, 2009, 10:22 AM
I don't have a good answer to solve the problems for iTunes and Front Row, but here's what I did to solve them ... I stopped loading my video into iTunes and stopped using Front Row. I fought with it constantly. I now use Plex (which may or may not be a good solution for you, Plex Media Center for OS X (http://plexapp.com) )

One downfall with not using iTunes/FrontRow is that I can't play my purchased ITMS content. My solution to that was to stop giving them my money for DRM locked content!

So far my sane work around has been installing Sapphire for Front Row. It gives access to generally unsupported files types and allow you to browse your movie folder. By storing my tv shows and movies in folders (until watched and offloaded to a server drive) I can see everything where it should be. Supports iTunes media as well since it's running inside Front Row.

Just wish the straight up iTunes/Front Row combo didn't cack on me. I want to add an AppleTV to the mix for one of our rooms but if I can't trust iTunes to manage my files properly, the AppleTV will just be an expensive rental box.

mguertin
Oct 19th, 2009, 03:40 PM
I had all the same issues with FrontRow and more, which is why I gave up on it. I was constantly "fixing" my iTunes library and fighting with FrontRow to pick up the updates. I finally decided it just wasn't worth it.

Veej
Oct 19th, 2009, 06:05 PM
I only use front row to play trailers, and the occasional home movie when I can't sleep.