: I cancelled my Cable and feel good about it!

Rubbie
Sep 21st, 2009, 05:54 PM
Well it took me all summer of thinking about it, but I finally made the call and a Rogers rep came by Saturday morning and I handed him my HD cable box.

After long deliberation I decited to stop the $100.00 monthly cable bill to Rogers and decided that only watching sports in HD and the odd Seinfeld, Family Guy and Simpsons episode was not worth it. The final straw was when the fall season advertising came touting "Dancing with the Stars", really is that what network TV is??? I guess I'll miss the convenience of watching the Olympics but I'll get over it.

Wondering if anyone else has done it. I'll rent the shows and movies I want when I want them.

JAMG
Sep 21st, 2009, 06:00 PM
Cancelled mine 6 years ago and the universe has not crumbled yet.

At least not according to CityTV

darkscot
Sep 21st, 2009, 06:04 PM
After ten years without we decided to splurge and get a basic cable pkg. 3 months later and we're still just watching the same channels we got with just the rabbit ears. I think our cable will be cut soon. Long live iTunes TV Shows :)

whatiwant
Sep 21st, 2009, 06:07 PM
if I didnt get basic cable free with my interweb connection, i would even consider dropping roger for interwebs as well. but i guess this "free tv with internet" promo ;) has got me by the tight&curlies.

monokitty
Sep 21st, 2009, 06:17 PM
After long deliberation I decited to stop the $100.00 monthly cable bill to Rogers and decided that only watching sports in HD and the odd Seinfeld, Family Guy and Simpsons episode was not worth it.

Torrents...

Err, I mean, rent them in iTunes! ;)

I couldn't deal paying $100 plus a month for TV. Most of what's on TV is so bad...

ComputerIdiot
Sep 21st, 2009, 06:37 PM
I haven't had cable in longer than I can remember.

Well, technically, I did have cable at my last apartment building (included in the rent), but for whatever reason, I could never get it to work. Was using an old TV set that I bought second-hand; that might have been the problem. I used it to watch my DVDs and VHS tapes. Still have the TV and plan to continue using it only for that (especially since now I have to pay separately for cable!)

There are a few stations I'd like to get but not enough to strain my student budget for it -- especially since, from what I know of the matter, it's almost impossible to pick only the stations you really want to watch ... you have to pick large packages including a lot of stuff you have no intention of ever watching.

MazterCBlazter
Sep 21st, 2009, 06:43 PM

HowEver
Sep 21st, 2009, 06:52 PM
I'm looking forward to the season premiere of The Big Bang Theory tonight, and How I Met Your Mother.

What was this thread about again?

rgray
Sep 21st, 2009, 07:02 PM
What was this thread about again?

http://www.petplace.com/articles/images/202988365.jpg

Sonal
Sep 21st, 2009, 07:20 PM
I've gone for short periods without cable and enjoyed them... was way more productive.

Even now, I contemplate cutting it and just watching the odd show or two online, but something about the hours lost to mindless pap somehow holds me back....

chas_m
Sep 21st, 2009, 09:47 PM
Television could be a fantastic medium of good information and real entertainment.

Could be, and is. I certainly agree that a majority of it is garbage, but there's PLENTY of great stuff out there and not hard to find. Knowledge Network, Turner Classic Movies, Bold are just three examples of channels that have at least 50% interesting content on all day, every day.

In addition, there are many high-quality shows that do a great job of a) entertaining and b) showcasing the medium. Check out THE WIRE, or MAD MEN, or DOCTOR WHO for that matter. Just a few examples of really great stuff.

I've noticed that on Trek the writers are really short on original ideas, and they retreat to the holo deck frequently for a make believe game of baseball or other soap opera style BS.

TNG is *never* to be referred to as "Trek." There was the original Star Trek, then there was a host of considerably lesser Trek-inspired shows. IMHO, "Next Gen" (the show you are talking about) jumped the shark on the pilot, went back and had one good year, then jumped the shark again. Those shows were so "of their moment," perhaps enjoyable at the time (not to me, but to some), but have REALLY not held up well. I happened to recently watch one of the later TNG movies (had to, research) and MAN was that painful.

Congrats on cutting the cable. More people need to cut it and tell the companies if they would put something worthwhile on at least once in a while, you wouldn't mind paying for it.

Broadly agreed, but the real issue is that, despite the technology having been widely available for years, the cable operators won't let us pay "a la carte" for JUST the channels we like.

Which is why so many in this thread (and on the leading edge in general) are using services like iTunes to selectively support just the shows they want, and leaving the garbage behind.

This is already starting to get noticed.

RiceBoy
Sep 21st, 2009, 09:55 PM
I'm considering buying an HD antenna and seeing how well it works. I've read that some people in the Toronto area are successfully catching all the digital HD stations as far as Buffalo with a $25 antenna. It beats having to pay the exorbitant amount to Rogers every month. I don't even watch much TV anymore. I would miss watching some of my sports, although all of our pro sports teams in Toronto aren't worth watching anyway. :rolleyes:

fellfromtree
Sep 21st, 2009, 10:45 PM
Cut the cable several yeas ago for service reasons (or lack of service). I get 2 channels. One is CBC- news, hockey, and the occasional infotainment show. The other channel for the Tonight Show monologue now and then. More than enough.

MazterCBlazter
Sep 21st, 2009, 10:51 PM

bryanc
Sep 21st, 2009, 11:40 PM
I haven't had cable since 1984.

Haven't missed it at all.

Back then there was nothing on worth watching, now there's so much worth watching that I'm afraid of all the time I'd waste.

Cheers

eMacMan
Sep 22nd, 2009, 12:23 AM
Seriously considering ditching the TV part. Probably after the Olympics.

groovetube
Sep 22nd, 2009, 01:16 AM
have one of the single ones EagleStar Satellite Products (http://www.eaglestarpro.com/display.php?categoryID=53-6&groupID=9)

Got it from above all on bloor for 29 bucks. Buh bye rogers and their 100 cable tv bills. Get a ton of very clear channels.

Less channel surfing, more doing other things.

ScanMan
Sep 22nd, 2009, 01:47 AM
I really don't sit and "watch" anything, and gave up on TV years ago.

I'm kinda with Jobs on this...that we're all here to make a dent. I'd just rather not make it on the sofa.

chas_m
Sep 22nd, 2009, 09:24 AM
we're all here to make a dent. I'd just rather not make it on the sofa.

THAT is sooooo nicked. Bravo.

polywog
Sep 22nd, 2009, 09:42 AM
It's been 6 months for us. Only things I really miss are Discovery and Space. So nice not remembering the last time I was a commercial though.

rustamanyana
Sep 22nd, 2009, 09:49 AM
I'm considering buying an HD antenna and seeing how well it works. I've read that some people in the Toronto area are successfully catching all the digital HD stations as far as Buffalo with a $25 antenna. It beats having to pay the exorbitant amount to Rogers every month. I don't even watch much TV anymore. I would miss watching some of my sports, although all of our pro sports teams in Toronto aren't worth watching anyway. :rolleyes:

I haven't had cable in over ten years. I have a small antenna and we get about 12 HD channels.

Check out this forum for notes on OTA television.
Over-The-Air (OTA) Digital Television - Digital Forum (http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=81)

there's a place in mississauga called Save and Replay, sells some good antennas, and they were featured in the star and some of the local television channels a few months back.

imactheknife
Sep 22nd, 2009, 09:56 AM
We haven't had cable in over 3 years and I don't miss it one bit. I watch the odd amazing race (old ones) where I can find them. We buy some season series but over all we don't watch anything.

SoyMac
Sep 22nd, 2009, 10:31 AM
My tenant made his own HD antenna for his apartment. Now he spends all his free time on his girlfriend's couch at her place, watching cablevision.

We had rabbit ears for years, mainly to watch hockey.
The reception provided us with double and triple-vision, and we'd have to phone friends to find out the score because the screen was too blurry to read the score.

For my Sweetie one year, for Valentine's Day, I got cable.
The hockey watching is great, and the design shows play all evening.

We live pretty busy lives (my workday started at 3 AM yesterday, and ended at 8 PM), and tv watching is one way we de-stress (except when the Sens are on a losing streak).

But if my cable bill was 100 dollars, I would cut it.

DS
Sep 22nd, 2009, 11:30 AM
I, on the other hand, just got cable.

You think internet service is expensive and slow in Canada, and that Bell and Telus are huge monopolies? It's got nothing on the massive crap-pile monopoly of a phone company here, Telmex. Up until about a month ago I had no other choice for internet service as well, and was paying those clowns pretty much $70 for 2 meg down, 256kb up internet service.

Thank god something must have happened and a cable company was allowed to set up shop in my neighbourhood, I'm almost certain that when this neighbourhood went up, the phone and satellite companies had some sort of exclusivity agreement or something, so they could bend us over as far as possible. I haven't had TV service the entire time I've been here, but the offering by the cable company was a no-brainer.

I'm now paying less than half the amount of money for a double-play pack that includes 2 meg internet and digital television, and I couldn't be happier.

Rubbie
Sep 22nd, 2009, 11:35 AM
Thanks for all the support, wow it really didn't think there was a large contingent of folks out there, but when I mentioned it at work there were a couple of folks who did it and liked it, but most of the people sat and staired at me like i was a crazy person.

I think I might try the antenna to see if I can get CBC to watch hockey but its been a couple of days and I haven't missed it at all so I might not bother, anyway I can grab the game on the radio so I can work on my RC planes and organise my iPhoto library.

ScanMan
Sep 22nd, 2009, 11:56 AM
...anyway I can grab the game on the radio so I can work on my RC planes and organise my iPhoto library.

That's the ticket! :clap:

Adrian.
Sep 22nd, 2009, 12:12 PM
Livestation on my Mac for news (BBC & Al Jazeera); CTV.ca/CBC.ca/Fox.com/NBC.com/ABC.com/CBS.com + hotspot shield.

Watch all my shows on demand! I installed Silverlight and now I can watch them in HD.

That plus torrents and some iTunes and I am good to go!

whatiwant
Sep 22nd, 2009, 12:17 PM
Welcome to Audiovox (http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=14370&langId=-1)

I got one of these last week from tigerdirect. i don't receive nearly as many hd channels as I thought I'd get. the only clear canadian ones are ctv, suntv, and tsn (i think, otherwise it's espn). I also get two american channels. I live on the 28th floor of my building, on the northeast corner so unfortunately I don't have line of sight to the cn tower. all in all tho, i still rarely watch tv, mainly because I find tv commercials offensive.

ScanMan
Sep 22nd, 2009, 12:28 PM
i still rarely watch tv, mainly because I find tv commercials offensive.

That's how I made my money. And like you, a major reason I no longer watch.

whatiwant
Sep 22nd, 2009, 12:31 PM
That's how I made my money. And like you, a major reason I no longer watch.
especially jingles. oh god. one of these days I'm going to have the alarm force jingle caught up in my spaghetti for too long and I'm going to end up taking a swan dive off the balcony because of it.
XX)

bsenka
Sep 22nd, 2009, 12:36 PM
I'm not so much opposed to having cable. I do watch UFC and hockey games fairly often, and I'm almost always doing something else at the same time (working out, painting,etc) so it's seldom just dead time for me. I just can't justify how much it costs. Shaw raised their rates gain, and I'm at $120/mo for cable and internet. MTS is offering a similar package for between $40 and $60. If it weren't for the hassle of changing my long standing email address, I think I would have switched already. That, and Shaw's internet is crazy fast.

A la carte is what I really want. I'd be getting about 6 channels, none of which are in the same tier as another.

JCCanuck
Sep 22nd, 2009, 11:58 PM
It was decided two months ago that the only reason we have cable was too watch Heroes with my son and Disney Channel for my son and esp. daughter. Realizing that the Disney channel was a smorgasbord of repeats of garbage like Raven and that Heroes was losing it's spark we had cable... cancelled. PLUS this cancellation included the HD portion. One cable guy was nice enough to tell us that the cables running underground in our Mississauga area was 30 years old. This will not give us optimum HD channels so of course that's another reason we had cable...cancelled.
We now watch our TV shows on rented DVD's and the odd download from the net at our leisure.
Oh yeah I forgot, cables going from tree limb to tree limb in our neighbourhood for over a year. Disgusting!

gordguide
Sep 23rd, 2009, 08:09 AM
Killed the cable about 10 years ago, ran a dish for a while. Killed the dish around 2004. Never looked back. I go to a buddy's house to watch football & hockey, the news is here on the Mac. Done.

You know, you can still have a good TV set in the home ... they still rent movies you know. Grab a good flick, sit down for two hours (or four) and then get back to your life.

When I bought the house I'm living in now, I called the cable company and forced them to pull the drop. I couldn't hook up cable now even if I wanted to.

It wasn't easy but "we're demolishing the house tomorrow; it's either you or the $10 an hour labourers with axes and sledge hammers I hired" finally got them over pretty quick. Ahh, gotta love the "little white lie" ...

Now I get a letter every month from Shaw, addressed to "current resident". Not sure what they say ;-) but it's nice to know they waste five bucks a month on it (average cost to business of sending out a letter).

Bonus: get back control of your sleep :-)

eMacMan
Sep 23rd, 2009, 10:56 AM
Sadly all of our over the air channels are via repeaters and only one channel comes in at all cleanly. I think if we had the basic 4 cable would already be gone however this years crop of crap may hasten that decision especially as our cable bill now tops $60/month for the most basic of packages. Couple that with reduced income due to obscenely low interest rates and Shaw may well lose the TV portion of our business.

SINC
Sep 23rd, 2009, 11:12 AM
Sadly all of our over the air channels are via repeaters and only one channel comes in at all cleanly. I think if we had the basic 4 cable would already be gone however this years crop of crap may hasten that decision especially as our cable bill now tops $60/month for the most basic of packages. Couple that with reduced income due to obscenely low interest rates and Shaw may well lose the TV portion of our business.

You can get basic satellite service for less than half that amount. ;)

Bell TV packages start at $18/month with a $3/month basic receiver rental and the dish and installation is free.

Just sayin'.

thegoat54
Sep 24th, 2009, 03:23 AM
BAN THIS THREAD!

I work for a cable company. I like my job. Keep subscribing please. :D

SINC
Sep 24th, 2009, 07:41 AM
I have a basic package with Bell TV which includes all the HD channels. I now find that I only watch HD and rarely stray out of the 800 channel series, all HDTV. If I didn't need the basic package and TSN to get the HD stuff, I would only subscribe to HDTV. (There are no stations broadcasting HD in Edmonton.) The clarity of the picture is so far superior to that of my neighbours on cable, two of them converted to satellite as well. (The cable in the ground here was laid in the 1970s and Shaw has never bothered to upgrade it since.)

groovetube
Sep 24th, 2009, 07:45 AM
yes the quality of the HD on cable is terrible.

The HD I get of my antenna is stunning, totally uncompressed. I'm now getting like 16 channels and I haven't finished setting this up properly yet. And it's FREE. :)

imactheknife
Sep 24th, 2009, 09:06 AM
I love it when Rogers tries to sell us cable (since we have Rogers home phone & internet) and I have to tell them again and again t hat we don't even own a T.V! but they keep calling. I almost want to kill off everything with Rogers but whats the alternative in Ontario? Bell hahahahaha right.

JCCanuck
Sep 24th, 2009, 09:14 AM

The HD I get of my antenna is stunning, totally uncompressed. I'm now getting like 16 channels and I haven't finished setting this up properly yet. And it's FREE. :)

Groovetube, I was looking into the HD antenna, where is the best place to get it and is it easy to set-up? Plus is one model better than another? Thanks!

rustamanyana
Sep 24th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Groovetube, I was looking into the HD antenna, where is the best place to get it and is it easy to set-up? Plus is one model better than another? Thanks!

Check out Save and Replay,
Channel Master,Winegard, Viewsat Distributor, Channel master 4221hd and 4228hd, channel master 7777 preamp, Channel Master Antenna and OTA Over the air Products and Viewsat FTA Distributor (http://www.saveandreplay.com/)

they're located in mississauga, and you can get a really good 4 bay antenna there. also, there really is no such thing as an HD antenna. Any antenna can receive the HD signal, your TV needs to have an ATSC tuner to view the HD signal.

The store has a TV hooked up to an antenna so that you can easily see what you can expect.

screature
Sep 24th, 2009, 11:22 AM

Not on mine, your mileage must vary depending on your provider. We are in Quebec and have Videotron. The HD is awesome!

screature
Sep 24th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Gonna run against the grain of this thread.

I have cable and love it, wouldn't be without it. If people watch crap they have no one to blame but themselves. The are so many speciality channels now where the programming is so much more interesting than what the major networks put out there is no excuse for watching bad TV.

I find the key to enjoying watching TV these days is to have DVR/PVR. Record what you want to watch and then watch when you want to watch it or have the time. If you do this you should never find yourself in the situation where "there is nothing on" because you will have something on your hard drive that is worth watching.

My favourite cable channels are, in no particular order:

Animal Planet
PBS
Discovery
National Geographic
Food Network
IFC (Independant Film Channel)
Bravo
TLC
iChannel (documentaries)
HGTV

jimbotelecom
Sep 24th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Me too.

I out ordered Bell TV 2 weeks ago. They need a month's notice to disconnect so it's gone in early October.

Reasons -

I hooked up an old antenna I had to my TV and much to my surprise I receive uncompressed HDTV for CBC french and english (far superior to cable or sat HD). I also learned that PBS from Watertown New York is boosting it's signal to cover Ottawa with HD signal.

That and there is so much great downloadable content available without advertising that I just had to save the $1200 per year bill.

The only thing I will miss are Habs games on RDS.

$1200 per year makes a nice contribution to some new apple gear in the future.:D

screature
Sep 24th, 2009, 12:14 PM
That and there is so much great downloadable content available without advertising that I just had to save the $1200 per year bill.

You were spending $100/mnth on cable!? :eek: Wow! you must have been getting every channel going. We pay about $55/mnth with Videotron and get every channel we want and none we don't.

jimbotelecom
Sep 24th, 2009, 12:30 PM
You were spending $100/mnth on cable!? :eek: Wow! you must have been getting every channel going. We pay about $55/mnth with Videotron and get every channel we want and none we don't.

Yup! Basic service plus various packages plus HD channels came to $91 per month plus taxes = over $100 per month.

I used the french language option on 310 BELL to cancel and went to a New Brunswick call centre instead of Bangalore; the guy tried very hard to retain me as I client offering a 20% discount. He didn't believe when I told him about free uncompressed HD.

The thing I resented about the packages were all the channels we never watched just to get BBC for example. When I lived in Toronto I had a great service from Look TV where I could pick exactly what I wanted and my bill was about $35 per month. Look went bankrupt though.

I'll receive further household savings when I disconnect all the gear from the wall sockets.:clap:

BTW, screature you should try an antenna to bring in CBC from the mountain on your side of the river. The difference in HD is dramatic.

screature
Sep 24th, 2009, 01:00 PM
BTW, screature you should try an antenna to bring in CBC from the mountain on your side of the river. The difference in HD is dramatic.

I don't know, it seems you guys on the Ontario side aren't happy with your cable HD. Our HD through Videotron is great, I really don't know how it could be better than what I am seeing now as it is crystal clear, razor sharp, rich vibrant colours. I think Rogers must be screwing you guys.

BTW over here we can get a basic package for $14 and then go a la carte and just cherry pick the channels we want for a couple of bucks a month per channel. Like I said we get only the channels we want and none we don't.

Manatus
Sep 24th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Personally I don't even see the big deal about HD. I can definitely tell the difference when I see them side by side, but I don't feel as though it adds all that much to my viewing pleasure.

I totally agree about Rogers screwing us though, I wish I could just pick the channels I wanted. Not only do they have tons of "bundles" with two good channels packaged with five or more that you'll never watch, but some channels (e.g. TSN) you can only get by buying the full VIP package.

eMacMan
Sep 24th, 2009, 02:48 PM
You can get basic satellite service for less than half that amount. ;)

Bell TV packages start at $18/month with a $3/month basic receiver rental and the dish and installation is free.

Just sayin'.

So that would increase basic slo-pitch cable internet from $24 to $31/month + $21/month for Bell. Savings of about $10/month. Somehow just pulling the plug on the TV and going to High speed at $44/month is somewhat more appealing.